AV Forum Member

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by Daniel » October 14th, 2020, 1:23 pm

"The Mandalorian" season 2 trailer:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 14th, 2020, 6:43 pm

I know everyone tunes in--and subscribes to the service, ftm--for Baby Yoda, but seriously:
Is this trying to be some kind of Lone Wolf & Cub thing?

(I never watch binge-hit shows without grudging reservations and a LOT of persuasion.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 14th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Personally, I found "Baby Yoda" to be one of the most underwhelming things in the overall underwhelming Mandalorian series. I’m hoping the second batch, with Boba, will have less filler.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 14th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Just a random thought: shouldn’t Jango Fett’s clone son Boba from the second Prequel actually be called “Baby Boba”?? (OK I’ll shut up now. :P)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 14th, 2020, 10:16 pm

The Child was a massive surprise when we all tuned in the first night. Seeing the show once the surprise has been spoiled just ain't the same.

And, could the world please quit calling The Child "Baby Yoda?" Sigh. It's a losing battle, I know.

And yes, the show is totally Lone Wolf and Cub, with a large helping of The Mando with No Name. With lasers.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 15th, 2020, 3:18 am

I did put it in quotes!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 19th, 2020, 3:37 pm

It really is amazing how much merch of The Child is available. Walmart and Target are packed! Pops, plush, keychains, sheets, hand sanitizers, ornaments .. the list is endless! I'm so thankful I don't find him cute.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 19th, 2020, 5:06 pm

That’s the thing, though: feels like it’s a merch op first and a character, or maybe just a plot point, second.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 20th, 2020, 1:21 am

To be fair, Disney kept The Child a secret, and avoided any merchandising, until after its reveal. The merchandise came well after. Me, I don't get caught up in the merchandising aspect. The Child really drives the whole plot of the show just by existing. Its not much of a character, yet, being basically a baby.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 20th, 2020, 2:48 am

I don't watch the show but doesn't it take place after the OT? How does it make sense that they have Yoda as a child? It does seem like he's there only for merchandising purposes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 20th, 2020, 2:49 am

Here are some photos Rian Johnson shared recently:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 20th, 2020, 4:24 am

Farerb wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 2:48 am
I don't watch the show but doesn't it take place after the OT? How does it make sense that they have Yoda as a child? It does seem like he's there only for merchandising purposes.

It's not Yoda. It's just a member of the same species I believe. I haven't watched the show either. They are just called Baby Yoda mainly because Yoda's species has never been officially named (as far as I can recall), so instead of Baby [Insert Species Name] we got Yoda as a shorthand to discuss who we are talking about and especially for people who were seeing memes etc without having seen the show.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 20th, 2020, 5:18 am

Bill1978 wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 4:24 am
Farerb wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 2:48 am

It's not Yoda. It's just a member of the same species I believe. I haven't watched the show either. They are just called Baby Yoda mainly because Yoda's species has never been officially named (as far as I can recall), so instead of Baby [Insert Species Name] we got Yoda as a shorthand to discuss who we are talking about and especially for people who were seeing memes etc without having seen the show.
Thank you for the explanation. It's weird that they didn't give him a real name.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2020, 6:09 am

This is because we don’t know who it is, where it comes from, or even what it is.

And I say "it" because we don’t know if it is a boy Yoda, girl Yoda (Yodalene?)...or both!? Knowing progressive Disney, it’ll be that it can be both (Frank Oz did Miss Piggy, after all)!

Roll on Season Two. And let’s hope they keep to what they were planning and don’t go Baby Yodalene overboard just because it’s become this big deal...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 20th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Supposedly in the third episode The Child is referred to as "him".