Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by ShyViolet » November 25th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Yes I thought it looked awesome too...still wish spielberg was actually directing but pretty stoked. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 25th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Ben wrote:I know I should start a new thread but the Jurassic World trailer is out and it's a doozy...just what we want from this film. I might have to drop the other shoe and go see this in Imax 3D!
When we got the Florida Universal/Sea World/Jaws-ride in-jokes, I was sure Spielberg had decided to come back and direct this one, Crystal Skull-style, but the new guy sure does seem to know what distinguishes the first movie from our current flood of Asylum/SyFy dino epics.
(One of the big complaints with Spielberg going off his own rails on Lost World was the total removal of wonder and theme-park enthusiasm that was in the first movie, putting in whiny Jeff Goldblum to say "Okay, we know they're going to attack, so let's get to it." Here, they go back to the idea that it's a park you'd want to go to, if not for the little....technical problems.)

I cringed at seeing the Legendary logo on it (the studio of Gray Doom), so hope it doesn't get too pretentious, but nice to see somebody's watched the first film before remaking it from scratch.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 25th, 2014, 6:42 pm

I believe Lost World and Jurassic III will be "forgotten"...they exist but that this is a follow-up to the first film.

And don't worry about Legendary...the film was pretty much shot and in post when Universal made their deal with them. Uni offered them the chance to come in on their slate so that they could slice their risk on it in half, but they never had any input on its making.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 25th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Looks good, but it just seems like Jurassic Park with more people in it.

Of course, in a sense, any sequel to JP has pretty much just got to be a remake.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2014, 2:54 am

I know. Was thinking more about it and asked myself, is this a bad sequel that just remakes the first on a bigger scale, or does it work because it is just that and comes from the heart, with the nostalgia not only of the first film at play but also with a "what if" had the park not been sabotaged and broken down, and actually been okayed and opened?

But I really do feel this is a way to kind of wipe the slate clear and say this is the sequel we should have got in the first place. Color me with the nostalgia brush, but I'm right in there for this one!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 26th, 2014, 7:07 am

Ben wrote:And don't worry about Legendary...the film was pretty much shot and in post when Universal made their deal with them. Uni offered them the chance to come in on their slate so that they could slice their risk on it in half, but they never had any input on its making.
Yeah, thought it didn't look like a Legendary Picture--
It was so...sunny, nothing was raining! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 26th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Love the JW trailer. It looks really good. Stoked that they finally found a way to include aquatic dinosaurs, even if it is just a throwaway joke. My only concern is the whole genetic hybrid plot. I just don't think in any lifetime, people would become bored with the dinosaurs we know. I just think its a cheap plot point. However, I admit its way better than the whole genetically modified dino soliders that was being thrown around at one point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Well they have to hang the plot on *something* and we really don't want another Lost World or III, as fun in spits and spurts as those entries may be (actually, no...Lost World played on TV again here recently and it really is quite bad in various different ways. But III, I didn't mind so much...it had some good set pieces at least), hence why I believe this one will essentially follow on from the first film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » November 26th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Oh, hey, speaking of Star Wars, the trailer for this one will be online Friday morning!! So excited!!!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2014, 2:42 am

Oh yeah...Star Wars...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » November 28th, 2014, 11:51 am

Oh hey, the first trailer for Episode VII has been released.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the- ... s-trailer/

IT LOOKS SO AMAZING
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 28th, 2014, 2:58 pm

It definitely got me more excited about the movie. Ever since this trilogy was announced I've been very ho hum and bah humbug about it. This shows me that it could at least be interesting. But then I thought The Phantom Menace also looked promising. Although I will admit I may have laughed out loud when that first storm tropper popped up out of nowhere, I thought perhaps I had stumbled upon a trailer spoof.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 28th, 2014, 3:29 pm

A great 88 seconds. That's certainly one way to get us all excited for what Abrams has in store.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 28th, 2014, 3:45 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Although I will admit I may have laughed out loud when that first storm tropper popped up out of nowhere, I thought perhaps I had stumbled upon a trailer spoof.
Given the non-Australian stormtrooper and the generally grungy machinery, I'm guessing most of the story will be about the third-party folk who have been getting by with scrounged ex-Empire/Rebellion used army surplus, since there's been no need to make any for the last few years. (....Until NOW.)

Which will probably get into a whole Star Wars:Rebels-like plot about the struggling indie characters getting caught up in a new conflict, and...well, I can see Abrams screwing that up a bit like the young Star Trek characters, but not too badly.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 29th, 2014, 12:13 am

Bill1978 wrote:It definitely got me more excited about the movie. Ever since this trilogy was announced I've been very ho hum and bah humbug about it. This shows me that it could at least be interesting. But then I thought The Phantom Menace also looked promising. Although I will admit I may have laughed out loud when that first storm tropper popped up out of nowhere, I thought perhaps I had stumbled upon a trailer spoof.
I'd be very, very cautious about the new film. I didn't care for what JJ Abrams did to Star Trek...

As for the trailer itself... I've been burned so many times by slick trailers that I don't tend to get hyped up about films much anymore. I did notice a few things that were interesting and/or a bit annoying to me at any rate.

From what I could see, some of the vehicle designs have reverted to earlier designs that Ralph McQuarrie sketched for the original Star Wars (aka Episode IV: A New Hope). The 'new' X-Wings and the speeder bike that girl (Jaina Solo?) was riding look very much like the pre-film concept drawings. I noticed the lack of a visible radar dish on the Millennium Falcon itself. Is that something being carried over from "Return of the Jedi" (remember, the radar dish was scraped off the ship when it was making its way into the reactor area of the second Death Star) or another design change?

Nitpicky point: I really don't see why you'd have a lightsaber ignite with an energy cross-guard. I mean the original lightsabers were deadly enough with blades that cut through about anything but wouldn't it be super-hazardous to have a design that includes an area that could easily cut off your leading grip fingers???? For that matter, the double-lightsaber/staff-blade that Darth Maul looked pretty darn dangerous to handle, too... Ah, but those Sith were crazy villain types to begin with I suppose.