Illumination and Nintendo Team up for Animated Mario Movie!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Illumination and Nintendo Team up for Animated Mario Movie!

Post by gaastra » December 12th, 2014, 8:01 am

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/243536-rumo ... ated-movie

Nintendo and sony are in good terms right now so i can see this. I hope the leak does not kill the film however. You know how nintendo is.

Edit--Confirmed!
Sony Pictures and Nintendo appear to have closed a deal for the animated feature film rights to the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise, according to a series of emails discovered in the massive trove of hacked Sony files recently leaked to the media.

“I am the proud father of mario the animated film [sic],” producer Avi Arad told Sony studio chief Amy Pascal in an email dated Oct. 23, 2014, with the subject line “Mario.” Arad then forwarded Pascal separate images of him with Mario Bros. creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, the latter of which included the message, “Happy ceo, lets get together, it’s the mother load. [sic]”

Pascal forwarded that email to Tom Rothman, who heads up Sony Pictures subsidiary TriStar Pictures. “Avi closed Mario brothers,” she said. “Animated.”
The deal represents only the first step in a very long road to a greenlight for an actual feature film. Animated films especially go through a long and rigorous script development process before a movie starts production. The emails also did not indicate any filmmakers attached to the project, although Pascal does at one point suggest Genndy Tartakovsky, who directed the 2012 Sony Pictures Animation feature Hotel Transylvania and created the Cartoon Network series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. “ts soooo perfect for him,” Pascal wrote. (A rep for Tartakovsky tells BuzzFeed News, however, that the filmmaker “is not involved.”)

On Oct. 24, Arad sent an email to Sony Pictures Animation president of production Michelle Raimo Kouyate thanking her for a congratulatory basket she sent him filled with Mario Bros. merchandise. “Thank you Avi!” Kouyate responded. “Let’s build a Mario empire!” Kouyate also sent a photo of the basket to Pascal, and said, “I can think of 3-4 movies right out of the gate on this. So huge!”
Curiously, BuzzFeed News could not find any emails in which anyone at Sony Pictures expressed concern about any conflicts with their video game corporate cousin Sony Computer Entertainment, which is a direct competitor with Nintendo. But Mario Bros. is a property that Arad apparently had been chasing for some time: In a Feb. 24 email, Kouyate indicated to Pascal that Arad was traveling to Japan in part “to meet with his Nintendo guy (who he has been courting for a couple years).” Then on July 14, Arad sent the following email to Pascal: “I am heading to Tokyo … I am going to try and bring back a little plumber. I guess we can all use our pipes cleaned.”

Nintendo has famously kept its video game properties away from movie adaptations after the disastrous 1993 live-action film Super Mario Bros. starring Bob Hoskins as Mario and John Leguizamo as his brother Luigi. In 2013, BuzzFeed News asked Mario Bros. creator Miyamoto if Nintendo had any interest in working with Hollywood again.

“There have been a lot of cases where we’ve been approached by different people with lots of different ideas,” he said. “And I don’t want to say that it’s impossible, [but] I don’t want you to get the impression that we are in the middle of making a movie or something. … But we always have to take into account the fact that game entertainment and movie entertainment is quite different — one being passive, and one being active. Those don’t always necessarily mix.”

Reps for Sony and Nintendo did not immediately respond to a request for comment

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/sony- ... bros-movie

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Sony and Nintendo Team up for Animated Mario Movie!

Post by Jpcase » December 12th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Very, very cool. :D I've always felt that several of Nintendo's properties could work well as animated films. Though Super Mario Bros. has a certain Disney-quality to it - fantasy kingdom, princesses, monstrous villains. And since Disney has already dipped their toes in video game films, it might have been nice to see them go further down that avenue.

There's a Wreck-It Ralph 2 in development, right? I wonder what this could mean for future Nintendo cameos, if that film ever gets off the ground.

Not sure how I feel about Sony doing this film, but I have more trust in them I think, than I would have in someone like Blue Sky. And although I never saw Hotel Transylvania, Genndy Tartakovsky does seem like he could be a good fit based on his television work.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Well Disney already did their Mario Bros. movie, remember? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 12th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Genndy Tartakovsky is currently directing Hotel Transylvania 2, and will likely take the reins on Popeye immediately afterward. Sony also announced back in March that Tartakovsky is developing an original concept titled Can You Imagine?

Even if the last ends-up not happening for whatever reason, he's gonna be pretty darn busy for the next couple of years.

Not to worry; Sony Pictures Animation is chock-full of talented 'cartoony fun'-type peoples. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by take » March 9th, 2015, 9:20 am

Yes, this movie has been dubbed over. Yes, that's pretty much the same joke from Toy Story 2 at the end. And yes, this looks awful.
Nawaz

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 15th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Nintendo themselves gives update! First movie will be out in 2 years! Nintendo working with other studios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvLnxnQG7IU

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 2nd, 2019, 10:47 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 2nd, 2019, 10:48 am

Also not by sony anymore. Wish I could fix that title.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Illumination and Nintendo Team up for Animated Mario Movie!

Post by Dacey » February 2nd, 2019, 6:30 pm

Ask and ye shall receive. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 16th, 2020, 9:49 am

They just confirmed the super mario movie has been pushed to 2022! Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto is helping with the film!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/video_ga ... #gs.fr0oaj

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 16th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Isn’t 2022 the year it was set to come out anyway?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 16th, 2020, 4:41 pm

No, that was 2022. He means 2022.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 17th, 2020, 10:49 am

Nintendo looking to make more movies based on it's games?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/nintendo-teases ... 1845076014

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 14th, 2021, 5:02 pm

New voice for mario?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 15th, 2021, 1:04 am

Wouldn't that be a given? Can't recall anytime a video game voice was used for a big budget movie.