DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Superman Returns... again!

Post by ShyViolet » December 8th, 2011, 6:37 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 23rd, 2011, 1:34 pm

First trailer to debut this June! :)

http://www.supermansupersite.com/1223210.html
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 23rd, 2011, 3:32 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up waiting until July to actually put a teaser out. They KNOW that Batman is going to be huge, so it would be fitting to start promoting Superman at that film.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 23rd, 2012, 3:31 pm

Pretty good look at the costume here:

http://io9.com/5878513/new-set-pic-from ... super+suit
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 30th, 2012, 2:18 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » March 30th, 2012, 4:34 pm

I kind of like it. Looks dark and gritty.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 30th, 2012, 10:51 pm

I can't believe you just said that...

"Dark and gritty?" You really don't get the point of the character, do you?

Superman is NOT supposed to be the Kryptonian Dark Knight!
The character has a lot of allusions to Moses and Jesus and those are not coincidental... the character was meant to inspire people, not terrify them to death (like Batman).

Every time I see a costume like this or hear a director talk about darkening things up, then I know they never read a comic (and many cases a book).

The problem has never been Superman's ethos -- as long as writers remember the basic rules (no ambitions of godhood or becoming Earth's emperor, doesn't kill, doesn't endanger civilians, and restrains use of power), things are okay. When they monkey around with things like the confidence the character is supposed to have and do meandering storylines where he "walks across the US" or moans about "how unfair life is" that just completely misses the point (again). Superman is not Mopey-man or Emo-dude. Likewise, adding or changing the origin story is not necessary but DC has revamped it at least 5 times in the last 16 years!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » March 30th, 2012, 11:08 pm

'I kind of like it' and 'Looks dark and gritty' were unrelated. I never said I liked the dark direction at all. That was merely an observation. Spiderman and Batman benefit (IMO) from the dark and gritty direction, Superman does not. This simple logo does not confirm the new Superman will be dark, though. But, considering the promotional pic of the New superman costume they released, there isn't much hope.

I like it because it's a nicely designed logo (Once again, IMO).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2012, 9:50 am

Might I suggest that this is not "just" a banner. The dimensions scream of it being an early frame leaked from a potential teaser that will probably hit with the next Batman, or even sooner on the web...

Can't say I love the "World Of Sport"/dragon type swoosh thing going on in the S, bit it's s**tloads better than anything associated with the evil Singer film and has - dark and gritty or not - a very nice, somewhat classic feel to it.

And I like that they still kept the Donner title font for the Man Of Steel title. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 31st, 2012, 10:05 am

I'm okay with the logo, but agree that I don't need the movie "dark and gritty". We're a ways away from seeing the final product, but you've gotta hope it's better than the atrocious Superman Returns. (A favourite memory of going to Comic-Con 2008 was sitting with Ben one night at our hotel complex, tearing apart that abomination!) I sure hope Zach has a clue about how to handle our favorite hero.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 21st, 2012, 12:56 pm

Trailer online!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/man-of-steel/

Not much to see, but it still gave me huge chills in the theater. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 22nd, 2012, 2:57 am

Tempted to look, but I have to wait for the theatre!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 22nd, 2012, 8:41 am

I shall admit that the trailer confuses me (for those wanting to see the trailer themselves).
Is Smallville now an ocean town? Is Clark Kent a fisherman? Does growing a beard mean you don't have to wear glasses to hide your secret identity?
Initial impressions, is that this is going to try and present Superman as realistic like the Nolan trilogy did for Batman, as opposed to presenting it with a little dash of the that wouldn't happen in real life. Of course I am happy to be proven wrong after seeing it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 22nd, 2012, 12:12 pm

There are actually two versions of this trailer. One narrated by Kevin Costner (the one linked to above), and one narrated by Russell Crowe (which I think is the one I saw in theaters, now that I see it again). Personally I prefer the one narrated by Crowe, for whatever reason. It just feels more epic somehow.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92812

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 22nd, 2012, 2:12 pm

Bill1978 wrote:
Is Smallville now an ocean town? Is Clark Kent a fisherman? Does growing a beard mean you don't have to wear glasses to hide your secret identity?
I assumed the first people to see The Blur (like in the last shots) are fisherman at sea, but the trailer tries to blend the growing up, the first appearance, and Clark Hitchhiking North highlights to such a jumble of isolated "inspiring" Chevy-commercial images, I started to wonder whether Smallville was an ocean town near Vancouver, too.
And while Superman Returns was too busy trying to live down Richard Pryor and Golan/Globus by being "serious" and "reverent" to the original Richard Donner movie--to the point of becoming solid lead--feels like Snyder is also trying to be "reverent", but in a completely different direction away from Returns. Feels like he'll reach the same goal, though.
FMM, superhero movies were never more reverent than the first half hour of Richard Donner's film, and that was by admitting that we grew up with the print comics.