Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 25th, 2005, 4:12 pm

I'm about to go watch the movie a fourth time.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 25th, 2005, 7:07 pm

You're officially CRAZIER than Ben, Christian!

I only plan on watching this film twice before the DVD release in November. The second and FINAL time is going to be with my Mom over the weekend when I go to my parents' house to visit. Not so sure I'll bother to see this films YET AGAIN when Darth Lucas remasters them in 3-D. There's a point when you get tired of a thing, even some thing you love, and feel you have to move on...

It's a popcorn film, but not something that's going to change my life.

I just picked up 2 comics (Green Lantern Vol. 4 # 1 -- excellent issue, by the way! -- and JLA # 114) today at the local shop and heard one of the store employees talking about 4 or 5 of his geek friends -- guys around my age who saw the first 3 films when they were originally released and are OBSESSED Star Wars fans.

They have so much personally invested in these films that he says these guys WERE CRYING on the phone to him after they saw Episode III!

I'm beginning to understand more than a little bit why Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor were weary of the SW fans after doing their bit for the films. Star Wars has become a way of life, a religion for some people and it gets really sick and pathetic in some cases.

Not saying of course that you're pathetic, Christian, but there are very few films released that I'd watch four times in a theater.

Besides, the DVD will be cheaper... Definitely cheaper than taking a girl out on a date for sure! :lol:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 25th, 2005, 7:08 pm

P.S. -- Here's betting that Lucas will make plans to do Episodes 7, 8, AND 9 before he kicks the bucket...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 25th, 2005, 10:10 pm

Not saying of course that you're pathetic, Christian, but there are very few films released that I'd watch four times in a theater.
Funny thing is, I've only paid for it once. And, yes, the other three times were perfectly legal. On the totem pole of Star Wars devotion there are many people higher than me. I didn't wait in line. I didn't camp out. I didn't dress up as any character or take toy lightsabers with me. I don't know the names of all the Imperial officers Darth Vader choked, etc. etc. etc.

BTW, if there is a new series of Green Lantern comics it sounds like I really do need to get back to a comic store.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 25th, 2005, 11:40 pm

Offtopic:

Yes, Christian, there are several new Green Lantern comics out new. The re-established GL Corps could be on its way to becoming the "Jedi Knights" of the DC Universe.

Besides the Green Lantern: Rebirth series that recently ended and re-established Hal Jordan as Earth's primary Green Lantern, there's also been DC: A New Frontier which is basically about the coming of the Silver Age of DC Heroes and their response to a world-wide threat -- and Hal Jordan is a center-piece character of that mini-series written and drawn by Darwyn Cooke, a new Green Lantern Secret Files 2005 one-shot, the new monthly GL comic which just shipped issue # 1 on Wednesday, and The Rann/Thanagar War mini-series which features Green Lanterns Kyle Rayner and Kilowog in addition to the original Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Hawkwoman, Adam Strange, the Omega Men, and L.E.G.I.O.N.

(I forgot to mention Dave Gibbons is writing a GL Corps comic mini-series that starts later this year. It stars Guy Gardner, Kilowog, Salaak, and Kyle Rayner. There's info about this comic at newsarama.com and comicon.com .)

The GL comics coming out since Rebirth # 1 hit stands late last year have all been EXCELLENT! This is the best any GL character has been written in my 20-odd years collecting comics. (Believe me, I never had a good reason to collect GL until now. All the characters were just boring even if they were well-designed.) GL is one of the few bright spots at Marvel or DC. The only thing I think stinks about the current comic is the cover price, but just about every comic in the US is costing at least $2.99 now!

Geoff Johns has made Hal Jordan a more credible and likeable character -- light-years away from the moping, self-doubting, and wooden character written by Denny O'Neil, Marv Wolfman, Steve Englehart, J.M. DeMatteis, Gerard Jones, and (God help us!) Ron Marz. He's even made Kyle Rayner more palatable and someone that classic GL lovers don't want to see beheaded and piked any more! Even Guy Gardner is back as a loveable butthead in that outfit he wore in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Oh, and the yellow vulnerability of the rings? Gone... but Johns figured out a logical way to explain it away WITHOUT making the rings all-powerful. The "impurity" technically still exists, but it's real ingenius the way the GLs get around the weakness.

Right now, GL: Rebirth will be collected into a hardcover (probably) sometime early summer. DC: The New Frontier is already available serialized in two trade paperbacks (no word about a hardcover version in sight), and Rann/Thanager, GL Secret Files '05, and GL #1 are still relatively fresh and easy to get. Definitely a good time to be a GL fan.

