DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 29th, 2006, 1:53 am

Someday I really need to see the other "X-Men" films. I've only seen "The Last Stand".
AHHHHHH WJ you gotta see X1 and X2! :shock: :) :wink: ESPECIALLY since you're a Magneto fan.

And watching III while not watching I and II is like...watching Jurassic Park III and not the original Jurassic Park! :roll: J/K :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 29th, 2006, 1:32 am

ShyViolet wrote:Good point Mickey! :)
Thanks, Violet. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2006, 3:03 pm

I did enjoy X-Men and thought X-2 was even better than the first.

While I'm under no illusions that "SR2" (for now) will be the Superman film that I was expecting with this 2006 update (the cast alone means that certain beats will still be missing), I will go see it as the massive fan of the character that I am.

<I>Hopefully</I>, with the direct orders from WB-on-high and Singer <I>hopefully</I> out to try and make a better impression on the fans, we may see a much better Superman film.

I'm not holding my breath, but am prepared to be proven wrong. Hey, <I>anything's</I> got to be better than what he came up with last time, right? :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 29th, 2006, 4:16 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Someday I really need to see the other "X-Men" films. I've only seen "The Last Stand".
AHHHHHH WJ you gotta see X1 and X2! :shock: :) :wink: ESPECIALLY since you're a Magneto fan.

And watching III while not watching I and II is like...watching Jurassic Park III and not the original Jurassic Park! :roll: J/K :wink:
Don't worry. I've seen all the JP films. And in their proper order. ;)

And, yeah, the more Magneto, the better. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 29th, 2006, 8:45 pm

I'm not holding my breath, but am prepared to be proven wrong. Hey, anything's got to be better than what he came up with last time, right? Smile
One thing is for sure: They should follow the Lois and Clark example and replace Jimmy Olsen! :roll: :roll:
And, yeah, the more Magneto, the better.

He's much better than in X3. His interactions with Xavier are much more believable (especially since Xavier's character isn't mangled in those)

And X1 has Magneto's origin. What more could you want? :wink:

Even while he screwed up on some details, the best thing about those Singer X-films was that he was able to convey the WONDER of humans having mutations that give them powers. For crying out loud, even the comics forgot how to do that. (and I'm not even going to mention X-Men evolution) Singer re-discovered what was great about X-Men to begin with and gave the entire franchise new life.

(IMO Rattner totally banalized X-Men with his "interpetation", but hopefully he won't be returning)

With Superman, he may have missed the mark, depending on your point of view. But any way you slice it, he didn't set in motion a gigantic Batman -sized re-interest in Superman the way WB hoped--not by a long shot.

I hope for everyone's sake that the second film comes closer to doing this.
And, yeah, the more Magneto, the better. Wink
I'd love to see Magneto/Mckellen interact with James Woods as Mr. Sinister! :o
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 29th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Anyway, getting back to Supes, I know we've discussed this before but I just felt like linking to this pic: :)

http://www.superdickery.com/dick/3.html

:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 29th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Weired pic, um, how could Superman do that :shock: and on Christmas :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 30th, 2006, 12:08 am

Those comic covers are all insane, but supposadly inside the comic is the story behind it and it has purpose.

I love how the gift is addressed: "To Dad Superman"! :D

"SR2"

I wonder what they'll call it?

Superman Returned?

Superman Returns...again?

Superman: He's baaaaack!

Hmmm..... :wink: :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 30th, 2006, 12:13 am

:roll:

(from superdickery.com, of course! :) )

Copyright DC Comics
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 30th, 2006, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 30th, 2006, 12:21 am

ShyViolet wrote:Those comic covers are all insane, but supposadly inside the comic is the story behind it and it has purpose.

I love how the gift is addressed: "To Dad Superman"! :D
Yes they are insane :roll:

That makes sence that it would be covered (the story)

I love that to! I forgot to mention that :P
ShyViolet wrote:
"SR2"

I wonder what they'll call it?

Superman Returned?

Superman Returns...again?

Superman: He's baaaaack!

