DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel, Justice League and DC MOVIES

Post by Ben » December 22nd, 2020, 5:27 am

While the timing might have been fortuitous for Warners, Snyder was not replaced. He left the project because his daughter died, and rather than delay, Warners took the chance to lighten up their movie. But he was not fired or replaced.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 27th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Wonder woman 2 makes $16m in america and $85m ww. Part 3 is in the works.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-wom ... 8/#pagetop

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-wom ... 234661767/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 27th, 2020, 4:08 pm

gaastra wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Wonder woman 2 makes $16m in america and $85m ww. Part 3 is in the works.
And the Internet reaction to WW3 has been "Uh, LETS not get ahead of ourselves..."

Even for angry DC fanboys, the Dec. 26th reaction to WW84 has been...colorful. :lol:
The fan-RT consensus seems to be that, unlike the ponderously earnest but fun first movie, the followup is extremely goofy, and either you roll with the Extreme, or can't stand the Goofy.
Doug "Nostalgia Critic" Walker, with his usual modest self-effacing restraint, did a personal out-of-character Saturday-night first-impressions rundown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-1bRZefII

("So, this guy finds this stone that grants wishes, and tries to rule the world with it--"
Hadn't seen the movie yet, but my first on-paper reaction was, "Uh, wasn't that Faye Dunaway in 'Supergirl'? :? ")

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 2nd, 2021, 10:17 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » January 7th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Yea reactions to WW84 have been colorful. even before it premiered -

[ quote removed ]

:?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2021, 2:46 pm

I take it that comment is a joke, right? Let’s be clear here...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » January 7th, 2021, 3:07 pm

A tweet I saw posted. Not a joke.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2021, 5:39 pm

Okay, then it’s gone, for inappropriateness. I know you didn’t post it originally, but if it wasn’t made ironically, as a joke, then it’s disturbing and doesn’t really have a place here. Hope you understand. :)

Dan, also...removed your reply, since it read really wrong without Otis' quote!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 8th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Awe, but it was so ruthless! Just in case you didn't catch on, that comment was actually written by someone here which is likely why it was brought up. Yep, what a sick individual.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Ah. Was it the obvious one?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 8th, 2021, 4:21 pm

Yah.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Oh. Urgh... Why I am not surprised, although even then it was pretty sick even by those, er, low "standards".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2021, 5:14 am

Well, I am totally baffled by what we saw last night and can't say much about it, other than it was easily a half hour too long.

What a crazy, campy movie. And no reason for it to be set in 1984? Apart from a couple of costumes and a few computer monitors, everything else just looked like now...there was no other material reason. I was wondering if there was going to be some clever, subtle influence from George Orwell, but nope. Even Maxwell Lord was a comment on Resident Chump, right down to being a television personality with weird hair.

And what exactly was his motive again? Apart from the worst ever thought out, nonsensical plan for world domination? And why was the wire work on this whole film so awful and bouncy-bouncy? With some really bad VFX? It’s not like they didn’t have an extra year to make all this stuff better!

Now, I must say that, in a way, it was entertaining, but mainly because of how campy and cringe it was. So many weird choices and wild shifts in tone, there’s no denying that the film is a mess, and even when it really flies (haha, I was reminded of a line from Rise Of Skywalker here) there are still head-scratchers as to what is actually going on and why, especially the nuts ending.

And for those, like me, that thought Ming Na's cameo in Mulan was an over the top, almost direct wink to camera, a certain late appearance here is even more of a "HEY! HEY! LOOK WHO IT IS! HELLOOO!!" moment, with a literal wink! It’s kind of indicative of the film as a whole...totally bonkers and, at times, wearingly in your face. Hans Zimmer's music occasionally soars, again especially towards the end, but by then it’s kind of scrambling to contain and fix everything that’s come before.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 10th, 2021, 10:58 am

MSN has a list of the top 20 worst critic reviewed dc movies. Shocked batman and robin is not in first place!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/t ... cid=msnews

20. Wonder woman 84
19. birds of prey
18. Joker
17. Watchman
16. Man of steel
15. Aquaman
14. Batman forever
13. Sawmp thing 80s movie
12. Constintine
11. Justice league
10. Superman 3
9. The losers
8. Batman v superman
7. Suicide squad
6. Return of swamp thing
5. Green lantern
4. Jonah hex
3. Batman and robin
2. Catwoman
1. Superman 4

Surprised by some of the placements on the list. Surprised batman and robin was not first then again superman 4 was pretty bad. Looks like the 80s supergirl avoided the list.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 10th, 2021, 11:27 am

I imagine the ranking was pretty close. And I am not surprised to see Catwoman in 2nd, as that was awful, too.

And, well, Superman IV was pretty terrible. At least Batman and Robin had a polished look, as chaotic and overdone as it was, while Superman IV was really cheap-looking with its visual effects. And, though its heart was in the right place, a lot of SIV was stupid and cringey. But which would I say is worse? Tough call. Supes, at least, had Chris Reeve. I didn't mind Clooney so much, really (I preferred him to Kilmer), but always hated O'Donnell as Robin.

WW84 sounds pretty bonkers. Too bad, after hearing so much good advance word. Still, I am anxious to see it, but certainly won't be paying $30 for a one-time view. DC fanboy that I am, with some severely lowered expectations, I still hope to enjoy it to some extent.