And the GL Corps and Hal Jordan will be a part of the Infinite Crisis mini-series shipping later this year. It is, after all, the 20th anniversary of the Crisis on Infinite Earths mini-series.

P.S. -- All the Star Wars comics published by Marvel have been reprinted in full color trade paperbacks by Dark Horse. The trades cost roughly $25 a piece, and the full run INCLUDING the original movie comic adaptations runs at least a dozen trades. The early trades featuring art by Carmine Infantino and stories by Roy Thomas and Archie Goodwin might be worth checking out. The series gradually got worse later in its run and was definitely NOT worth it around the time of "Return of the Jedi." The last few years of the Marvel Star Wars comic (107-issue run, 1977-1987) were not that great.

See guys, this all came back to Star Wars again! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » May 26th, 2005, 7:09 pm

Funny thing is, I've only paid for it once. And, yes, the other three times were perfectly legal. On the totem pole of Star Wars devotion there are many people higher than me. I didn't wait in line. I didn't camp out. I didn't dress up as any character or take toy lightsabers with me. I don't know the names of all the Imperial officers Darth Vader choked, etc. etc. etc.
Hey Christian, you're a guy after my own heart! I've only seen it once so far but I am definitely going to see it again, maybe tomorrow. And like you I have never camped out, waited in a long line, dressed up as a character, or wielded a toy lightsaber. But I am a very devoted fan who loves all the Star Wars movies (of course, some of them more than others) and I get totally caught up in these films and characters. And I actually do know the names of the officers he choked. Well, some of them anyway. :wink:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » May 26th, 2005, 7:19 pm

ShyViolet wrote: People love Luke Skywalker because of his bravery and kindness. You could root for him. I will feel "sad" when I see Hayden turn to the dark side and all, but to tell the truth I don't know how much I'll actually care. There's very little drama there....O.K...the boy who invented C-3PEO turned to the dark side....so what? Supposing it was LUKE who actually turned to the dark side at the end of Jedi. (And fought his friends in an upcoming sequal) How much more interesting would THAT have been??

And Jar-Jar was horrible....but not THAT horrible. I thought the kid who played Anakin was much more grating....and you can't edit HIM out. :? :roll:
I think this one will make you care when Anakin turns to the dark side. They do a vastly better job this time making Anakin actually likeable and show an actual camraderie between him and Obi-Wan, which is what I think helps heighten the impact of him turning. Of course, maybe you won't see it that way, but it came across very, very strongly to me.

BTW, your idea about Luke turning to the dark side? It's actually been done in one of the graphic novels they did in the expanded Star Wars universe. In that, the emperor comes back to life (don't know how--haven't read it myself, only heard about it) and seduces Luke, though briefly, to the dark side.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 27th, 2005, 2:44 am

And I actually do know the names of the officers he choked. Well, some of them anyway.
I know one of them's Piett (he's in ROTS) and one of them is Needa (though I can't remember what he looks like) but I don't know the names of the others.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 27th, 2005, 7:16 pm

Vader never choked Piett. He did choke AND kill Admiral Ozzel near the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back because Ozzel brought he Imperial fleet out hyperspace "too close to the Hoth system." Piett was promoted to Admiral upon Ozzel's death.

Captain Needa was a later victim of Vader's displeasure when his Star Destroyer, The Avenger, lost track of the Millennium Falcon. Neither Vader nor Needa was aware of the fact that the Falcon was hiding behind the Avenger's bridge in a blind sensor zone. (The Empire Strikes Back, again.)

Piett nearly got choked at the end of The Empire Strikes Back, but Vader's moment of rage passed and Vader reined himself in.

There was another Imperial officer Vader choked at the Imperial officer's meeting table on the Death Star (in A New Hope), but Grand Moff Tarkin ordered Vader to "release him." That officer, General Tagge, had been taunting Vader's belief in the Force and inability to locate the stolen Death Star plans. The only officer unfortunate to be choked to death by Vader in A New Hope was Captain Antilles, the Rebel commander of the Blockade Runner, Tantive IV (shown in Revenge of the Sith). Vader used his cybernetically enhanced strength instead of the Force to crush Antilles' trachea.

As far as I saw, Needa and Piett never appeared in Revenge of the Sith (at least not that I could recognize them right away) but Grand Moff Tarkin showed up briefly as the Emperor was taking Vader to see the under-construction Death Star at the end of the movie.

