Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2015, 6:03 am

George isn't anywhere near this one, Bill. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 20th, 2015, 11:48 am

Ben wrote: Or is it classic JJ misdirection to get us all to think a bunch of things and then surprise us with something else entirely? I hope so...!
I'm still going with the "Old Spock" theory that he's saving it for the big surprise.
Old Han was a selling point (to tell us there were OT characters in it without showing us ALL the characters), but the OT character still aren't the heroes of the story.

(Yes, the vocoded voice on the masked villain has predictable Twist Revelation written all over it, but to say that the whole trilogy is going to rehash the "redemption" plot with Luke, that's just silly and franchise-contrived--Or, as Everything Wrong With said about the Hawkeye subplot in Avengers:AoU, "just feels stupid, rushed, forced and stupid".
OTOH, this is Abrams who beat two whole movies out of rehashing 80's-geek Wrath of Khan references, so "franchise-contrived" isn't off the table. :? )

I mean, I don't want to be Cassandra Wetblanket, but remember how cool and elaborate and epic we plot-blue-sky'ed on what was going to happen in Phantom Menace, back in winter of '98? And that was with George.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2015, 3:07 pm

But George *not* being involved is the best thing about these new movies.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 20th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Just gonna quickly shoot down the "It's Luke who's behind that mask" rumor...especially since it's Adam Driver, not Mark Hamill, who's behind that thing. ;)

Seriously, Disney has too much riding on this thing to risk annoying every Star Wars fan on the planet just for the sake of a "plot twist."
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Yeah, I know it's Driver, and we know it's Luke resting his hand on R2...but it's fun to speculate...! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 20th, 2015, 9:15 pm

Ugh... wha...

I think I passed out or something...

I remember seeing something beautiful...

Jedis, Wookies, X-Wings, BB-8...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 20th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Based on JJ's Stark Trek II and his Khan non-surprise, one might think that he's about to start denying all the obvious "Luke turns to the Dark Side " rumours... only for us to find out later that that's exactly what happens. I'd be okay with that as a story, but let's just skip the silly denials this time.

Or, as Ben said, maybe we actually WILL be surprised this time around!

I just watched the trailer twice in a row with my boy, and it gave me tingles up the spine. I am officially on board for this. Tickets have been purchased for the 19th, so that I can take my son to the matinee.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 21st, 2015, 12:21 pm

Dacey wrote:Just gonna quickly shoot down the "It's Luke who's behind that mask" rumor...especially since it's Adam Driver, not Mark Hamill, who's behind that thing. ;)
What?? But that violates decades of movie cliche', in having the mysterious masked silent/disguised-voice character turn out to be a male one! :lol:

(Maybe it's my generation, but the minute I heard the altered voice, I immediately pictured
Madonna from "Dick Tracy".
Thus giving no comfort about the Luke rumors.)
Randall wrote:Tickets have been purchased for the 19th, so that I can take my son to the matinee.
Between this and Jurassic World, we'll be chin-deep this year in "I must take my son to see this, as my father did before me!" movies, which is...well, I won't begrudge all the people who parent-bonding pilgrimaged to Lion King 3D, but isn't there a little bit of a burn left from Indy/Crystal Skull?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 21st, 2015, 1:09 pm

Or it could just be that kids have always liked Star Wars. And dinosaurs, for that matter.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2015, 7:27 pm

Evil Luke?

Hamill talks about the idea with JJ in the room...TEN years ago...

http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/did-hami ... alker.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 21st, 2015, 9:28 pm

Again, it seems like a Trilogy of Evil Luke would theoretically be a cool full-circle next-trilogy idea on paper, to some overworked screenwriter trying to live up to the project, but in execution, it would just ride even more roughshod on the OT than the PT did with the Midichlorian and Saga of Anakin nonsense.

The earlier trailer-voiceovers were suggesting that Luke is the new senior Yoda-mentor of the Force--living in exile like Old Ben--but, like Dacey said, to suddenly have another "You were the chosen one!" hero we've rooted for all this time turn around and betray us just for thematically dramatic conflict would just PO too many fans in the real world. Like watching a ninth Harry Potter film where Harry gets bored and decides Voldemort must've been right all along, or where Frodo decides to use the Ring and become the new dark lord after all.
After all this expectation, nobody wants "Ep. VII - A No-Hope".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2015, 3:34 am

I actually think they will release Luke footage/images about a week or two before release, just to pull in those that might just still be on the fence.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 30th, 2015, 10:37 am

Excellent interview with the man behind the Lego Star Wars specials:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/spoofing ... 15042.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2015, 1:22 pm

Not much of a spoiler...if it is (search your feelings, you know it to be true!) ;)