AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel (2013)

Post by Randall » June 4th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Oh, please let it be true. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Also out there: some major hints that Superman could turn up in the Nolanverse, which I think is very much more advanced than they are letting us know.

For instance, there's no reason Man Of Steel can't be taking place after the Dark Knight Trilogy. I never got how everyone said they couldn't work side by side: well, they can't (because each would know about the other's existence)...but why can't the Dark Knight have happened, and *then* this flying alien lands on Earth?

Snyder has suggested that they do another Superman before a Justice League movie. He's been teasing a link to Lex Luthor to suggest where that could go, and also a link to the Batman films, so Man Of Steel definitely takes place in Nolan's world.

I think she should go with the chronology of the Dark Knight Trilogy, then Man Of Steel, the introduction to another JL hero (Wonder Woman?), a Batman/Superman movie (which gets them together and has them instigating the JL by its end), another Man Of Steel, perhaps another hero intro and then the JL movie. Would be pretty cool and everything could fit together without any one property canceling the others out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 8th, 2013, 5:34 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 9th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Ben wrote:Also out there: some major hints that Superman could turn up in the Nolanverse, which I think is very much more advanced than they are letting us know.
For instance, there's no reason Man Of Steel can't be taking place after the Dark Knight Trilogy. I never got how everyone said they couldn't work side by side: well, they can't (because each would know about the other's existence)...but why can't the Dark Knight have happened, and *then* this flying alien lands on Earth? .
Because Nolan's hyper-realistic "Gotham City a la Scorsese" universe doesn't have ROOM for flying aliens with bulletproof bodies, who can suddenly go from a still hovering position to supersonic flight with no momentum.

That was one of my complaints with TDK to begin with--Nolan doesn't particularly like superhero fantasy, and while he could add just enough comic-book suspension-of-disbelief to explain away all of Batman's near-real-world technology in Batman Begins, he doesn't like to stray too far away from anything that could be explained in psychological gangster drama.
He's not the one directing MOS, remember, regardless of how much Warner puts his name in the ads--I'm convinced he's starting to regret his one decision to help out an ailing Warner franchise with his flavor-of-the-week psych-thriller touch, and now he's trying to get OUT of it, despite the Warner and the fans pushing him back in saying "Save us!" So, no, I'm not waiting for that Nolan Flash or Wonder Woman movie, either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 10th, 2013, 11:25 am

First full review (finally!)

*some spoilers*

http://mobile.thewrap.com/thewrap/pm_10 ... d=SuihFbrC

EDIT: OMG, i'm so sorry, they deleted it for some reason. Ugh. :roll:

The review's main points:

1?) MoS may not "soar", but it does "fly".

2.) Amy Adams doesn't so much play a "girl reporter" than a journalist who happens to be a woman.

3.) Zod comes off pretty well if not perfect.

4.) Cavill definitely fits the role.

5.) Plenty of action.

6.) Audiences will be pleased.

7.) Darker than previous versions.

8.) *mild spoiler*
Controversial plot point on par with Spider-Man's "organic" webs.

9.) *spoiler*
Major plot twist which will be VERY controversial. (They didn't specify.)

That's basically the upshot of the review. Hope this helps a little.

For those hoping for a major hit, remember this is just ONE review. ;)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 11th, 2013, 10:23 am

Full review from The Guardian:

http://m.guardiannews.com/film/2013/jun ... eel-review

So far mainly positive reviews, and 72% fresh on RT.

http://m.guardiannews.com/film/2013/jun ... ritics-say

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 11th, 2013, 10:35 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 11th, 2013, 8:54 pm

I choose to believe IGN's and Moriarty's reviews. :) I'm getting excited for this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2013, 2:05 pm

I read the Hollywood Reporter a few days back, and it got me excited. I'll have to read some more but I also want to come in fresh-ish.

A sequel is, perhaps unsurprisingly, already in the works:
http://m.guardiannews.com/film/2013/jun ... production

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 13th, 2013, 7:19 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 13th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Nah, kinda a silly article, re-playing the same old tunes. Even those interviewed in the article seem annoyed by the questions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 14th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Just saw it, enjoyed it very much, even if it didn't quite live up to all my expectations. Action sequences very exciting (if a few too many) and Russell Crowe's performance was actually quite good. As for Cavill, he was excellent.
You really, really believe that it's Superman up there on that screen. The film had edge but also wonder, wisdom, innocence and best of all--hope. :)

(BTW, on a slightly unrelated topic, there was a RIDICULOUS amount of previews before the movie even started. Everyone was like: "When is it finally going to start?" Ugh. :roll: )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 14th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Action was easily the biggest strength of the film, along with Henry Cavill. Crowe is actually much better than I thought he'd be.

I honestly could've done with even more fights. What we got was FANTASTIC, but I wanted still more. People are saying this has more action than The Avengers. Don't believe those people, because that is simply not true (although, again, what we do get is HOLY-FREAKING MIND-BLOWING!).

My main quibble is that the army was in the movie WAY too much. Superman doesn't need the military to have his back, because he's freaking Superman! It's just like the Transformers movies where the Autobots bring human soliders along even though they have no use for them. It's silly.

Other than that, no real complaints, apart from maybe some pacing issues in the first half. Overall, I loved it, left the the theater feeling very pumped, and can't wait to watch it again.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 15th, 2013, 6:54 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 15th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Nice! Looks like I'll see it on Monday.