Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by Randall » October 21st, 2020, 1:29 am

Star Wars exists for merchandising purposes. Singling out The Child is really kind of silly. And as I said, Disney showed a lot of restraint and withheld merchandising plans until after the reveal.

And yeah, I think that The Child is referred to as "him" a few times.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2020, 6:13 am

Randall wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 1:29 am
Disney showed a lot of restraint and withheld merchandising plans until after the reveal.
I think you’ll find that’s called building awareness and anticipation. It’s all part of the plan and, thus, merchandising. You can’t sell anything if people don’t know about it and want it. By "holding back" they did exactly what worked in 1977 — but on purpose this time! They created a pent-up demand for something that "wasn’t ready" yet. Until it was. This time, that "unanticipated" demand was very much anticipated...and developed very carefully and intentionally.

But thanks for believing in their magic... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 21st, 2020, 7:28 pm

And now, Disney+ has announced they're finally going forward with that Lucas-owned "Willow"-followup series they promised to make back at the beginning.

I was about to make a joke about the original movie being a product of the "baby-boom" late-80's, when every movie had to have three relationship-uncommitted men and a baby in it, and how every third shot and plot point had to be about Cute Lil' Elora, but then I realized....NO.
Please tell me the reason D+ is going ahead with the series is not what it looks like.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 22nd, 2020, 2:25 pm

Second Mandalorian trailer:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 22nd, 2020, 9:15 pm

Huh...more of the same. And the supposedly flash-hot Mando showing off his exceptional skill at not being flash hot! Can’t say this has me any more excited.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2020, 5:38 am

So started Mando 2 yesterday, and as hinted by the trailer, nothing about the season premiere made me like it any more. It still feels small and cheap. Crowd scenes don’t have many crowds, the sound mix was all over the place, with some surprisingly hard to make out dialogue, and I hated the aspect ratio change for a central action sequence that just made this feel even more like television than the nice feature-like widescreen.

Why do Mando's feet make a chink-chink sound when he walks? He doesn’t have spurs! Why does his speeder bike have a petrol engine sound when it’s idling? Because it’s a "bike"? And Baby Yoda (yeah, I'm calling him that) looked even more fake and animatronicy than he did in season one, for some reason. His skin is too clean. It looks like rubber or latex, not something organic.

No...sorry...I’m just still not being sold on this thing. Its production techniques are more impressive than the pretty badly written show itself.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 1st, 2020, 6:39 am

I could never care about The Mandalorian tbh. I tried. But it feels like Boba Fett 2.0 in a slightly more nuanced and grimdark package and it's so transparently targeted to "True Star Wars Fans" that it just makes me want nothing to do with it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 1st, 2020, 10:24 am

It's an "okay" TV show. My son loved loved loved the new episode, so it works for a 13 year old. Me, I am well past the point of getting excited about Star Wars. But I have liked the show enough that I don't mind watching it with my boy. And a few episodes have been pretty good.

Mando's feet "chink chink" only because the show is a western. (From episode 1, I have referred to it as The Mando With No Name.) So, the sound is stylized. Maybe it was intended to be subtle, though it's obviously somewhat forced and obvious. And, yeah, silly. But then, SW has lots of silliness.

The Child looks fake? Hm. Again, this is a TV show. About a little green baby. I only expect so much. The Gamorrean "pig" fighters looked even more fake, yet they looked just like they did in the films. SW has a long and proud history of fake puppet and creature effects.

I am not saying the show is great. I am saying it matches my expectations for SW these days.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2020, 4:45 pm

Obv I get that his boots chink because it’s a western. Well, duh! But it still doesn’t make sense. Maybe if his boots looked more metally or had something that could explain the chinks it would work. Instead, I got bored again and started thinking too much about things. Not the sign of something "good".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 5th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Lego Holiday Special trailer:

Looks fun!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Not what I was expecting, so it could indeed be fun. Time to make SW fun again...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 17th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Special is up today! Need to give that a watch soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Speaking of specials, I finally watched the original Star Wars holiday special (1977) for the first time ever. I’ve always wondered how bad it really was, would it live up to the “hype”?

Well, I’ll say this: it was without a doubt one of the STRANGEST things I have ever seen. Almost disturbingly so! Lol. ;). I can definitely see why it’s been “disowned” from the Star Wars canon again and again. If you haven’t seen it...let’s just say it has to do with Chewbacca’s family awaiting his visit on “Life Day.” That’s all I’m going say. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 17th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Bea Arthur's performance was gold(en)! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Yeah, her performance was hands-down the best.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!