DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel, Justice League and DC MOVIES

Post by Ben » April 14th, 2021, 8:36 pm

Only over for now...or cut that pointless additional epilogue scene(s) off the end! Even the trailer is an extended length!

Would have been better with the Zimmer Superscore, as what they used gets awfully repetitive very quickly, and hardly any JL footage in there makes it an odd one for the "trilogy".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 15th, 2021, 6:50 pm

I finally sat down and watched the Synder version. I admit it wasn't in one sitting. Started at 10am and finished at 6pm. While I appreciated the Chapters to give me a point to stop and do other things, the Chapters also made me feel like I was watching a TV show and could have a break before the next episode.

Overall, it was more enjoyable than I anticipated and not as devoid of colour as I thought it would be. Is it better than the version we got last decade? I don't think so. I would probably say it is on the same level. And for all the talk abut how the movie allows for greater character development and developed plot, while true it could only be achieved because Snyder wasn't given a 2 hour timeframe. There is no way WB would have allowed this 4 hour film to be released into the cinema. And I still standby my belief that JL should have been made AFTER a Cyborg movie and a Flash movie. That would have wiped a good hour off this movie or even more, especially if they released Aquaman's movie before this.

It says something that even without a solo movie of their own, Hawkeye and Black Widow didn't need a solo movie to explain their existence in the Avengers movie. There was no back bending to explain who they were and their importance because Marvel/Disney took their time to get to Avengers. The DCEU would have benefitted from taking it slow instead of looking for a cash cow.

And regarding the epilogue, the movie definitely should have finished when Clark walked towards the camera ripped open his shirt to reveal his Superman suit. And then that Luthor scene gets dumped in the credits. That Bruce Wayne nightmare was utterly pointless.

Going forward, when I'm in the mood for watching a TV series, I will put on ZS's version, when I;m in the mood for a movie I will put on JW's version.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2021, 7:28 pm

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 21st, 2021, 7:35 am

Better get a net for those flying pigs! After 200 years flash has started production! Keaton on board also.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2021, 2:47 pm

He'll save every one of us! ;)

Old news about Keaton though? And didn’t they previously also say that he would play "a significant part" in the story? I distinctly remember one article quoting someone as saying "this is not just a show up for a cameo type deal" appearance, or words to the effect.

But I guess it’s good it’s gotten further confirmation. Batfleck was also previously announced too, but not sure there was a confirmation for him yet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 22nd, 2021, 12:26 am

Just last week, there were stories saying that Keaton had not committed, and it was all in doubt, so that's why the confirmation is news.

Pretty cool, though, especially if it IS more than a cameo. (Having Keaton play Thomas Wayne in Flashpoint would really make sense.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2021, 4:12 am

Wouldn’t that be Brett Cullen...? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 22nd, 2021, 10:02 am

It could be, too!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2021, 11:21 am

"No... I am your father..."

"No, I am your father...!"

;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 22nd, 2021, 12:30 pm

Too bad the press is going to accuse DC of “copying the next Spider-Man film” when I’m pretty sure they made their big announcements on this before Sony did.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2021, 12:45 pm

But not before Spideyverse... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 2nd, 2021, 2:36 pm

A photo of the unused Green Lantern cut has been released and of course fans are demanding more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 3rd, 2021, 5:34 am

So Warner apparently tells Zack he can't include Green Lantern because there will be no movie or something but they let him film that ridiculous epilogue for movies that will never happen? And then Zack films secret shots but doesn't use them? I thought ZSJL was the definitive cut of the movie he wanted, guess even Zack has to bend TPTB sometimes, like other directors.

And now fans are demanding Warner release the missing scene. See Warner, this is what happens when you give into the fans. They will never be content because they have learnt that persistent harrassment with a hashtag will give them what they feel they deserve.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2021, 5:55 am

From what I understand, the actor had been cast but not filmed his scene. When ZS wanted to add the epilogue, WB said no to Lantern (understandably, as far as I can see) so he replaced him with Martian Manhunter.

And the film would have been a pretty perfect send-off for this story — and still left the door open for future films as several points are left hanging — until he added that awful, unnecessary and unneeded epilogue scene that just doesn’t fit tonally, directorially, design-wise, budgetarily, or sensically (and, yes, I’m making up new words here, just as ZS made up a whole new fanbait ending). He knew exactly what he was doing by adding this and, to be honest, I kind of hope that WB stands firm. Everyone needs to move on.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 3rd, 2021, 9:21 am

Here's what Bill is referring to; you can see the filming set-up here - literally done in Zack's driveway:
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256678 ... ague-shoot

While I'm a little curious as the the content of the scene, obviously it would have little impact on the story.