DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel, Justice League and DC MOVIES

Post by Randall » March 16th, 2021, 8:58 pm

RT score is.... 78% after 120 reviews!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/zack_s ... ice_league

Many of those reviews may be lukewarm, but a positive review is a positive review according to the Tomatometer. ;)

Regardless, it's Snyder's best-reviewed film of his DC trilogy. By far.

Well, good for him. I'm glad he got his chance.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 17th, 2021, 2:46 am

When do we get to start to shout conspiracies that Warner and HBOMax paid the reviewers to be nice and positive? I feel it's only fair since Marvel is often accused of bribing people to say nice things while bagging out a DC movie to get a Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 17th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Yes, but they're usually accused BY disgruntled Warner/DC fans. :lol:

One YouTuber with law experience was bringing up whether to have Warner and Disney offer premium exclusivity to WW84 and Mulan violated the anti-trust ruling against studios owning their own first-run theaters, but...oh, wait, that's right, it was repealed, last August.
Specifically because the judge ruled that it would help studios during the closed-theaters pandemic, as part of our Brand New World of Streaming First-Runs. (Yes, remember the days of "B-but, Trolls! And Invisible Man!"?)

Okay, you were saying..."Studio bribery?" :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 17th, 2021, 10:05 pm

My favourite review so far:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/zack ... eview-2021

A superhero film for Scorcese?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 17th, 2021, 10:10 pm

Or even Scorsese!

Empire magazine was also praiseworthy! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 18th, 2021, 12:40 am

Him too. Surely you knew that I was referring to Artie Scorcece, right? The indie filmmaker from Nebraska?

No?

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 18th, 2021, 1:27 am

The article as increased by anitpication of checking out the film (i've set to record the premiere in Australia in 90 minutes so I can watch at my leisure). But then the article says this:

"Zack Snyder's Justice League" is so fragmented that it could've been titled "32 Short Films about the Justice League."

And also mentions that plot is about 10th on the list. As much as I love watching art like the next movie coneissuer for a 4 hour movie I would like a coherent plot that flows to engage me over those 4 hours and not just 'look pretty and cool'

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2021, 6:19 am

Highlights from my BvS recap from the other night:
Ben wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 6:03 am
BvS was on last night, and I ended up catching the last five hours of it. ;)

The theatrical cut is such a mess where nothing happens apart from plot point three getting to plot point four, and so on. It’s just a bunch of scenes that, actually, don’t make sense as they’re all too short. No wonder I didn’t like it when it came out!

Although neither is a "good" film, at least the Director Cut isn’t so choppy and workman-like in just plodding through the plot points. In the theatrical, some scenes are just one line of dialogue each between one or two characters. Nothing progresses and then suddenly Wayne randomly starts looking at the League members. Very poor.

The DC doesn’t fix everything, if anything, but at least it’s more of a movie, more of a full experience, for this particular story.
I’m pretty much expecting the exact same thing with Justice League: apparently a surprising amount of footage from the Whedon Cut is still in this version, but hopefully it’s roughly going to be three hours' worth of "new" footage that leans more toward the BvS DC than that film's theatrical cut.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 18th, 2021, 1:00 pm

Sounds like there was a broadcast issue for the UK and they aired The Family Stone instead.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Yeah, these two films are always getting mixed up. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 18th, 2021, 3:27 pm

I can see why, both are about dysfunctional families... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2021, 5:48 pm

You know, I almost made that joke. Works better mixing it up with Avengers though... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 19th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Justice Is Gray edition coming down the road. No real surprise...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Okay, that just starts to seem a little dumb and desperate to me. At least give us a properly framed widescreen version if you’re going to go the square ratio b/w route anyway! The clips I’ve been seeing on TV today make this epic four hour "event" look totally like a small screen show from the pre-16:9 90s. Grrr...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 19th, 2021, 5:41 pm

Daniel wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Justice Is Gray edition coming down the road. No real surprise...
Look call me technologically dumb, but why would I need to buy the gray edition, if I can just adjust my TV to be 'black and white' And honestly the bits I've seen so far of the current edition when I've flipped through to the channel (plan towatch it in full thisweekend) there really isn't that much colour at the moment haha
Ben wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 4:07 pm
Okay, that just starts to seem a little dumb and desperate to me. At least give us a properly framed widescreen version if you’re going to go the square ratio b/w route anyway! The clips I’ve been seeing on TV today make this epic four hour "event" look totally like a small screen show from the pre-16:9 90s. Grrr...
I agree, the clips I saw on my TV made it feel like I was watching a movie from the 80s. But I guess sometimes art has to art for art sake.