Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by EricJ » April 20th, 2021, 9:53 am

Randall wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 12:16 am
Looks like our hero is the son of... a bad oriental dude. (That was actually Fu Manchu in the comics, of course, but obviously not for the film.) He tries to resist his destiny/father's wishes, and will either submit or chart his own path. That's a pretty standard set-up, but whatchagonnado? Curious to see how The Mandarin fits in. And yes, finally we can move on from Iron Man 3's version.
FWIU (courtesy of Wiki-cheating), in the comics, Shang-Chi is the wayward son of the Mandarin, back when the real Mandarin with ten power rings (get it?) still dressed like Fu Manchu, as opposed to wearing the more acceptable contemporary villain power-executive-suits he does today.
Randall wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 9:51 am
We have been waiting a long time for a proper Mandarin. I mean, wasn't The Ten Rings already teased in the first Iron Man? That is one slow burn.
Yeah, that was their first attempt. And pretty half-hearted at that, but hey, it was part of the print-comic origin.
Ben wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 4:07 am
It’s nothing to do with Chinese-catering, which I’m not bothered by either way, but Marvel have been here before, even going back to Iron Man, who famously no-one outside of comics knew who he was.
Nnnno, it's Chinese catering. They weren't exactly hush-hush about it.
We only got Iron Man because Paramount didn't understand Marvel, tried to get Jon "Elf"/"Zathura" Favreau to do a "funny" retro-camp Captain America way, way back at the beginning, and Favreau was more of a non-ironic Iron Man fan instead.

And if you're going to use the G-word, we've been well over the explanations of why MCU didn't have anyone who could expositorily explain Thanos and the Infinity Stones besides the Guardians of the Galaxy, or at least who didn't already work for Fox. (So, now that Disney does own Fox, think we could get a Silver Surfer do-over?)
Sort of like here, where they didn't have anyone else Chinese who wasn't tied up in Daredevil's old rights issues, or didn't live in Tibet like Dr. Strange's pals.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 20th, 2021, 5:49 pm

I was talking about me personally, not your perceived notion of what you think Marvel is doing...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 3rd, 2021, 1:02 pm

Captain Marvel 2 has been retitled The Marvels:

Not crazy about the name but I understand why they're calling it as such.

Black Panther II is now officially titled Black Panther: Wakanda Forever:

Not bad, though sounds like a final installment.

Both titles were revealed in this vid which also shows first footage of Eternals:

Promising line-up!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2021, 2:42 pm

FOUR Marvel movies over the span of six months? That's somehow both exciting and alarming at the same time.

I mean, the box office still isn't "back"--even with some movies performing well during their openings, the extreme plunges (Mortal Kombat was down like 80%) they take the following week are kind of a bad sign.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2021, 2:45 pm

Marvels sounds like a WandaVision sitcom. Could go either way...

Wakanda Forever feels "cheap" and uninspired. I don’t want something like "Legacy Of A Warrior", or something, but just using a catchphrase from the first one is glib, lazy, and sounds like a lower-budgeted DTV or something!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2021, 2:46 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what "Batman Forever" meant...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pm

It was just how cool he was. He’s Batman. Forever. ;)

More seriously, I took it to be the resolution that Bruce had reconciled himself to after debating internally if he really was, or could be, Batman. In the end he chose that he could be both Bruce Wayne, *and* Batman, forever*.

* Or, er, until his death, obviously. Although there’s no reason not to think he could train someone else to continue so that there actually really would be a Batman. Forever!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2021, 3:04 pm

#ReleaseTheSchumacherCut ;)

(Actually, I'd be game for that...of course sadly he himself couldn't supervise it anymore)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 3rd, 2021, 4:52 pm

Ben wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pm
More seriously, I took it to be the resolution that Bruce had reconciled himself to after debating internally if he really was, or could be, Batman. In the end he chose that he could be both Bruce Wayne, *and* Batman, forever*.
"Choosing", as in, the whole abandoned subplot where Nicole Kidman's psychiatrist character doesn't disappear halfway through the movie, and counsels Bruce Wayne through a case of amnesia, where he realizes it's his destiny to be Batman, Forever.
Dacey wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:42 pm
FOUR Marvel movies over the span of six months? That's somehow both exciting and alarming at the same time.
They've got four ideas for the elusive mythical Phase IV, and trying to mash them ALL at once:
See, Spiderman will discover Multiverses (idea 1) in his next movie, which will bring back alternate Norman Osborne, who seems "good", but may actually be trying to start the Dark Avengers (idea 2) as his own deceptively "beneficial" super-team.
Meanwhile, Ant-Man's daughter is now a teenager in the third movie, gearing her for the Young Avengers (idea 3), and a girl, so she can team with Shuri and Lady Thor for the all-chik-representation "A-Force" (idea 4), along with a few other new heroines from "The Marvels".
Oh, and they're still releasing Idea #1/2, "The Eternals". Yep, they're sticking to it, now that they can show off the director's Oscar.

They're so proud they got all their ideas re-jumpstarted at once without having to abandon any, they closed the event with a big "4" logo, which every single human on Twitter immediately interpreted as "It's a SIGN! They're finally doing the MCU Fantastic Four!", and rushed to their friendly neighborhood rumor sites as fast as they could scamper.
Last edited by EricJ on May 3rd, 2021, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2021, 5:32 pm

So, surely the "4" is a mirror of the Avengers A, for Phase IV...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2021, 5:39 pm

At the risk of being accused of being unable to grasp Eric's "irony", how on earth is it "sticking to it" for Disney to release a movie they've already made and spent millions of dollars on?

And, yes, I read his whole post. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 3rd, 2021, 6:26 pm

Dacey wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 5:39 pm
At the risk of being accused of being unable to grasp Eric's "irony", how on earth is it "sticking to it" for Disney to release a movie they've already made and spent millions of dollars on?
Well, given its low tracking, poor audience identification, predating the Fox deal, and its having no role in the new Phase IV whatsoever, I expect Chloe Zhao-mania singlehandedly saved this one from going the direct-to-D+ Artemis Fowl route after a year of pandemic delays.

That, and the box-office-recoup budget, of course.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2021, 8:09 pm

Er...and you know it doesn’t connect to Phase 4...how?

And I’d say that the cast, hot director and pent up anticipation is going to power this, and all these films actually, to their usual billion dollar club grosses, or at least near to that and certainly upwards of $500m+ each.

Can you just imagine fans saying, "well, I’m not going to see Eternals because it predates the Disney-Fox deal"? Huh!? And although Jolie's name couldn’t stop The Truly Terrible Ivan going straight to D+ (which is even better than it deserved), her *face* was never going to see a major Marvel movie go the same route, much more than "Chloe Zhao-mania", whatever that is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 3rd, 2021, 8:27 pm

All I will say at this moment regarding what was shown in that new video is that DC and, in particular, Synder could learn a thing about how to gloat about their amazingness without coming across as pretentious.

OK one more thing, I am really really glad I didn't see End Game on opening night or opening week. I'm not a fan of a theatre audience hollering their emotions during a screening.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 3rd, 2021, 8:48 pm

Ben wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pm
It was just how cool he was. He’s Batman. Forever. ;)

Also, In Batman and Robin the bat-credit-card’s expiration date was “forever”. Lol. :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!