Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Toy Story 4

Post by droosan » July 5th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Daniel wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Gabby Gabby (nudge Droo! ;))
I'm guessing, because I'd spelled her name 'Gaby'..? That's force of habit; I was good friends with a Gaby in high school .. and she was always quick to correct anyone who spelled it with two 'b's: "Gaby is short for Gabrielle; there's only one 'b' in my name." :mrgreen:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 5th, 2019, 10:49 pm

It's not better than TS2. As my review stated, it's very good--probably better than many were expecting--but TS2 remains the best almost by default at this point (and is also one of my top five Pixar films, along with The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Inside Out and Monsters, Inc.).

And Eric, you've been warned before about the "gay community" comments, so play nice.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 6th, 2019, 12:10 am

droosan wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 10:19 pm
Daniel wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Gabby Gabby (nudge Droo! ;))
I'm guessing, because I'd spelled her name 'Gaby'..? That's force of habit; I was good friends with a Gaby in high school .. and she was always quick to correct anyone who spelled it with two 'b's: "Gaby is short for Gabrielle; there's only one 'b' in my name." :mrgreen:
Except that Gaby would be pronounced "gay-bee," but I guess she didn't care to follow English pronunciation rules. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 6th, 2019, 12:19 am

Eh; it looks a bit weird to me with two 'b's .. but mostly because I'd known her for years, and have never met anyone else by that name. :|

I was also thrown by The Princess and the Frog's "Prince Naveen" .. since I have two friends with that name, who each spell it 'Navin'.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 6th, 2019, 1:01 am

Not to redirect the conversation, but out of interest I Googled "gaby," and this is what came up at dictionary.com:

gaby [ gey-bee ] noun, plural ga·bies. British Dialect.
a fool.

I didn't know that one. Maybe Ben's familiar with it.

And of course, any self-respecting cartoon fan should remember Gabby from the Fleischer picture Gulliver's Travels, and his own subsequent cartoon series. ;) Not to mention Gabby Hayes, of course, whom the Pixar character was undoubtedly named from.

So, it's just funny how your friend got your thinking turned around on that. Just about any other Gabrielle out there with a nickname is "Gabby," too. But I suppose there could be other Gaby's as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 6th, 2019, 1:23 am

Of course, I do know of Gabby from Gulliver's Travels .. but he's a guy. :P :lol:

Also, 'Debra' or 'Deborah' are often shortened to 'Debbie' .. with two 'b's, in spite of there being only one 'b' in the longer name. Ditto with 'Abigail' to 'Abby'.

So, yes .. I agree; it's interesting that I've internalized a 'singular-b' spelling for just that name. I'll try to remember to use two 'b's when referring to the TS4 character, going forward. :oops:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 6th, 2019, 10:52 am

We have a female presenter here named Gaby Roslin...pronounced "gabby", just to mix things up even more!

Gabby as a word is to shoot your mouth off, to be overly talky or a gossip, as in "gift of the gab", as far as I am aware, at least over here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 6th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Gabby has the same meaning on this side of the pond.

Anyhow, back to Toy Story 4---!

We almost went last weekend, but my son declared that another Toy Story was unwarranted, so it would be a waste of theatre time. So, we stayed home and watched Lego Movie 2. Meanwhile, my boy is holding out for a Spidey theatre trip this weekend instead!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 6th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Randall wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 1:01 am
Not to mention Gabby Hayes, of course, whom the Pixar character was undoubtedly named from.
Hayes' Gabby also came from "talkative", but believe you're thinking of the wrong Pixar character--
Hayes became Stinky Pete. (Ie. the Woody's Roundup version, not the MeToo Kelsey Grammer version.)
Gabby has the same meaning on this side of the pond.
It can also mean "chatty", as in "Chatty Cathy"--Another vintage doll that became a slang term over here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-sYQ8_2v_Q
Last edited by EricJ on July 7th, 2019, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 6th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Eric, of course, is right. I brain farted and went to Stinky Pete. Who, yeah, is a bit like Gabby Hayes but does not share his name.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 7th, 2019, 3:10 pm

EricJ wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 8:58 pm
(The giant laser-eye plot was fun, and should have been in earlier, so could they could come up with more crazy plans.)
Yeah, for real. Felt pretty tacked on.

Was hoping they would've addressed them being connected, questioning if they should cut free from each other or something. Feels like a missed opportunity.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2019, 6:09 am

Hehehee...brain farts. :D ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Disney Store recalls Forky plushies. Man, what a shame. That's what made it so cool in the first place! I actually held it, but didn't purchase. Now I wish I had... if only to make a profit on ebay where it seems to be fetching a pretty penny! No doubt they will re-release him with embroidered eyes now. How lame!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 11th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Daniel wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm
Disney Store recalls Forky plushies.
And yes, EVERY single poster on social media has made the "T-t...trash??" joke by now. Just wanted to make sure we weren't left out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 12th, 2019, 10:38 am

On the “Gabby” name issue, Gabby (or Gaby, as the comic spelled it) was also Charles Xavier’s ex-girlfriend Gabrielle Haller and mother of his child David (Legion).

They first met in Israel at a hospital for Holocaust survivors. She was actually Charles’ patient suffering from the effects of ptsd. (Catatonia actually.). Oh, and that’s also where he first met Erik/Magneto, also a survivor of course.

I haven’t seen the Legion series on Hulu yet, so I don’t know how faithful they are to the comic. But either way it’s definitely on my list! :)

Oh, and Gaby can be a girl’s name in Israel...or a man’s. Weird, I know. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Haller
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!