Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by ShyViolet » May 3rd, 2020, 11:48 pm

Not to harp too much on this but this was hands-down Hayden's best scene (3:00); actually, I also shared reservations about his acting skills when I first saw SG, but this was what truly changed my mind. And he doesn't even say a word. Trust me, it's not what you'd expect.
(He's actually a little scary, but in an understated way, which gives you some idea of what Lucas squandered. :roll:)

(It's the last five minutes of the film, so I guess it's pretty much a super-spoiler, but it's not like we already don't know what's going to happen since it's based on a true story and all. Basically throughout most of the film the writing staff really dislikes Peter Saarsguard's editor character and constantly stands up for Hayden's pathological liar character. By the end they finally realize how wrong they were. :? )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 22nd, 2020, 8:35 am

Oh wow this is adorable! :). Basically a dad filmed his daughter’s reaction to hearing the: “I am your father,” line while watching Empire Strikes Back for the first time.

https://youtu.be/r9sd3e5gdkg

Actually this is part of a recent trend; there are many similar vids on YT of children reacting to this moment. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 22nd, 2020, 2:25 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 8:35 am
Actually this is part of a recent trend; there are many similar vids on YT of children reacting to this moment. :)
So, I guess I'm the last of the original theatrical "Don't be a sucker, Luke, he's lying his pants off!" generation? :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 22nd, 2020, 2:58 pm

Funny you should say that...actually one of the commentators posted that when they first saw the film in theaters, they were absolutely SURE it was a ruse. And that Obi-Wan actually killed Anakin. (Well in a WAY I guess he sort of did, remember: “I hate you!!” and then Obi immediately absconding? Honestly, I never 100% bought that he would just abandon the obviously powerless and half-dead “brother” that he basically raised. :roll:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 28th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Don't remember how I found out, but I was spoiled on the whole "I am your father" reveal... of course nowadays it's near impossible not to be! So many shows and movies parody it. My favorite would probably be from the Simpsons.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 28th, 2020, 3:27 pm

I was spoiled by the novelization. I distinctly remember reading it in the back seat while on a car trip. I sat there, stunned, mouth agape, looking around at the rest of my family, unable to share what I'd learned!

Come to think of it, WHY WAS I READING THE NOVELIZATION BEFORE SEEING THE FILM ANHOW?!?!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 28th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Randall wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 3:27 pm
Come to think of it, WHY WAS I READING THE NOVELIZATION BEFORE SEEING THE FILM ANHOW?!?!?
Because you couldn't wait.
The same reason we all read those MCU and Disney/Pixar kids' books at Barnes & Noble, a month ahead.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 29th, 2020, 4:18 pm

One of my weirdest Star Wars childhood memories was seeing Yoda for the first time and being ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED. :roll: I know it sounds silly but I was like eight lol. I RAN out of that living room; then a few minutes later I ended up coming back and not being as scared. Wanna know why? Because he sounded so much like Grover! :P :wink:

https://youtu.be/E3-CpzZJl8w

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Really cool tribute to Kylo Ren! 8)

https://youtu.be/h8JvVJHiJ88

(First fanvid I’ve seen that actually edits all three trilogies together smoothly.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 10th, 2020, 1:29 am

Interesting (but not very surprising). Good on Daisy for speaking out! :)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/entertai ... index.html

Even with everything, I’ll admit there were scenes I really enjoyed from all three Sequel Trilogy films. (And way more than the Prequels, although I guess that’s not saying much.). The scene between Han’s ghost and Kylo/Ben in ROS was superb. (Although I guess Kylo being an essentially different character in each film sullied some of that scene’s power.)

Anyway, to me:

Prequel trilogy: Inert. Never gets going, because there’s a story all right, but no characters to speak of.

Sequel trilogy: Inept. Characters (or at least potential ones) but no story. Every film feels about one-quarter finished, if that. Kind of like a school assignment scribbled at the very last minute that’s mostly plagiarized anyway.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 10th, 2020, 4:35 am

I never cared for the prequel trilogy. I never could believe that a brat like Anakin is eventually the composed Darth Vader and his transition wasn't believable enough.

As for the original trilogy, ANH and ESB are good, but I just can't bring myself to be interested in RotJ.

I personally really enjoyed TFA even if it was somewhat simple and a soft reboot, I even enjoy it more than the OT tbh. But to me TLJ is really what elevates everything about Star Wars and IMO it's remarkable that the film turned out the way it did considering everything. IDK I'm just more invested in the ST characters than the other trilogies. However I have no desire to watch TRoS ever again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2020, 3:56 pm

I only have a need to watch SW: POS, aka The Fall Of Star Wars, again in a year or two to see if what I watched really happened or if it was a terrible nightmare.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 10th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Ben wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 3:56 pm
I only have a need to watch SW: POS, aka The Fall Of Star Wars, again in a year or two to see if what I watched really happened or if it was a terrible nightmare.
They came to bury Last Jedi, not to praise it. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 10th, 2020, 7:24 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 8:35 am
Oh wow this is adorable! :). Basically a dad filmed his daughter’s reaction to hearing the: “I am your father,” line while watching Empire Strikes Back for the first time.
And now, it's spread to Millennials Reacting to "their parents' (70's/80's) films" for the First Time--
Which, for the girl Tubers, means SW, Disney, Marvel, and Clueless...End of story.

For everyone else, it means SW, Disney, and the iconic 70's-80's horror titles, since those are the only "old" movies they watch.
I've been addicted to one Tuber who sat through Wizard of Oz for the first time, and didn't know the Man Behind the Curtain twist, and Psycho for the first time--His reaction to THAT twist was priceless. :mrgreen:

(And they're STILL believing Vader on face value from the first line, like Luke did!...Why? Were we that much more cynical as a nation forty years ago??)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2020, 8:03 pm

It can’t be! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!