DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Man of Steel, Justice League and DC MOVIES

Post by EricJ » July 6th, 2021, 12:39 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 9:37 pm
Also I know he directed The Omen, which I’ve always wanted to see. (He also appeared in Shudder’s documentary series Cursed films, which only came out last year! :(. And he did NOT look 91 at all.)
Still haven't seen The Omen?? :shock: (The first one, anyway, the second one plays like a bad big-budget Final Destinations sequel, and the third is only good for Sam Neill and the Jerry Goldsmith score.)

One of the great examples of big-budget studios trying to do Horror in the 70's, and giving everything a creepy, soft-focus look. And the Second Doctor Who's perpetual note of hysteria throughout the movie gives it the perfect unsettling vibe to offset stalwart Gregory Peck.

I can't believe "Maverick" isn't getting more mentions in the Donner obits, though, usually bad-memory reporting goes for the more recent works

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 6th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Sad to hear the news. A legend has passed.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 6th, 2021, 5:28 pm

One thing we do know, son, and that is he was here for a reason;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 11th, 2021, 2:05 am

Hey gang!

The Suicide Squad is awesome!!!

That is all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2021, 4:48 am

Just included these brief initial thoughts to Rand in an email, so may as well repeat them here:

THE Suicide Squad was quite big fun. Finally a bonkers, over the top WB movie that *knows* that it’s bonkers and over the top, and knows how to deal with that, which is obviously down to Gunn. About halfway, it starts to lose steam, and eventually screeches to a halt (where my on the fence thoughts of "hey, I might get this!" turned to, "oh, well this is disappointing")…but then the absolutely INSANE finale (in which big bad reminded me so much of Fredzilla in Big Hero 6 that I wasn’t sure if it was intentional or not) pulled me back in and, ultimately, I may pick this up when it’s released on disc. Now I need to catch up on the Harley Quinn movie that I never bothered with, but that’ll start to turn up on TV before too long. Anyway, TSS is strange and bizarre and gory and violent and very, er, "language filled", but kind of gloriously celebrates all that at the same time too. I’ve a feeling it’s one of those films that will possibly even grow on me more in time!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 11th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Ben wrote:
August 11th, 2021, 4:48 am
Now I need to catch up on the Harley Quinn movie that I never bothered with,
You don't have to, you're a guy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2021, 2:55 pm

I actually thought Robbie was one of the even more enjoyable things about TSS, and I like McGregor, so I’m up for it, though haven’t heard entirely great things. As such, I’ll wait for the TV showings to start fairly soon…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 11th, 2021, 11:57 pm

EricJ wrote:
August 11th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Ben wrote:
August 11th, 2021, 4:48 am
Now I need to catch up on the Harley Quinn movie that I never bothered with,
You don't have to, you're a guy.
Um, hello? Margot Robbie. :D She's enough reason for this guy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2021, 5:05 am

(And she’s a great actress, too!) ;)

Not that I expect you’ve seen I, Tonya; Bombshell or Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, none of which are ultimately that amazing as movies, but Robbie is amazing in them, and to go from that to what she does as Harley, and how far she pushes that, shows that she’s going to be one of the greats. I’m excited that she’s going to be in Wes Anderson's next (but then it seems, at the moment, who *isn't* going to be in Wes Anderson's next?)!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2021, 11:52 am

Is this Superman meets Spider-Man, or the other way around!?

Who knows, but last night's Graham Norton Show was a very fun superhero mashup!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x861rxy

Also cool to see Cavill in Reeve's Supersuit at around the 15-16 minute mark. I’d not seen that before. He’s right in his comment, but just goes to show how well Reeve managed to fill it out and pull off the look so well!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 23rd, 2022, 7:37 am

Batman gets a higher rating in uk. No kids under 15 can see the film even with a adult so all those kids toys and sheets are for nothing! That is going to hurt batmans uk box office.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 23rd, 2022, 2:18 pm

It's cause there's a headbutt isn't it? It's always the headbutt with the UK censors ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 23rd, 2022, 2:42 pm

British punks believe more in headbutts--Try it in an American fight sometime, you might gain the advantage.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 28th, 2022, 1:46 pm

Deadline likes it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 28th, 2022, 9:37 pm

Everyone seems to like it! It's being called one of the best comic book movies ever in multiple reviews. Okay, now I'm starting to get interested.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/ar ... t-reviews/

The trailers haven't thrilled me, though. I don't like goth Bruce or skinny Batman. And I'm totally over the dark "grim & gritty" approach for the character. (He wasn't THAT dark in the 1940s! Heck, Robin was introduced in 1940!) But I'll watch it at some point, likely soon after the disc comes out.

I do like the "city of villains" approach, inspired by works like The Long Halloween. Having two or three supervillains "team up" is usually a recipe for a bad film; but having a full cast of villains with competing agendas can work and be quite interesting.

And I like hearing that it feels like DC's Batman. Not a "Nolan Batman" or a "Burton Batman" or a "Snyder Batman." Rather, a Batman borne of the comics, not owing to a director's own vision. Yes, I know this will be Reeve's vision, but it sounds like he's allowed the comic book version to shine through more than prior takes. It's a real detective/mystery story, so we're getting the "dark knight detective" version we've been waiting for. I do feel I've yet to see an authentic Batman on screen, with the possible exception of (yes, I'm saying it!) Adam West.