Toy Story 4 / Toy Story 5

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Toy Story 4

Post by Dacey » February 10th, 2023, 5:21 pm

Umm…it’s highly unlikely that Iger has anything to do with any of these sequels being in the works. Especially on Frozen, which multiple cast members have accidentally leaked was in production for at least the last year.

All of these films had probably been greenlit long before Iger came back.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 10th, 2023, 8:55 pm

I can believe that Frozen III and Zootopia 2 were always planned, I even believe that Josh Gad started recording for the film (unless we're getting more useless Olaf shorts), but I don't believe that Toy Story 5 was planned, and in my opinion it was a direct result of Lightyear's failure. Who will even direct it? All the people who contributed to the Toy Story franchise are no longer at the studio (except Pete Docter).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 11th, 2023, 4:33 am

Thanks for using the correct FIII nomenclature, Farerb! ;)

I somewhat agree. FIII has obviously been in the works for some time…maybe even before Iger left? He was the one, after all, that asked for a second film. And we know Zootopia was going to be a sequel before it turned into a series, so that’s always been on the cards.

The outlier is TS5, which looks to have come together very quickly. Iger would have been nuts to allude and outright announce this without securing the main talent, but that’s pretty quick to convince Hanks, who as I say, was clearly done for good with the role on the last one. Allen, of course, is back in the fold with the new Santa series, and perhaps wants to reclaim Buzz after Lightyear (though I still contend he would have got a pretty sweet deal to return), but Hanks?

Of course money talks and … ;) and it’s an "easy" payday for him, having "only" to provide a voice, but again he’ll be getting one heck of a deal if he’s fully onboard. Or they’re using it as tactics to announce the band is back together and they lead their co-frontman (although Lightyear already proved that).

For director, I say bring back Joss Whedon! :lol: He doesn’t seem to be doing much thesedays… :lol: :lol: Yes, I’m clearly joking. Obviously someone is about to get a promotion or do the studio a massive favor (Stanton?), but I’d be surprised if they don’t get this in cinemas for 2025, which would naturally be the 30th anniversary.

Unless…one of these (FIII if anything) is the surprise "untitled Disney film" we can expect in December… ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Toy Story 4 / Toy Story 5

Post by Randall » February 11th, 2023, 9:06 am

I'm glad that Toy Story 5 is being made. 4 was a big letdown for me, so I'd like to see them end with a stronger film. Hanks has said he's not sure how much more "high energy Woody" he has left in him, so I hope he at least has enough gas in the tank for one more great performance. And yes, Allen needs another shot after they gave Lightyear away to Evans. Let's just hope that someone at Pixar has a good story for this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 11th, 2023, 6:22 pm

I love that you live in hope…. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 11th, 2023, 6:44 pm

Sometimes, hope is all we've got...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 11th, 2023, 6:53 pm

Stop. Use the word “hope” one more time and this will start to sound like the script for The Last Jedi. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 11th, 2023, 8:33 pm

I was hoping you’d say that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 11th, 2023, 8:47 pm

No one can say we're hopeless.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2023, 3:52 am

But we have been since July 2003…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 12th, 2023, 10:39 am

Anna voice artist leaked frozen 3 months ago, so we knew that. Zootopia 2 was leaked a year ago.

Only new thing is toy story 5. Didn't care for 4. Undid the toy story 3 "take care of my toys" ending and made woody a hypocrite after 3 films of "stick by your human blah blah blah!" "just joking. Bye."

Should have ended with 3. Perfect ending.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2023, 11:24 am

Xactly. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 12th, 2023, 11:24 am

Yep.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 12th, 2023, 11:25 am

They'll make Toy Story 6 as well and we'll call Toy Story 4-6 the new trilogy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2023, 7:43 pm

Lose Woody, find Woody, lose Woody, again. :lol: