DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2006, 6:10 pm

Okay...

Um, so Perry White is all wrong, it's more camp than I thought it was going to be ("It's a bird, no it's plane" - what is with that s***), and what IS with Jimmy Olsen? Well, I can guess but I don't wanna say out loud...

Plus everyone looks too young, Spacey doesn't get his character's center right, and the flying looks worse than 1978 (and how can THAT be?)!

What a poor, poor trailer. To think that this is one of the year's big movies from perhaps the biggest Hollywood studio out there, and this is what we get?

Oh dear...big time :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 3rd, 2006, 8:56 pm

I didn't watch it yet, but this doesn't sound very promising. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 7th, 2006, 10:15 pm

O.K. I saw it...yeah it's kinda sucky. :(

I'm willing to give it a chance though. Spacey's so cool. Even if he does ham it up too much. (well...way too much.)

And Jimmy Olsen...never thought I could dislike anyone more than Justin Whalin (the 2nd Jimmy on Lois and Clark) but.... yeesh/:roll:

The only thing I really like is Superman, he definetely has presence. (though nowhere near Chris Reeve...not even close.) And the music...I don't know if it's just for the trailer, but I REALLY like it. Oh my G-d I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything John Ottman does.

(He also did X1, X2, and The Usual Suspects.)

I also like the lush production design, the browns/tans of the Daily Planet mixed with the blue skies and Superman's costume, the stark white of the North Pole.

I don't hate Lois having a kid, but Lois Lane....uuuh. Just no. Too young, too frail-looking, like a skinny teenage model. I can see her playing Lana Lang maybe but Lois? Nah. Seems about as much like a journalist as Katie Holmes seemed like a district attorney. :roll:

And you're right about Perry White. He seems more like he's running satirical cartoons with New Yorker than breaking news with the Daily Planet. :roll: (Where's J.K. Simmons when you need him?)

Plus is it me or does everything seem REALLY DARK?? As in not enough light? Even when they're in the Planet? Not good.
and the flying looks worse than 1978 (and how can THAT be?)!
Hmmm....maybe they were taking a page from the George Reeves show?? :roll: :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 8th, 2006, 7:03 am

All the things you say you liked were cribbed from the 1978 movie, especially the music, all by John Williams (no new Ottman here in this trailer).

Just. Looks. Poor. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Maybe Tim Burton would have been a better choice after all.... :(

Spacey...he really does ham it up. Oh boy.... :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2006, 5:54 pm

I know...roll on December when I can see a brand "new" Christopher Reeve Superman movie: the Donner Cut of part II.

This "Returns" has sunk to a "fairly interested" for me instead of the "OMG! OMG!" it was until a month ago... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Oh wow...you guys HAVE to read this. :lol:

It's the whole Sordid Tale of how "Superman V" never came to be....(it stops at 2004.)

For example, at one point Ashton Kutcher was seriously considered to play Supes. :shock:

And then....Justin Timberlake! (not kidding.)

http://www.agonybooth.com/forum/topic2730.htm

(warning: some rough language from the posters on the bottom.)

I just had to post this....it's like the funniest part. (and not even the craziest.)

Re: In-fighting of WB executive Jon Peters (one of the producers of Batman) and Kevin Smith (original screenwriter for Superman and contributing screenwriter for Spidey 2.)
Peters also hated the FX in the 1978 Superman film with Chris Reeve, so he wanted to get rid of Superman’s ability to fly. So Smith tried to get around this by portraying Superman as a red blur while in flight, creating a sonic boom every time he took off (he took this from The Dark Knight Returns). Peters then told Smith to have Brainiac fight polar bears at the Fortress of Solitude, demanding that the film be wall-to-wall action. Smith thought it was a stupid idea, so Peters said, "Then have Brainiac fight Superman’s bodyguards!" Smith responded, "Why the hell would Superman need bodyguards?" Peters wouldn’t let up, so Smith caved in and had Brainiac fight the polar bears. Then Peters demanded that Brainiac give Luthor a hostile space dog as a gift, arguing that the movie needed a cuddly Chewbacca character that could be turned into a toy. Then, after watching Chasing Amy, Peters liked the gay black character in the film so much that he ordered Smith to make Brainiac’s robot servant L-Ron gay, asserting that the film needed a gay R2-D2 with attitude. Then Peters demanded that Superman fight a huge spider at the end of the film, which Smith refused to do—he used a "Thanagarian Snare Beast" instead. (However, Peters did manage to recycle his spider idea and use it in Wild Wild West.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 9th, 2006, 7:57 pm

I love Superman Lives' connection to Wild, Wild West. As a person wrote in the page's message board, that behind-the-scenes story deserves its own movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Yeah....why not call it: "The Producers"???

:wink:

EDIT: Oh, and I couldn't stop laughing when I read about the Polar Bears idea. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2006, 12:08 pm

You guys should check out the Kevin Smith DVD... I think the Superman and Tim Burton parts are up on You Tube if you do a search...very funny stuff!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2006, 2:20 pm

This isn't really that important but you can now get the Superman Returns movie trading cards. I got a pack yesterday at Wal-Mart. (8 cards)
Well, they have spoilers of course. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2006, 2:37 pm

When I read about Tim Burton's role in the whole Supes mess...it kinda shocked me how unsupportive he was of Cage....(he wanted to fire him) as well as his nutty ideas about the film....but I wasn't THAT surprised.

Even though I really like Burton's films you have to admit that he took some very unorthodox measures with Batman and even more so Batman Returns. In Batman 1 you have Bats behaving very violently, even killing people. (henchmen and of course the Joker). Then of course there's the whole "Joker killed Bruce's parents" thing, oh and of course the Kung-Fu guys, (looked like reject Foot soldiers from Ninja Turtles) the "check his wallet" line, Arliss's appearance (ugh!) etc, etc....

But Burton outdid himself with Batman Returns. O.K....Selena Kyle became Catwoman because her corrupt boss (Max Shreck, who I don't think was ever in the comic) pushed her out a window and she was resusitated by alley cats, and instead of pursuing her own agendas she's aggressively hitting on Batman like a wh**re and then kicking his a** every time they meet with no rhyme or reason as to why exactly. Oh yeah and Penguin isn't a debonair criminal dandy but a deformed, dirty, sex-obsessed freak who chomps on raw fish and plots to run for Mayor, frame Batman, and then later on kill babies. Oh and to get around he rides on a giant rubber duck in the sewers, along with his army of clown freaks and loyal Penguin soldiers. (wonder if this inspired Madagascar?) Even though I really liked this film, liked it a lot, (I'm just looking at this perspective-wise) it's not hard for me to believe the crazy things Burton wanted to do to Superman (no powers, just super-gadgets, a futuristic suit that shows his internal organs, teleporting instead of flying) in lieu of what he was allowed to do to Batman..... :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 10th, 2006, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 10th, 2006, 2:50 pm

no powers, just super-gadgets, a futuristic suit that shows his internal organs, teleporting instead of flying
WTF.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2006, 2:55 pm

I'm NOT making this up....check the link and prepare to be shocked..... :twisted:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2006, 4:09 pm

...and amused! :)