Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by Daniel » January 18th, 2021, 2:37 pm

"WandaVision" is awesome. I'm confused yet so invested already. Truly is unlike anything we've seen out of the MCU and deserves the praise it's getting.
Loved both episodes theme songs. Episode 2 was a homage to "Bewitched" and was so cute. There were times where it synced up perfectly, they even used the same fonts.

Much like the themes, the attention to detail of each era is spot on. I noticed so many little nods. There was a notable step up in production values when it transitioned to 60s with the second episode. The resolution became clearer, camera angles became more free, the fashion attire, and of course the interior and furniture. What's neat is at the end it transitioned to color, much like the real "Bewitched" that started out life in black and white.

Episode 1 when Vision's boss was choking, it really felt like the wife was subconsciously telling Wanda to stop it, as her voice got really unsettling, almost helpless. Such a subtle movement from looking at her husband to staring at Wanda. Felt Twilighty. The end was also interesting as it pans out on the credits to show someone watching, taking notes. That gave me "Pretty Little Liars" vibes, (of -A stalking and watching from their lair) but are they behind this or is Wanda and she's in denial?

That question only gets more murky with the end of episode 2. When her and Vision are watching a beekeeper come out of a manhole (which I don't believe was there before) it broke from her perfect sitcom world and she said "no" and rewound time. That was a little scary but cool! So many weird foreshadowing moments to keep you hooked. There's a subtle presence of red, too. Loved the commercials!
A delightful throwback mixed with an unnerving feeling of something more. Genius. A very unique mystery. Gonna be a fun ride. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 20th, 2021, 7:17 am

Sony is working on a slingers dusk film! A slingers based film! Wow!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-m ... #gs.r6l7vk

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 20th, 2021, 9:22 am

Daniel wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 2:37 pm
...Much like the themes, the attention to detail of each era is spot on. I noticed so many little nods. There was a notable step up in production values when it transitioned to 60s with the second episode. The resolution became clearer, camera angles became more free, the fashion attire, and of course the interior and furniture...
One of my favorite blink-and-you'll-miss-it nods to old school TV was when Wanda magically put rings on her and Vision's fingers. Instead of a perfect cut, the camera actually moves a few "pixels" during the effect.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 20th, 2021, 10:25 am

Waiting until a few more eps get uploaded so that we can start and know there’s enough to get through two a week, as we did with Mandalorian as a supporting feature before our movie nights, which we try and do at least two of a week. But this is sounding good!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2021, 11:06 am

Yep, I noticed James! Helps that they often showed that scene during previews. Speaking of rings, notice that Mr. Hart and Dottie are each wearing one on their pinky fingers. The devil is in the details! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 20th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Ah, outside the first teaser I didn’t watch any ads. I hate being spoiled!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » January 20th, 2021, 2:22 pm

I didn't notice the ring on their pinky's. Cool find! I'm really liking it so far. The 1st episode was pretty hilarious. About the use of red, I saw cut hand/toy helicopter. Was there more?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2021, 2:32 pm

The first commercial with the Lucy and Ricky look-alikes, watch the light on the toaster. At the end of the very same episode, there's a red and green pattern on one of the monitors.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » January 20th, 2021, 2:39 pm

How did I miss that! wow. :o

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2021, 2:48 pm

Yeah, and the toaster was ticking and beeping like a bomb. Mirrors a past event for Wanda...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 21st, 2021, 12:41 am

I was intrigued by the first episode of WandaVision, but found the humour too intentionally hokey to be actually funny. (Okay, the laughtrack was kind of hilarious.) And that was fine. It just seemed more sinister, in a way, than funny. I watched the second episode tonight, and DID find it quite funny. And sinister. This is a great mystery.

And, not having watched a Marvel film for a while, hearing the Marvel Studios theme again actually felt great! I may have even teared up a bit. So nice to be back in that universe again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 21st, 2021, 1:50 am

Randall wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 12:41 am
And, not having watched a Marvel film for a while, hearing the Marvel Studios theme again actually felt great! I may have even teared up a bit. So nice to be back in that universe again.
Although, would you be saying that if D+ had finally streaming-downgraded the Black Widow movie last fall? :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2021, 5:57 am

Yes. Yes, I would. I love that music every time it powers up! But BW looks lame enough for me to be waiting for it to come to home video/D+ anyway.

Apparently, the "laughtrack" on WV isn’t a track at all: they shot those scenes in front of a live studio audience. How cool is that? 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 21st, 2021, 11:18 am

Very. Think one of the articles I linked earlier made mention. Or I meant to bring it up but didn't want to encourage another rambling incoherent rant. Probably that last one. Adds to the authenticity.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2021, 11:34 am

Hahahahahaha... (that one *was* recorded!) :lol: