DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Man of Steel, Justice League and DC MOVIES

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2021, 2:11 pm

On the DC ranking, it does hurt that Superman IV is first, but I can hardly defend it either. At least it tried, unlike Catwoman that was just completely campy and did, at times, remind me of WW84 in the cringey moments.

Indeed, it kind of says something that WW84 made this list at all, as it’s pretty fair coverage all in all, though I’m still surprised to see a handful of titles on there: Watchmen, really? Man Of Steel? Joker!? I mean, I wasn’t a massive fan of some of these, but I didn’t think they were "bad" movies.

Likewise, this is compiled of reviews from the time, presumably, which also says a lot, since S4 would be seen as pretty back coming so early in the superhero cycle as it did. We didn’t know worst was still to come: I’d rather watch the ambition and studio-mandated disaster of S4 and enjoy the entertainment it does have over the likes of Birds Of Prey, Constantine, Suicide Squad and Jonah Hex, easily, anyday!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 10th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Well, that list doesn't really mean that they're all BAD, but they are the worst-reviewed. After all, a ton of superhero films have come out, and some of them had to be reviewed worse than others. Maybe it shows that, overall, they've really been pretty decent.

I think I'd place Catwoman as the worst, myself. Aside from being plain bad, it didn't even have the character from the comics!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 10th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Randall wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 11:27 am
And, well, Superman IV was pretty terrible.
Superman IV was Golan/Globus losing its shirt trying to buy something that was for sale, a notoriously bad habit of Menahem Golan's.
(Qv. "Electric Boogaloo: the Wild Untold Story of Cannon Pictures" documentary, if you haven't watched this solid-coolness already. 8) )

And I'm guessing the only reason Shaq O'Neill as "Steel" is missing from the list was that it was so far REMOVED from all possible DC canon, they assume it doesn't even count as "A DC movie".
Same with Melissa McCarthy in "The Kitchen", unless Vertigo graphic novels don't count either.

But yeah, Supergirl (which was pieced together out of kitchen scraps cut out of an early good story for Superman 3) is a puzzler for not showing up.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2021, 7:28 pm

Story aside, Superman IV was in good shape, with a lot of good craft talent on board, until the film went into post and the cash-strapped Cannon slashed the 2nd Unit effects budget to practically zero and the film went from a lavish $40m+ budget to less or around $25m...more than half as much as Roger Rabbit, to pick a comparative big-budget film in production at the same time.

As is said in that excellently entertaining doc, Golan-Globus weren’t called "the Bad News Jews" for nothing! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 18th, 2021, 3:11 pm

The miniseries format for the Snyder Cut has been scrapped, will now be released as a single four hour movie. Likely since free trials are no more.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Well, good. I’m glad they came to their senses. Always thought that series idea was a curveball. Still think the best way would have been a two-part film, as was originally planned. Hopefully there’ll at least be an obvious intermission point, as four hours plus is too much to sit through in one go!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 18th, 2021, 10:04 pm

I had figured that each of the four parts would get an opening and credits, leaving this to be maybe 3.5 hours at most. But the article claims it will be 4 hours pre-credits? I am skeptical, but we shall see.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 30th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Couple of teaser posters:

Eh...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 30th, 2021, 4:10 pm

Geez, apocalyptic enough? I hope the film's more fun than the posters. (And, the second one totally rips of the Death of Superman DVD cover.)

Looks like the film will be on Crave in Canada, in March. But I'll wait for the Blu-ray.

Still really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 2nd, 2021, 2:03 pm

First look at Jared Leto's Joker:

Reminds me of Jigsaw.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2021, 4:43 pm

Do you want to play a joke...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 2nd, 2021, 7:54 pm

Oh yes. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 3rd, 2021, 2:28 am

Is it wrong that I cannot wait for this to be released so it can go away (after the initial burst of discussion). Kinda like how we have all stopped talking about End Game except for the die hards who are still arguing about the merits of Steve's happy ending.

BTW I loved End Game and am not implying that End Game and this thing will be on equal standing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 3rd, 2021, 1:28 pm

Officially rated R. That means it must be the kewlest thing evah! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 3rd, 2021, 1:32 pm

And daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark................ :lol: