Strange Magic

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Strange Magic

Post by EricJ » February 4th, 2015, 4:25 pm

Ben wrote:I know! There's something wrong with that, isn't there? ;)
If it was anyone else, we'd pass it off as a failed hadn't-seen-Epic mistake and ignore it--
But even if he didn't work on it personally, the Lucas name just awakens some primal urge to watch it just to see how bizarre, misconceived and audience-proof it'll be. Especially for the Willow survivors.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 4th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Ah, Willow...

Yep, must see Strange Magic!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 5th, 2015, 9:00 am

Actually, for me, it's more about discovering the integration of the songs and how well or not that has been done, as well as seeing ILM's animation. Even without Lucas' name on the poster, those two things would be enough for me to be interested.

The other factor is how bad James' review is...I'm always up for a train-wreck...!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 5th, 2015, 10:58 am

Looking back at that piece after reading these comments, I notice I completely left out a paragraph from my notes about the plot... and it didn't matter!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 20th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Ouch!

Strange Magic has just been announced for DVD and Digital releases on May 19.

Read that again...DVD and Digital. I've contacted Disney for clarification but it does seem no Blu-ray is being planned...! I do expect the title will see a BD internationally, just as Disney still releases their 3D titles in the UK, for instance, but this is pretty ignominious treatment, whatever the film!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 20th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Well, that's a whole lot of a suckage. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 20th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Yep...I wonder if a BD might be a store exclusive for a while, if not permanently until stocks run dry. Fox has done that every now and then.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 21st, 2015, 2:01 am

I'd bet on the exclusive thing. Hard to see Dis never putting out a BD of a film, in this day and age. Possible, but wow... quite a slap if there's no Blu forthcoming at all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2015, 5:32 am

Well, the only thing is that usually they do mention a store exclusive. Not always, but usually. After a second email to Disney, who admitted they'd been taking many questions about this issue, the still wasn't any info forthcoming about anything exclusive.

It might still happen,my it my money would be on an international release for anyone who wanted to get this on Blu-ray. It'll probably be an all-region disc anyway, as most of Disney's are.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 12th, 2016, 2:25 pm

While doing the reader poll of 2015 movies I noticed that Disney didn't submit Strange Magic for consideration in the Animated Feature category. I thought there was a sort of "gentleman's agreement" among the studios that they would submit all animated movies in order to ensure the category met the threshold to get five nominees. I know it did end up reaching it, but Disney couldn't have been completely sure. I guess it wasn't even worth the money of putting the Oscar submission package together!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 12th, 2016, 2:43 pm

I was looking at the poll and thinking "Wait, one of them is missing, isn't it?" Guess this was the one (although I see it's been added since then).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 12th, 2016, 3:34 pm

I noticed it right after I set it to go live and got it updated before many people had voted. I doubt it will effect the outcome!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 12th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Managed to sit down and watch this film the other day. Man... talk about wasted talent and potential. I can only imagine there was some sort of written clause that required them to have licensed music running at all times because it was ridiculous to jump from one known pop song to the next with maybe thirty seconds of quiet in-between.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 12th, 2016, 4:11 pm

You see, I keep thinking I might like this, just because it sounds so "oddball" that I could enjoy it. But I still haven't actually seen it, obviously.

I'm far more excited about catching Norm on disc so I can rip it apart appropriately. ;) (Plus I have three full sized posters for the movie! Three!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 12th, 2016, 4:45 pm

I keep forgetting about the existence of this movie, and when I do remember it I'm nowhere near a place to look for it and end up forgetting it again. Although at least my brain remembers it as being a film from 2015, I've seen Home and totally forgot about it's existence until I voted in the poll.