No Imperial officers were harmed in Return of the Jedi by Vader... :)

The main point of the post is that I got my copy of the Revenge of the Sith Limited Edition CD single in today! I think it's a British-only release and available through record stores that do imports as well as Amazon UK which I ordered it through. It's got 3 tracks on it as well as a music video that's playable on PC or Mac. (It's the same "Fall of the Hero" video that's on the bonus DVD with the full Revenge of the Sith CD soundtrack.)

There are two versions of "Battle of the Heroes" on the CD single. One is the ordinary track, the other is the music mixed with the dialogue that's on the music video available on either the enhanced CD single of the bonus DVD that comes with the full soundtrack. The final track on the CD is the Star Wars theme that ends abruptly after the fanfare concludes. (Everybody knows "new music" follows in every film after the familiar fanfare concludes but to save space on the CD single the rest of the ROTS' version of the main theme is faded out.)

I'm fairly certain that radio stations in the US got nearly the same CD as the single that's been selling in the UK.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 28th, 2005, 2:46 am

Vader never choked Piett.
Piett can be seen there near the end, elbeit rather briefly. When I saw him I didn't know his name for sure. I thought it might've been Needa. Later on I called my friend who knows more about Star Wars than I do and said, "I think one of the Imperial officers can be seen at the end of ROTS and I don't know his name but I'm pretty sure it's one of the guys who doesn't get choked." He said, "Hmm, I think that might be Captain Piett then."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 28th, 2005, 4:12 am

At any rate, I definitely saw Grand Moff Tarkin on board the cruiser with Vader and Palpatine at the end of ROTS. Same hairdo, same general scowl he had in A New Hope.

I don't know about Piett, though. I really wouldn't know what to look for to be truthful and I don't recall seeing any pre-release pictures of Piett in ROTS.

What's for sure is that they cast a different actor to play Tarkin since Peter Cushing has been dead for well over 10 years and make-up probably wouldn't have been able to make Cushing look convincingly younger if he were even still alive. I think the guy who played Piett in Empire and Jedi is still alive, but I doubt they used him. Pre-release pictures were shown of the younger Tarkin and I recogized the guy right away in ROTS at the end.

I didn't even know this until I read the end credits, but Jeremy Bulloch, the original Boba Fett, played an Alderaanian officer in one of the final scenes of the movie! I think he was either a crew member on the Tantine IV or a member the asteroid colony that the Tantine IV landed on.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 28th, 2005, 11:49 am

GeorgeC wrote:I didn't even know this until I read the end credits, but Jeremy Bulloch, the original Boba Fett, played an Alderaanian officer in one of the final scenes of the movie! I think he was either a crew member on the Tantine IV or a member the asteroid colony that the Tantine IV landed on.
Yeah, I saw that. Nice.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 28th, 2005, 8:37 pm

Upset in the making?

On Friday SW Ep3 came in <i>second</I> place for the day with $15,470,000. First for the day with $15,750,000? No, <i>not</i> Madagascar! First was Adam Sandler's The Longest Yard! Madagascar was third with $14,030,000.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?s ... -27&p=.htm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 29th, 2005, 7:59 am

Ouch!

I don't hate many (any?) people in the world, but I can't stand the Fool Sandler, and have no comprehension of how his films continue to be as popular as they are.

Obviously, comeback kid Burt Reynolds had something to do with this... :(

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 29th, 2005, 12:59 pm

I don't think "The Longest Yard" remake will stay #1 for very long. It's been getting lousy reviews and most people are getting sick of Adam Sandler's shtick. (==> Me, I never saw the guy's appeal on Saturday Night Live or his movies. Same goes for Chris Rock, Chris Farley, and David Spade who are all way overrated as actors and comedians.)

It also doesn't help matters that it's yet ANOTHER remake but most people aren't aware of that fact since the original movie was made over thirty years ago!

It could very well be that ROTS will be #1 again before the end of the weekend.

I don't think Madagascar will do that well, though. Opening at #3 or lower is generally not a good sign for a new movie... The general word-of-mouth sense I get from the boards I've read is that it's another DreamWorks-mold film. This is from moviegoers, NOT film critics.

Nope, this looks like another sleepy summer. Probably the next film I'll see after The Animation Show 2005 will be Tim Burton's "Wonka." I'm curious enough to see if he pulled it off or if it's another train wreck... I've got some morbid curiousity in seeing 1 or 2 cinematic train wrecks per year even if I do tend to drive past wrecks and NOT linger long.

Most of the good stuff, as usual, is on home video.