Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by EricJ » January 15th, 2020, 3:13 am

Bill1978 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 2:15 am
You know the part of Rise of Skywalker that disappointed me the most? Three Pio's demise. I found that section more poignant and emotional in the trailer. The trailer presented it like Three Pio made the decision himself to end his life.
Just about every "trailer moment" (except Riding to the Rescue) was a fakeout:
3P0 didn't die. Rey didn't turn into a dark-side Sith. And Rey and Kylo didn't actually smash some big stone thing in a one-on-one fight, except in their imaginations.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 15th, 2020, 4:20 am

Apparently, in early cuts of TROS, Threepio and Chewbacca did die .. and even the Millennium Falcon was destroyed during the climactic battle (killing Lando and Wedge). Those events were 'retconned' and/or dropped entirely in the re-cuts, due to poor audience scores. Speculation: George Lucas still gets a fee whenever Disney uses any characters and elements that he'd created .. so, Disney might've been attempting to avoid paying those fees in any future SW films. :? (highlight text for 'spoiler-riffic' speculation)

Since there had previously been a story point made at the end of Revenge of the Sith about Threepio's memory being 'wiped' .. I'd thought it might've been a bit more poignant (and perhaps slightly funnier!) if Artoo's archived 'restore point' for Threepio had been from that time period. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 15th, 2020, 5:42 am

There is word of a totally different third act (and LOTS of discarded scenes throughout), meaning that they didn’t even have a full plan for this one movie, let alone the trilogy as a whole. There’s even word that Lucas was drafted in to save things in reshoots, just as he had been on Solo (he introduced new director Ron Howard to the crew and stuck around).

Georgie also created the whole thing...so he’ll gets a cut from any and all things to do with SW, as per the "based on" credit he gets. He may have sold it, but the man who was canny enough to get sequel and merch rights from the beginning will have made sure to get his backend creative fee(s)! That’s industry standard (especially as it wasn’t work for hire) and, since he’s also a Disney shareholder now, there’s no reason to try and "write him out". Why bring in a Baby Yoda otherwise?

The memory thing was ultimately trailer bait (and I agree seemed more heartfelt there) since everything was undone by the end anyway. That was another problem with the film, that there was no real sacrifice or real surprises. Everything was just so rote!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 20th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Major critic reviews on every Star Wars film ever made, including Solo and Rogue One, (ROS was still a month off).

Interesting seeing the very first impressions of said movies, especially of the OT films. (That first Empire Strikes Back review was actually considered “positive” at the time. Lol.)

https://ew.com/movies/2019/11/29/review ... ars-movie/

Owen Gleiberman’s perfect assessment of Sith. Just so spot-on. (IMHO)

The trouble with Revenge of the Sith is that we’re never really shown what we’re told about endlessly: Anakin succumbing to the temptations of power. He sulks a lot, with a bead of resentment in his eye, but his actions never take that crucial turn toward the destructive narcissism of Darth Vader. The audience has to work to make sense of his journey, but what we’re really doing is putting together the script that George Lucas didn’t, quite.”
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 20th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Bingo. I never bought Anakin's turn to the Dark Side any more than I bought the love story with Padme. The films are so badly underwritten. I get more out of reading a Wikipedia entry than from watching the films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2020, 12:46 am

Yeah...Liam Neeson only took the part of Qui-Gon because he liked the character...he thought the Phantom screenplay itself was just awful. Apparently he read through it like this: “Bull****, bull****, bull****, me, bull****, me, me, bull****, me. Makes sense since I don’t think he ever made ANY cameos as a Force ghost in any of the films that followed Phantom. (Can’t really blame him. :? )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2020, 6:01 am

He did come in to read lines (or more accurately words) for TFA and ROS.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 21st, 2020, 10:24 am

And he voiced Qui-Gon in a couple episodes of The Clone Wars.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2020, 11:05 am

Oh cool, I didn’t realize that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 21st, 2020, 11:53 pm

Of course, Clone Wars was much , much better written and directed than the prequels. Much better Anakin (scripted and acted), too!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 24th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Rise of SkyWalker Honest trailer:

https://youtu.be/O7dq_wo5eto

Even though there are parts of this film that I LOVED (and even made me :cry:), this is just...so...funny. :D

Brilliantly sums up EVERYTHING about the 21st century trilogy. (I’ve decided to call it that from now on.)

Recommend! A good stress-reliever!! :) :)

* Oh one or two weird/gross jokes not pertaining to the HT right at the very end.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2020, 9:46 pm

Just FYI...it's commonly known as the Sequel Trilogy (also because two of the prequels were also released in the 21st century!).

Not as sharp as usual for them, but then it was a pretty easy massive target!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 24th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Yeah, I thought about that later....Clones being ‘02 and Sith being ‘05. But if you think about it everyone refers to those films as the “Prequel Trilogy,” anyway, so maybe 21st Century would be OK. (Well, I guess it might be confusing if you’re not a fanboy/girl. :))

But still...I really think “Sequel Trilogy” is in some ways really confusing as well. :? The truth is that there are just so many sequels now (and prequels that are also sequels) plus THREE DIFFERENT TRILOGIES all of which have pretty weird chronology since the “original” ‘77-‘83 one actually belongs in the MIDDLE.

And the two with CGI that is so obviously far more advanced actually coming BEFORE and AFTER the one that looks (and actually is) the oldest. I can’t imagine how confused average people are going to be ten years from now! :shock: (Well actually I’m sure many already are.)

My favorite line in the HT:

“Use the Force...Me!!!”

:lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 25th, 2020, 5:22 am

Well, it’s pretty simple, Vi!

Original Trilogy, of which there is no debate.

Prequel Trilogy, which came after OT but tells backstory, as a prequel. Simple.

Sequel Trilogy, which picks up after the events of the OT like a, y'know, sequel.

Added to this, each entry has an Episode number, so you can watch in OT. PT and ST order as they were made, or in I to IX story order (which doesn’t actually work but, hey, you know).

Everything else is bolt-ons and additions, inserted how you like, although interesting that on D+ I see that they include Solo and Rogue between III and IV.

But to say 21st century is much more confusing, especially as we're likely to get at least one if not two or more trilogies over the next few years...! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 25th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Yeah, good points. :).