DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel (2013)

Post by Randall » April 15th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Okay, not so much a review as "someone who works for DC and saw the film said it was really good," with mild spoilers. Still, any good word on the film is welcomed.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2013, 1:09 pm

I think it's pretty obvious that Lex would be in this, although I'm wondering if they're not saving him for the second act, just as Joker was saved for Dark Knight. Luthor may have a bit more going on in this than just a playing card teaser right at the end, but unless he's pulling Zod's strings (which would be predictable and lazy) then I would expect him to make some kind of appearance, maybe not of a major kind, but not so minor either.

I'm still split over the suit. Okay, so they lost the shorts, but kept the belt buckle that's there for no reason and is too small to be one thing or the other, or anything! It does sound like they're using the film - even if it is a standalone - to introduce the Justice League world, which could be cool (and there's no reason they couldn't incorporate Nolan's Batman into it since Superman's arrival on Earth could easily post-date that trilogy).

I also love Amy Adams, but I'm not going for her Lois. She's just Amy Adams. Lovely enough, and probably playing it perfectly, but she needed darker hair or even the smallest of appearance changes to merge into the role. Here she's just going to be Amy Adams as Lois Lane.

I'm finding the Krypton costumes (Zod, Jor-El) to be lazy too. Typical sci-fi get-up without any real coolness or originality. Crowe looks to be Russell Crowe as Jor-El; there's nothing that really makes him Jor-El. Hmmm, I'm starting to worry here (and is it me, or is the new "viral video" teaser with Zod quite simply stupid?)...

The "early preview" doesn't add much, but at least we know Kal-El isn't Clark Kent until near the end, which takes a big detour from the established story (and also borrows liberally from Smallville's last season or so). I *do* kind of like this direction, but will have to wait and see it play out. I'm hoping now that they aren't going for some silly, super-reaslistic take on Superman arriving on Earth. Because that would just be like throwing the (super)baby out with the bathwater.

I am still excited...just not as much as I was (probably a good thing, seeing how high I went into the execrable Returns...) :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 16th, 2013, 10:13 pm

An interesting excerpt from an article on fans' expectations for MoS:

http://whatculture.com/film/man-of-stee ... ilm.php/10
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2013, 5:06 am

Well, the new trailer is out. Some of it looks great, some not so much. Not sure Shannon shouting like that is actually as intimidating as Zod should be. Interesting ideas, though. I'm not really buying Krypton but Cavill looks the part. Hating the Zimmer music though, if this is a taster of it. Sounded more like 70s disco buildup (under the studio logos) than an exciting anticipation of Supes' arrival.

I was also kept being reminded of the '78 film in many lines of dialogue. I thought the point of this was not to reboot the whole thing but that is what they are doing and they keep reminding us of the original film too! I'm a bit more jazzed than I was, still not as much as I should be...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2013, 8:30 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 19th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Interesting summary of what Bryan Singer's Man of Steel film would have been like:
Actually sounds kind of cool! :)

http://screenrant.com/bryan-singer-supe ... rob-91933/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2013, 5:56 am

Yeah, but Superman Returns sounded pretty cool at one point! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2013, 11:00 am

True, but at least they kill off the superkid plus Brainiac is in it! I wonder if it really would have been as exciting as it sounds, or maybe it would also have had that muted feel of SR with major dead spots in the middle. I guess we'll never know.

BTW, is Jimmy Olsen in MoS? I don't think anyone has referred to or mentioned him yet. I hope he is! (And that he actually looks like a kid this time and not older than Clark!) :roll:

EDIT: Just checked IMBD and apparently he isn't. That's kind of a disappointment. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 21st, 2013, 11:06 am

Rumour is that Jimmy's a girl in this one. Serious.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2013, 11:22 am

Ugh! That's just...not right. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 21st, 2013, 9:16 pm

IMDB lists the character as rumoured, but her name is reportedly Jenny Olsen. And the actress is a brunette.

On the oteghr hand, there are lsitings there for a Lana Lang, Pete Ross, Steve Lombard, and a Professor Emil Hamilton, which is cool.
Last edited by Randall on April 21st, 2013, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 22nd, 2013, 10:57 am

That's kind of a disappointment. How can you have Superman without. Jimmy?

Cavill and the comics:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/21/m ... ry-cavill/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 24th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Very cool fan-made title sequence for MoS. All original footage.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... -of-steel/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 8th, 2013, 12:59 am

Gonna just step in and say this is kinda funny...especially since the person found a way to easily match up Amy Adams' Lois Lane with a character that she actually voiced!

http://youtu.be/14Rwn4FdVVg
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 21st, 2013, 9:53 am

Some interesting issues (!although some spoilers)

http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/0 ... -be-minor/