Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2005, 8:47 am

Thanks - was just about to post that!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 24th, 2005, 5:39 pm

Did Katzenberg appear on the disc at all? I think he was very briefly on the Lion King and Aladdin one.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » April 25th, 2005, 5:41 pm

what a great job on that review. I agree with every word said, 100%.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 26th, 2005, 7:43 am

Thanks Patrick! :)

Violet - the Pocahontas DVD takes all its archive footage from the 1996 LaserDisc edition, which would have been two years after his departure from Disney, so even that didn't contain any of JK's involvement.

I'm also surprised that the edition has made it out without cuts to the Roy Disney segments - he's "still" listed as head of animation at the studio (again because all these materials were put together in 1996).
Last edited by Ben on April 27th, 2005, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 26th, 2005, 5:55 pm

Lindsay - the Pocahontas DVD takes all its archive footage from the 1996 LaserDisc edition, which would have been two years after his departure from Disney, so even that didn't contain any of JK's involvement.
Uh, you do mean Violet, right? I'm sorry, were you addressing my question?*a little confused* :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2005, 8:03 am

Yes, I've changed it! Oops! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 27th, 2005, 9:50 pm

Thanks!

That bites about no K on the Pocahontas DVD....but I'll get it anyway. I do love that movie, especially the songs. My favorite songs are "Steady as the beating drum" and "Colors of the Wind." "Mine, mine, mine," isn't that great, but it's kind of catchy, and I think it's cool when the villain gets a song. (I guess they stopped that after Hunchback's "Hellfire")

I actually think that in tone and style Pocahontas has a lot in common with The Prince of Egypt. The camera moves, sweeping statements and montages during the "Savages" sequence bear a huge resemblence to Prince....all the better for it, I'd say! :)

It makes sense since it was K's last film in Disney in which he was a major presence on the film...and Prince was his first film at DW.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2005, 5:24 pm

ShyViolet wrote:That bites about no K on the Pocahontas DVD
Now, don't let this start another round!

This is more because he wasn't on the original LD, not because he has been cut out of any material. Same reasons that he wasn't in it in the first place, but there are no new cuts here, as the presence of Roy Disney confirms.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 28th, 2005, 5:32 pm

I understand that but it just bothers me how almost all traces of his involvement on those films has gone to hell. They could always have invited him back to do a commentary or something, but, well....I won't go into that again. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » April 29th, 2005, 8:16 am

ShyViolet wrote:They could always have invited him back to do a commentary or something...
Do you really think that any studio would invite an executive from a competing studio to be involved with a DVD project? And for that matter, would any executive go back to the studio he was fired from to help create promotional material when he has a studio of his own to promote?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Pocahontas DVD Menus

Post by JustinWilliams » April 30th, 2005, 3:28 pm

The Pocahontas DVD is a real gem - mine's arrived today and it's everything you could want! The picture's the best I've EVER seen this film - and I've seen a few... The extras are spot on and the DVD menus make good use of concept art. Here are the menu screens (c) Disney

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Buy yours from Disney.com now!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 30th, 2005, 3:59 pm

It's amazing that the best-documented Disney DVD set is of a film that's usually derided by many animation fans (including yours truly) as being too politically correct and story-driven by the Disney suits...

How I wish the few remaining Disney Classic gems that HAVEN'T gotten the deluxe 2-disc treatment match up to the level of Pocahontas.

Here's hoping that future DVD releases of Pinocchio (my favorite Disney film of all time), The Little Mermaid (started my obsession with redheads), and Cinderella (probably the best Disney feature of the 1950s) are treated with as much respect.

Haven't most people gotten tired of the dumb music videos with RadioDisney stars doing their covers of Disney classic tunes, the lame-brained trivia teasers, and mentally-retarded videogames packaged into the DVD-ROM sections of the Platinum and Special Edition DVDs?

Earth to Buena Vista Home Video -- start listening to your HARDCORE collector's market and stop listening to those people at Wal-Mart and the other discount chains who are telling you all your customers are retarded! We're not, and frankly you ought to be changing your ways now that it seems Uncle Mikey is on the way out... There's a reason why the LD collector boxsets have gone for such high prices on the used aftermarket.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 1st, 2005, 3:40 pm

GeorgeC wrote:Cinderella (probably the best Disney feature of the 1950s)

That would be Peter Pan, mate. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2005, 4:41 pm

Do you really think that any studio would invite an executive from a competing studio to be involved with a DVD project? And for that matter, would any executive go back to the studio he was fired from to help create promotional material when he has a studio of his own to promote?
Yeah but there's plenty of directors/producers who go back to studios they are no longer involved with and do commentaries....It's just that Disney hates him, pure and simple. They hate him for existing.

If you ever go on Ebay you can actually still get copies of LDs and video cassetts from the early '90s from before he was fired, that has material with him in it. It would be so easy for Disney to reach back into their archives and put him back on DVDs, but of course they won't do that. I was thinking that maybe they should create new commentaries with him because they might just have destroyed all the existing footage.....Oh well.
It's total BS and personally I think K should sue them all over again for what they've been doing to him. Say Spielberg gets into a tiff with Universal and they decide to leave his name off the films he did for them ?(pretty much everything he's ever done) Of course he would sue.

BTW I'm so DROOLING over those Pocahontas menues! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Menus

Post by JustinWilliams » May 3rd, 2005, 1:29 pm

I will be taking the menus down today since most people can get the DVD itself to enjoy them first hand. :idea: How did you like the DVD folks? I'm obsessed with the deleted turkey guy! How cool was he?! 8)