Moana

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Moana

Post by ShyViolet » June 30th, 2016, 6:30 am

Totally agree. Love both designs.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 30th, 2016, 10:33 am

I don't recall much (if any?) such 'controversy' over Clawhauser ..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 30th, 2016, 11:22 am

If he had been lean and chiseled people would have complained that both leads were too skinny and beautiful and it makes fat people feel bad about their bodies. Some people just want to be offended and play the victim.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 29th, 2016, 7:49 am

While randomly exploring iTunes tonight I discovered that the soundtrack to Moana is up. If you don't want to be spoiled by anything at all, do not go and look as nearly all the track names are up (bizarrely there is about 4 Unmaned tracks with the place holder of Track 15 for example. Disney is also hoping that they have a Frozen repeat on their hand as he soundtrack is available in a 2 Disc Deluxe edition with the 2nd Disc being Song and Score demos.

Also available as an Instant Grat or individual purchase is what I imagine is the official first single (and likely end credits song) How Far I'll Go by Alessia Cara (WHO?????). This is clearly Moana's I Want song. The production of this song is a little off and stops me from fully embracing it, but I can here potential for it within the movie and am keen to hear the movie version. It's also quite short I feel. Just as I get's going, it starts to wind up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 30th, 2016, 5:29 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by danieltruchsess » November 25th, 2016, 9:20 pm

I went to see the movie 2 days ago with some friends, and we all loved it. Some of the visuals were truly amazing, with the sea and the boats and the music. So much to enjoy. There is a scene after the credits that's nice as well. I think "you're welcome" is one of my favorite songs, although I enjoyed them all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 26th, 2016, 12:52 am

Saw it too. Should have a review up by Monday at the latest.

For those thinking about going this weekend, definitely worth seeing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 26th, 2016, 3:42 am

I have a Disney Cruise coming up, so I'll be in Ben's position of "I can't see it until February!", since I'm holding off just to see it on the onboard theater.
(Thinking of doing the same with "Rogue One", too, so you can understand what a sacrifice this is.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2016, 4:00 am

Luckily, we get Moana next week, so no February wait for me (for once)!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 28th, 2016, 5:58 am

I have to wait until Boxing Day. Hopefully it doesn't get lost in the crowd of everything else getting released that day.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 28th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Family went to see it. Fun movie. The chicken stole the movie! Note there is a after credit scene!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 28th, 2016, 9:22 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 28th, 2016, 10:43 pm

I used my weekly blog to remind civilians that the "Directors of Little Mermaid and Aladdin" are, ahem, ALSO the directors of Great Mouse Detective, Hercules, Treasure Planet, and Princess & the Frog, if they need a quick fix after seeing Moana... :)
Yes, it's preaching to the choir here, but a good timely excuse to get the historical-revisionist word out to the masses.

(And, yes, included the "Delayed-Reaction Overcompensation" theory about why everyone went nuts over Beauty & the Beast and Lion King in the early 90's.
Looked up some vintage '92 reviews of Aladdin, and you can see critics telling grownups "No, really!--It's okay to go see it!")

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » November 29th, 2016, 8:10 pm

The Kakamora and Tamatoa scenes can't quite shake their episodic nature, only tenuously connected to the spine of the film. But overall, I enjoyed it. I do agree with the part in James's review about some of the lyrics seeming awkward--most painfully so in the opening verse of "You're Welcome." (In fact, that opening is so odd that I was afraid for a moment that Dwayne Johnson wasn't able to sing, though my fears were quelled as the song went on.)

I don't know yet how I'd rank it compared to Zootopia, but I liked it more than Frozen and Finding Dory and not as much as Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled, and Big Hero 6.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 30th, 2016, 2:35 am

That's the pitfall of road trip movies - trying not to be too episodic. I agree the scene with the Kakamora felt random, but thought Tamatoa was a better fit since it was more of a necessary destination on the journey and was filled out with a backstory more.