Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 21st, 2023, 8:04 pm

Did we ever think Kathleen was a good fit for running Lucasfilm?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 21st, 2023, 8:11 pm

Yes, in the beginning. She was a whiz of a producer, after all. But once Disney started making demands for content... it kinda fell apart.

Filoni, though, is an accomplished show runner from the animation days. He knows, understands, and loves Star Wars, and I think he would have avoided some of the bigger film mistakes made in the past few years if he'd had more input. I'm not sure how much to blame him, however, for whatever happened with the Boba Fett show.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2023, 7:14 am

No, everyone (in the know) was a bit "really?" when Lucas gave Kennedy the keys to the galaxy. She got producer credits on a lot of big films that she didn’t actually produce, in a typical Hollywood manner, which is why you now have the PGA assignation after *real* producer names on films nowadays. KK was always an associate at best, who got better credit because of her husband and his stance within the Spielberg-verse.

Those two were always more team-Spielberg than team-Lucas anyway, so it was always a bit of an odd fit. I guess ol' Georgie was hoping to find someone he knew and thought he could trust, that could run the show but would continue to need him on a consultation basis. Once he was gone, however, she and Iger did what they did, and Lucas found out what happens when you sell your company to another one and the person you thought you put in charge turns out to be playing for the other team.

She’s a shrewd political Hollywood animal, yes, but as a creative producer and overseer of such a vast franchise (and extended company), it’s no shock that she's surrounded herself with people that (should) know better, and it’s no surprise that some of those people are now starting to rise towards the top…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 3rd, 2024, 8:23 pm

The Star Wars Holiday Special doc is here!

https://www.disturbanceintheforce.com/? ... Hwbn12ROCk

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2024, 4:32 am

Disney should totally own this (as in making the best of the situation) and buy this up for D+!

I'm in for when I see it on sale…these kinds of docs can go either way, so I’m always a little trepidatious, plus this is a BD-R.

Although it may well be as (or more?) "entertaining" than the special itself, which honestly is a chore to sit through, I'll def see this down the line, though hopefully Sky pick it up here as they have done for so many others.

Speaking of, and along the same beam, the Galaxy Quest doc is also coming to disc, and that one is well worth it, especially for hearing Sigourney Weaver finally ADR that infamous line. Still think it would have got the biggest single surprise laugh in the movie!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2024, 3:19 pm

Mando getting the big screen treatment. Meh. Such a boring title.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2024, 3:22 pm

Boring everything. Who's actually going to go see this? I can watch filler programming at home thanks. SW is finally eating itself. It’s only regurgitated mess we’re going to get now…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 9th, 2024, 5:18 pm

Star Wars ended a long time ago. It's all just fanfics now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2024, 4:08 am

Well, as I've said before, Star Wars starts and ends with…Star Wars, really. Empire and Jedi at a push. But that’s it. Everything else is really just frills and, as you say, fanfics/pics.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 10th, 2024, 10:41 am

I don't like the Prequels, but they are still a part of the original creator's vision.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2024, 7:41 pm

After the fact, though.

There were no prequels before Star Wars. Star Wars itself wasn't "Episode IV" until a 1981 reissue after Empire came out in 1980. Empire was shot as "Chapter II" (not even "episode") back in 1979. It was after SW success that Lucas retrofitted the backstory — hence the inconsistency in the SW dialogue — and made up the stuff about 7, 8 and 9, then it was a six-story arc, then back to nine, etc.

When it was shot and first released. Star Wars was Star Wars, plain and simple. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 21st, 2024, 6:03 pm

Star wars almost all movies heading back to the big screen.

https://www.starwars.com/news/skywalker-saga-marathon

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2024, 5:32 am

That’s a *terrible* poster! Who's playing Luke and Leia in these reissues!? ;)

I saw Phantom was getting reissued, the others are a surprise. Guess Disney really does have next to nothing for summer, eh? What else can we shove back out there? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 23rd, 2024, 2:51 am

I just got a marketing email from The El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood (Disney's local 'flagship' movie venue) for this event.

US$135.00 ticket price .. but that includes unlimited popcorn! :mrgreen:

The show starts at 10AM .. and probably runs through at least midnight!! :o