Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by Ben » January 15th, 2020, 5:46 am

I don’t get you on Joker. Of course that’s a rival to the MCU...!?!!!??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 15th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Ben wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 5:46 am
I don’t get you on Joker. Of course that’s a rival to the MCU...!?!!!??
Warner did NOT make Joker so they could make a gritty Oscar-bait Scorsese-esque comment on Trump-era America. (The snooty name-director-for-hire who never read comic books in his life did, but that's another issue.)
Warner noticed that Sony made a fluke-load of money on "Venom", at the same time as pre-Disney Fox was announcing both a "Magneto" and a "(Dr.) Doom" spinoff movie, and finally figured out what to do with that not-Jared-Leto Suicide Squad spinoff they'd been tossing around for two years.

And every single one of them wanted that magic golden October slot that the first one got. For all three studios, it wasn't about a movie, it was about a RELEASE DATE.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 15th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Except that the script for Joker was started in 2016 and completed in 2017, a full eighteen months before Venom came out...in 2018...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 15th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Ben wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:41 pm
Except that the script for Joker was started in 2016 and completed in 2017, a full eighteen months before Venom came out...in 2018...?
The Dr. Doom movie, however, and the implied MCU-rival "trend" it was supposed to start...had been rumoring its existence for a VERY long time.
And the timing of Warner starting their script after "Why didn't they like Suicide Squad?" is conspicuously noted.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2020, 5:32 am

But your argument was that Warners looked at Venom's grosses and thought they could do the same with Joker.

Which, ironically, they did, and then some...but not in that order.

I still say Maleficent has a lot to answer for, as well as Disney announcing the Star Wars backstory movies, plus the fact that the superhero cycle is now starting to crack, creatively at least, by resorting to what are basically spin-offs for supporting characters. A few years ago — and not actually that very long ago — these films would have been lucky to have even made it as animated direct to video titles!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2020, 7:30 pm

Captain Marvel 2 officially in the works and will be set in present day.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 5th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Poster for The New Mutants:

"We know all your secrets"

;)

Lazy but creative in a way...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 5th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Or not...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 5th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Yep, that came to mind, hence the Simpsons quote: ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 30th, 2020, 10:40 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 4th, 2020, 6:50 pm

And after bad luck on bad luck, new mutants has run out of luck! Direct to streaming!

https://movieweb.com/the-new-mutants-di ... ng-amazon/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Are we really surprised...?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 4th, 2020, 10:00 pm

I wonder what the window will be before it hits Disney+, assuming it gets there. I suppose that is not guaranteed, if it trends more into horror territory as reported.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 5th, 2020, 12:09 am

Ben wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 8:47 pm
Are we really surprised...?
We were surprised last month when they thought it WASN'T going to streaming... :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2020, 5:00 am

'Xactly.

If it does end up on D+, I don’t think it will be for a while, since it looks to be going the PVOD route, which is these months, and then three months before streaming. But then Disney has been breaking those windows for Frozen II, Onward and POS, so who knows.

But that this doesn’t really fit into the usual semi-family approach of the X-films does again raise the problem with D+ and where it goes: you want it part of the series but like the Wolverines, it’s too intense for the service. I still think it would be more impressive and expansive for all the content to be on one service, and use filtering on different accounts so that young eyes can’t see stuff they shouldn’t, but that older ones can access all the content they want.

I don’t know if it’s the same in the US, but here at the moment, D+ seems incredibly limited...far from the boxes and boxes of content that one scrolls through on Netflix, I was looking around last night before starting Mandalorian (finally!) and every time I look through I end up running out of options pretty quick. D+ *could* be *seriously* awesome if they created a 20th Century Studios section and include all-ages content — and allow an "all in" option so it’s not all split up into the different brands. Sometimes I’m in the mood for Star Wars, but if I was scrolling and saw a Marvel I hadn’t thought about watching i would probably go for it, but at the moment you kind of have to use it in reverse and go to Marvel first, even if you might not be in the mood for one.

Anyway, this will either end up on Hulu, breaking up the series, or end up on D+, and be slightly inappropriate. I already have a couple of issues with the level of violence in some of the harder-edge superhero films for a service that promotes itself as safe viewing for the family.