Chronicles of Narnia

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 17th, 2008, 2:12 pm

I haven't seen the film yet (I will soon,of course :D) but....
That's not Poseidon,If I"m not wrong it's the spirit of river in the book,remember those spirits that Lucy and Suesan send them to tell Peter and Edmund that Aslan is dead? So I think he's similar to them
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 17th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Foxtale wrote:
I never actually read this book so I don't know if it happened the same way. But I didn't think that that was Posideon in the movie.
I actually thought that Caspian was the weakest of all the books, so I'll be interested in seeing how the movie turns out. I can't wait for The Voyage of The Dawn Treader though - that's one of my favs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2008, 3:13 pm

I agree that Caspian is the weakest of the books - practically nothing happens - and though I wasn't the biggest fan of the first film, which I felt was over directed, the good things I'm hearing about this new film sounds like they've done the best than can be done with the material and have fashioned a decent screen adventure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 17th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Actually TLTWATW,PC and SC are my favorite book.
I think that TMN and LB were the weakest (Thought LB is better then TMN).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 19th, 2008, 7:39 am

OUCH!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 7574dd5366

And this was supposed to be Narnia's weekend, without any family fare doing well before it that would detract...looks like everyone's saving up for Indy next weekend.

Anyone now doubt that the Narnia films won't make it so seven?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 19th, 2008, 1:04 pm

Yeah,

A seven-film series is a pretty tall order if it isn't James Bond, Star Trek, or Star Wars.

I've gotta admit it --- I'm NOT a fan of the Narnia books. I had a hard time gettting through the entire series and honestly never gave it much of a thought for over 20 years until the first Disney Narnia feature was released.

Yes, the first Disney Narnia feature was a good film. Do I particularly want to watch more of these? Well, not really.

I don't know that there's as much of a fanbase for these films as some people might think. There definitely was for LOTR, and many, many people want to see the The Hobbit made so that the LOTR quadrilogy is finished.

Caspian really sounds more like a victim of bad-timing, though, than audience apathy. With the general economy still in recession and people being picky about entertainment -- especially if they're a family with kids! --, it probably would have been better to have released this film later in the summer or during the November/December window where it would have had less competition.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 19th, 2008, 2:36 pm

GeorgeC wrote:A seven-film series is a pretty tall order if it isn't James Bond, Star Trek, or Star Wars.
Or Harry Potter. ;)

GeorgeC wrote:Many people want to see the The Hobbit made so that the LOTR quadrilogy is finished.
Even though that'll end up being a quintet, at five films. :)

I agree that Caspian should have been held until Christmas. Films of the Narnia books seem to feel like Christmas events anyway, like the Potters were. WB took a chance going with the summer Potters but they had a solid franchise there and a CURRENT rabid fan base.

Whatever else, the Narnia books were written in answer to the LOTR books and these new films are being made in reply to the LOTR films. But they just don't have that depth. I must agree that the books can get quite bogged down, primarily because there just isn't a lot to them. Dawn Treader seems to be a popular one and I think it's because there's more than just a hard slog of a story in it.

But I don't just think it's a timing thing. Last weekend the pundits were cheering Disney's choice of slot. Speed Racer had tanked, Iron Man was (slowly) flying off, and they had a full week to make a big haul before Indy's return. However, Caspian, as has been said, really doesn't have anything going on in it. The kids come back. They have a bit of trouble finding Aslan again. There's another battle. Done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 19th, 2008, 3:14 pm

YCougar wrote:Prince Caspian in 2008??! *wince* Man, those kids are gonna grow fast. They're gonna need a non-canon excuse for the aging for any movies after this... maybe add a few years in English-time between stories. That wouldn't be too bad.
The producers were reportedly considering to skip/rearrange Horse and His Boy, and do Magicians Nephew after Silver Chair, just so that they reportedly wouldn't have to cast different actors as the Adult Susan and Lucy by the time they got to "Horse"...
How they plan to handle "Last Battle", I'm guessing they're not.

(You're asking "Why don't they just use different actors, since these're just book characters"?--
They don't. They're studios. It's bad luck. The Volcano God would be angry.)
Ben wrote:I agree that Caspian should have been held until Christmas.
Films of the Narnia books seem to feel like Christmas events anyway, like the Potters were. WB took a chance going with the summer Potters but they had a solid franchise there and a CURRENT rabid fan base.
Caspian had been aimed for Christmas '07--
Problem is, Walden Media had started seeing other studios, and they didn't want their first Sony fling, "The Water Horse", to be undercut by their own more-recognized competition from a bigger studio that December.
But I don't just think it's a timing thing. Last weekend the pundits were cheering Disney's choice of slot. Speed Racer had tanked, Iron Man was (slowly) flying off, and they had a full week to make a big haul before Indy's return. However, Caspian, as has been said, really doesn't have anything going on in it. The kids come back. They have a bit of trouble finding Aslan again. There's another battle. Done.
Also, it takes forever to find out What We Already Know, even just from one reading of the first book--
We know it's later...We know Lucy's Always Right, even if nobody believes her...And the movie even comes up with the brainstorm of intercutting the Caspian and Kids plots, so we at least don't feel bogged down between one set of people getting to the cave and the other.

Like Kenneth Brannagh overdoing his Hamlet, Andrew Adamson always feels like he's defensively "overcompensating" the fact that Lewis isn't Tolkien, by turning any sentence that can be an Epic into one, whether it likes it or not.
This doesn't always work, but when it needs one, it does benefit from it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 3rd, 2008, 1:02 pm

(Reviews with spoilers,I guess).
I have seen Prince Caspian and I think that the story was presented badly and someone who haven't read the book probably won't understand the story,the story was just messed up but everything in the book is very clear.
Since when Telmarines are Spanish? Spanish people took over Narnia? and I"m pretty sure that they didn't came from our world in the book.
Why everyone (Even Edmund) stopped believe in Aslan exept Lucy? since when Lucy and Caspian are in love? (Oh,she heard that he's a prince and she already has wedding in her mind?).
And why Miraze got so much screentime? I also didn't liked Miraze much,the White Witch is better then him (She really reminds me of Maleficent and the Evil Queen).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » August 4th, 2008, 10:44 am

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Since when Telmarines are Spanish? Spanish people took over Narnia? and I"m pretty sure that they didn't came from our world in the book. (sic)
Actually, the book didn't specifically give them a nationality, but I remember them being described in the book as dark and swarthy. When I was younger, I always pictured them as looking more Arabic. But even in the book, they did come from our world and any who wanted were sent back there at the end.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Why everyone (Even Edmund) stopped believe in Aslan exept Lucy? (sic)
They didn't necessarily stop believing, but they got caught up in their own plans and stopped looking to Aslan for guidance. (Another example of the Christian allegory that's less prevalent than in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe but still very much there.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 16th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Here are the cover arts for Prince Caspian's DVD/Blu/Collector's editions:

ImageImage

Release date December 2nd, 2008.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 17th, 2008, 6:31 am

Thanks for that,Daniel :D but the blue doesn't fit,and why the Disney Dust? but it's very pretty :D.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 17th, 2008, 7:41 am

Look for that "HD Picture and sound" banner to be lost on the final artwork. It's just a promo image at the moment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 17th, 2008, 12:34 pm

It will be good if they"ll change it.
The blue makes it looks like Winter,like The Lion,The Witch and Wardrobe,it should be green.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

3 DVD Set

Post by JustinWilliams » August 29th, 2008, 7:45 pm