Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by EricJ » May 4th, 2021, 2:09 am

Ben wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:09 pm
Er...and you know it doesn’t connect to Phase 4...how?
Because...it was originally MCU's second attempt to come up with a new "team" to rival Fox's X-Men, when the Inhumans didn't go over on TV?

Now, of course, they DO own Fox, and minor X-characters should start showing up in the MCUs any minute. If they did manage to find some excuse to work Whoever the Heck These Guys Are into the actual canon, seeing as they were never real members of any other print team anyway, more power to 'em.
Ben wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:09 pm
much more than "Chloe Zhao-mania", whatever that is.
Oh, thank you. Even if you were just pretending, it's refreshing to NOT hear someone in the last week say "Chloe Zhao is a real woman and Asian 'n stuff, and won an OSCAR! Is this a sign that social evolution is now changing, etc?

I was starting to think there was no one else in the world who also didn't care about Nomadland, but the conversations here always refresh my faith in humanity. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2021, 3:05 am

Nomadland is a beautiful, lovely little film that’s just about normal, nice people being normal and nice to each other. We could do with more of that, as a people (and maybe a little more around here especially?)...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 4th, 2021, 7:58 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 5th, 2021, 7:15 pm

"Loki" will now premiere mid-week starting June 9th, with episodes dropping every Wednesday after. I prefer Fridays myself. Maybe it was done to help the servers?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Good point. I liked Fridays too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 14th, 2021, 4:05 pm

"The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" has come and gone. I enjoyed it. The last episode felt a bit rushed though, and was expecting John Walker to play a much bigger role in stopping the good guys. The twist at the end..! Made sense however.

"WandaVision" is still my favorite. I just loved the slow reveals, the mystery and the feeling of not knowing. That, and the homages to classic sitcoms. So unique! Sure, the end leaned back into the usual formula but I was still satisfied. Very curious to see the threads continue, most of all the potential of more Kathryn Hahn/Agatha!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 24th, 2021, 10:08 am

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 24th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Excellent! Probably didn't the "name dropping" at the end, but I guess they wanted to make sure the audience knew this was a MARVEL movie. Still, breathtaking usage of music there.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Nice transition to the Marvel Studios logo. Almost looked like Bucky for a second there. Great use of "The End of the World" by Skeeter Davis. Looks good so far.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 24th, 2021, 5:40 pm

Not much to see, yet it hooked me. I like the feel of this one so far.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » May 24th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Me too. I think Eternals looks interesting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Uh-oh... Jolie as a blonde. That never bodes well... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 26th, 2021, 1:24 pm

And having finally caught the trailer....ermmm-yyyYEAH. :?

Let's just say, it LOOKS like the sort of Marvel movie that Angelina Jolie would do. (Or that Chloe Zhao would direct.)
And you thought Black Panther was too full of its own social narcissism.
Dacey wrote:
May 24th, 2021, 12:48 pm
Excellent! Probably didn't the "name dropping" at the end, but I guess they wanted to make sure the audience knew this was a MARVEL movie. Still, breathtaking usage of music there.
More like convince us this was a Marvel movie, just like the Netflix Daredevil had to keep talking about "What happened in NYC".
(And at least they used the real song, not the default Creepy Girl or Piano-Plinking version.)

No, the Goofy Guy's probably not going to "lead the Avengers", and it's probably the only time they'll be mentioned in the script before some attempt at a mid-credit tease to try and link them with some other actual character.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2021, 3:13 pm

Again...this is world, or more appropriately universe, building. Guardians Of The Galaxy had two totally unconnected full films before they ended up colliding with the Avengers. The Eternals might not be named referenced for several films (and series) before they come crashing back into Phase 4 (or even 5) to save the day/world/galaxy/universe.

C'mon. You know how this works. :rol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 26th, 2021, 3:29 pm

But, of course, even then the Guardians were connected, since SOMEBODY had to do the dirty space work of explaining Thanos and the Gauntlet, and the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer were elsewhere employed.
It's franchise-arc plot exposition, it has to go somewhere...

Not to mention, there were fans who had actually heard of the GotG, as Rocket & Groot were then just starting to develop a cult following in the print comics. And then, only in the last few years, unlike the Golden Age of Jack Kirby.

Basically, we're looking at Marvel's one movie that was abandoned by all four ideas for Phase IV (their old "Fox-killer" team), but they'd already started shooting, so it was too late. Again, maybe they'll re-edit in some actual connection to Multiverses, teen-girl heroines or Norman Osborne.