Hmmm..... :wink: :roll:
I say Superman: Revamped! :lol: or Superman Reborn

So many possibilities :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 30th, 2006, 2:01 am

This is funny too:

:lol:

Copyright DC Comics

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 30th, 2006, 4:46 am

The horror! The horror! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 30th, 2006, 6:17 pm

With Superman, he may have missed the mark, depending on your point of view. But any way you slice it, he didn't set in motion a gigantic Batman -sized re-interest in Superman the way WB hoped--not by a long shot.
Yes, but that was largely thanks to WB stupidly releasing it just nine days before "Pirates of the Caribbean 2". That ended up being suicide.

But it DID gross $200M in the US, so I'm not gonna call it a flop. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 30th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Yes, but that was largely thanks to WB stupidly releasing it just nine days before "Pirates of the Caribbean 2". That ended up being suicide.
Yeah, but it's not like it was on the same weekend...it was more than a week apart. Also, there are only so many strategic weekends during the summer--end of June, July fourth, Memorial Day. And all the studios want the same ones. It's hard to schedule a film so it doesn't end up being within the range of other would-be blockbuster films. :wink:

Plus look at Batman '89 and what that film had to compete with that summer: (it came out on June 23, 1989)

Ghostbusters II (a sequel to a huge, huge, HUGE hit from only four years earlier) I think it was RIGHT before Batman, maybe only a few days before (I think it was June 20th) Believe it or not, the film might not be "great", (I liked it though) but there were BIG expectations for it. It had a really big opening weekend, I think.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: It was only about two weeks after Batman from what I can remember, maybe less. And it did amazing, especially with that Roger Rabbit short attached to it.

And...Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! :) I think this was also only a week or so before Batman. Indy grossed so high that I think it was (along with Bats) in the Guiness Book of World Records (that year) for highest grossing film in history.

There were a bunch of other films too, some hits, some not. And Batman, despite having some wonderful leaps in cinema and cinema music was not a SPECTACULAR film--it was certainly entertaining and had some great acting. But the script has some real spaces of dead air, plot holes and near-horrible acting from Kim Basinger. But it was completely new, and ahead of its time in many ways.

SR had some great stuff too (I think) but for some reason it just didn't "click" with the public the way Superman did. Trust me, that summer, IT WAS IMPOSSABLE not to know about this film and that Keaton and Nicholson were starring. The merchindising was ridiculous--EVERYWHERE you went you saw T-shirts, toys, action figures, caps, (especially caps) eveything under the sun. Not just places like Hot Topic (which didn't exist then) but every Hallmark store, toy store, and clothing store.

If you had a Batman or Joker shirt, (quite expensive) YOU WERE COOL. :) Period. :wink: Male or female--it didn't matter.

SR was merchidised, yes. I think it sold some stuff. But I didn't see a whole lot of it. And not too many people I know saw it, for some reason it just didn't "take".

But like you said, practically EVERYONE saw Dead Man's Chest. :)

(Yeah, in hindsight, Honey and GII not "great" movies, but the public is fickle and sometimes there's no absolute way to know what someone will like)

But it DID gross $200M in the US, so I'm not gonna call it a flop.
It totally isn't, ESPECIALLY since it had to share the summer with Pirates 2 and Cars. :wink: But it could have done a lot better.
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 4th, 2007, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2006, 5:49 am

While it may not be a "flop", SR is certainly a "disappointment" in the commercial stakes (I won't add that it was in the artistic stakes too - oh wait, I just did).

SR was expected to do Pirates numbers. Pirates was supposedly the dark horse. Disney were expecting around $300m for that, about on par with the first. SR should have exceeded that and done $300m to $400m, easily, if it had been a genuinely crowd pleasing film.

But it polarised audiences. No-one came out shouting "hey this is the best film ever"! It was so-so reactions even from people who "really liked" it. It split people...you didn't either like it or hate it...you either "pretty much liked it" or "hated it with venom".

At the end of the day, Singer did not plan his film properly, he built too many sets and shot way too much footage for scenes that were not used, and lost interest half way through post production to go dancing with his buds down under rather than bother to shape and edit the film carefully.

And Ottman, whatever you think of him, shouldn't have been editing AND scoring a major motion picture like this. The editing was sloppy to say the least, while the score...ugh, don't get me started on the score. Hollywood Action Picture Music 101.

One day I'm sure I'll sit down and watch it again. Maybe then I'll be able to articulate properly the anger I felt watching this joker screw up the franchise yet again.