DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Man of Steel (2013)

Post by EricJ » July 21st, 2013, 5:13 pm

Randall wrote:This quick jump to Supes-Bats seems unfortunate. I would have liked at least one more solo Supes outing to establish the status quo only glimpsed at the end of MOS. Have they no idea of how to proceed without rushing towards Justice League? Kinda sad.
Think Justice League is now off the table again, as there's no chance that Green Lantern is EVER going to come back, Wonder Woman is mired in too many failed projects, and the Flash is still three years away.
So Warner will do what Warner does: Circle the wagons, and keep the marketing on the Snyder/Nolan fan fetish.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 22nd, 2013, 3:10 am

I wouldn't totally rule out Justice League not being thought about. You can't tell me that DC and Warner's don't want a slice of pie from the Avengers. Perhaps Justice League is just what Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Flash need. If done well, I could almost see a JL movie being a launching pad for all the 'second rate' heroes whose names aren't Super or Bat.

My problem with a JL movie in the current climate is that it would have to be serious and real to fit into the current world set up by The Dark Knight and Man Of Steel. And that just doesn't work. Personally, I find the Marvel movies much more accessible and enjoyable because they embrace the outlandish, they aren't ashamed of their origins. While The Dark Knight, especially, wants to present the comic world as being able to actually exist. Totally forgetting we are talking about a bloody grown man wearing a bat suit. I just can't see how a man in a bat suit, an alien, a woman who flies an invisible plane, a man who uses a magical ring and a dude who runs really really fast can be presented as 'real'.

In order for a JL movie to work, Batman and Superman needed to be in movies than were more akin to the Green Lantern movie, perhaps not in execution but the general tone. If that makes any sense.

P.S. If I can remember the whole Batman vs Superman movie proposal, it can't be that long forgotten. It even appears in I Am Legend doesn't it? Or some other sci-fi movie of the future as a billboard ad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 22nd, 2013, 7:30 am

Bill1978 wrote:My problem with a JL movie in the current climate is that it would have to be serious and real to fit into the current world set up by The Dark Knight and Man Of Steel. And that just doesn't work. Personally, I find the Marvel movies much more accessible and enjoyable because they embrace the outlandish, they aren't ashamed of their origins. While The Dark Knight, especially, wants to present the comic world as being able to actually exist. Totally forgetting we are talking about a bloody grown man wearing a bat suit. I just can't see how a man in a bat suit, an alien, a woman who flies an invisible plane, a man who uses a magical ring and a dude who runs really really fast can be presented as 'real'.
You forgot the Martian who can shape-change and pass through walls (assuming they're sticking to CN canon, which they keep standard for marketing purposes).
And the woman doesn't fly an invisible plane anymore, she's now retconned to do her OWN flying, that's much more realistic. (It's now part of the holy Olympian powers of the suit, and the eagle on her chest isn't the American eagle, now it's Zeus's eagle.)

Warner, like Disney with Pirates, is so awestruck with their ability to pied-piper audiences to a movie by uttering a holy name, they've lost sight that Chris Nolan after Batman Begins was just about one of the rottenest things to happen to the franchise, and just doesn't really seem to personally care about it that much.
Disney found out what happens when you try to give too many things to Gore Verbinski, and Warner's about to find out the perils of giving too many things to the Inception/Dark Knight guy.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am

:?

Yeah....none of the above made sense there....
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 23rd, 2013, 8:11 am

Well...ignoring that, it's semi-official: the Man Of Steel sequel won't be a Man Of Steel sequel at all: the word going around is that it will likely be called Superman Vs. Batman (or the other way around), as per the mocked up promo poster seen in I Am Legend (yes, it was that film).

So...my heart sinks a little. I wouldn't have minded this as a third Superman outing, or even as its own thing, but to mesh these together so quick feels like Supes hasn't even really had his own movie yet...and after MOS, how can Batman oppose him anyway? Sure, Superman might not kill him outright, but he can break his back with a snap of hid finger: if MOS failed on one great point it was in making Superman literally invulnerable (unless Bats works out how to use Kryptonite against him, which would be a bit of a cop out).

And they say this and further JL spin-offs are meant to be in our "real world"...? Yeah, that's going to work out, isn't it? I never really once felt MOS was taking place in our "real" world, and maybe not even in the Dark Knight's hyper version of it either. Mostly, I'm just peeved that Superman - even with MOS - doesn't seem to now have his own movie series... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 23rd, 2013, 8:59 am

Dacey wrote::?
Yeah....none of the above made sense there....
(Uh, we were both talking about how Chris Nolan doesn't really want to touch any of the fantasy/alien aspects of the Justice League unless he can keep them in the "real world", which would be a bit of a problem, as there is unfortunately a very colorful LOT of unreality in it, and that's going to come as a big fat shock to Warner when they want him to save the entire franchise on his name alone?
Hence the joke about the problems that resulted when Disney thought the Magic Looney Pirates Guy could do a western. Uh, here's where you might want to get off the cult-of-personality marquee-value name thing and start delegating.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 23rd, 2013, 5:04 pm

Except that the "Magic Looney Pirates Guy" actually made a western. It was called Rango, and it happened to win an Oscar, so...

Look for the release date to be pushed back. Summer 2015 is already looking VERY crowded, and they haven't even cast Bats yet, which is probably going to be a lengthy process.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 24th, 2013, 4:36 am

I admit I'm not a comic reader so have no idea about the actual comic storries out there on this topic, but I don't understand the whole concept of pitting Batman against Superman. It implies that at least one is evil. If they are going to put those two together, I would prefer it was as a crime fighting du, not battling it out against one another.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 24th, 2013, 6:30 am

I believe it's about trust, Bill. One does not trust the other because he's an alien, the other doesn't trust a guy who dresses up as a bat to fight crime. Once they see that both are okay dudes they team up, usually to go up against Lex Luthor and The Joker, who have also teamed up. Not saying that's what will happen here, but they won't be enemies for too long...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 24th, 2013, 6:33 am

Ah well that makes sense, especially in light of watching the first couple of episodes of a Justice League series I got for my godson. It really does amaze me that there hasn't been a live action Justice League movie, cause honestly before all the Marvel movies, Justice League had bigger and more recognisable names than The Avengers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 30th, 2013, 8:38 am

Ilya Salkind hated MoS, apparently:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.s ... steel.html
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 30th, 2013, 8:49 am

On a totally random note: technically, Supes made an appearance in Batman and Robin: "This is why Superman work s alone!" LOL. :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 14th, 2013, 8:52 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 20th, 2013, 12:19 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 20th, 2013, 8:01 pm

I still can't believe that the collector's edition only has an "S" in a stand to justify its existence. Lame- o.

At least they changed the covers from the awful temp one they had for a while. But I'll wait to see if I can get a Steelbook version.