Indiana Jones And The New Disney Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Indiana Jones And The New Disney Movies Thread

Post by Daniel » July 15th, 2022, 2:58 pm

In a recent podcast covering his career, screenwriter David Koepp - who scribed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - confirms he knew before the viewers said anything that aliens were a bad inclusion:
I was never happy with the idea (of including alien-like creatures). I tried to convince (Steven Spielberg and George Lucas) to change it - I had this other idea. They didn't want to change it.

I'm not saying (my idea) would've been better. (I just want it to be) this misty, ethereal thing that's probably brilliant.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 15th, 2022, 6:06 pm

To be fair, it Spielberg was also against aliens. It was Lucas who insisted, thought at least they were "reduced" to "inter-dimensional beings". Steve has admitted he was just going along with what his pal George wanted to do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 3rd, 2022, 3:24 pm

John Williams debuted Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character name (Helena) and her theme at the Hollywood Bowl:

Absolutely beautiful. Some strong similarities to Marion's theme in there, and the whole piece legitimately echoes some of John's more romantic scoring from the late 70s/early 80s. Has a old Hollywood feel to it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 3rd, 2022, 7:32 pm

Not only sounds like something *from* his golden period between'75-'85, but like it is actually *in* something of that time. Lots of ET feeling in there, too, and the closest to pure, classic Williams that we have heard since maybe parts of AI twenty years ago. Just perfect. I hope and pray the movie lives up to it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 10th, 2022, 2:02 pm

Costumes and concept art on display at D23:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2022, 8:10 pm

It’s getting a little silly that Indy, whenever he falls into action, chooses to wear the same old clothes. I mean, does he intentionally go to the closet and get the same old shirt and slacks out? Did he buy a job lot on sale of this stuff so he knew he’d be okay for the same clothes for the rest of his life!? It’s not a uniform! In the original three he wears all manner of clothes, kind of resorting to the signature look because they get ripped or that’s all he has, but in the last two films it’s presented like "this is Indiana Jones in his Indiana Jones costume".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 11th, 2022, 12:16 am

Harrison Ford and Ke Huy Quan reunite at D23:

Probably the happiest and most comfortable I’ve seen Harrison.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 11th, 2022, 3:14 am

Wow, beautiful pic! Thanks for posting, Dan. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 11th, 2022, 7:19 pm

Daniel wrote:
September 11th, 2022, 12:16 am
Probably the happiest and most comfortable I’ve seen Harrison.
You call him Dr Jones, doll…!

That’s awesome. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 14th, 2022, 3:56 pm

Description of the D23 teaser:
It begins with the sun glowing over a desert city, then cuts to a rickshaw chase through the street. Audiences see Indy walking across a bridge like the one in the first look photo, then running across the top of a train at night, chasing a plane on a motorcycle, riding a horse, and more. It was very fast paced, but among the images we saw carts racing in the street, divers going under the water, and a skeleton popping out. Indy is still teaching, and he walks around in a very busy closet. The trailer is filled with shots of Jones walking through the archives, teaching classes, and punching Nazis very hard in the face. Boyd Holbrook’s character fires a gun and a big celebration of people in New York City all duck. He and Indy ride horseback through the scene. We see Indy on a horse in the subway. It's an action-packed first look full of chase sequences, but it also features some flashbacks of a younger Indy as well. It looks like there’s some de-aged footage of Ford, as a lot of this trailer features shots of young Indiana Jones (not to be confused with The Adventures Of Young Indiana Jones). There’s definitely a big set piece on horseback, in what appeared to be a flashback, because Indy looked a little de-aged. (Plus it seems to be taking place at the end of World War II.)

Series mainstay John Rhys-Davies is also on hand, giving a monologue about how it’s time for Indy to get out of the classroom and back into the adventure. He needs Indy to help him one last time. “I miss the desert,” Sallah says over a bunch of the footage. “I miss the city. I miss waking up every morning wondering what wonderful adventure that day will bring to us.” “Those days are come and gone,” says Indy. “Perhaps,” answers Sallah. “Perhaps not.”

Finally, the footage sheds light on the relationship between Indiana Jones and Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Helena, revealing she's his goddaughter. At some point, the two of them are in a bar and people ask how they’re related and Indy says, jokingly, he’s her godfather. The footage - which also had some plane action scenes and tomb raiding - ended with Indy unleashing his whip in a bar. He just cracks it a bunch of times and tell everyone to back up. They then all take out guns and shoot at him as he jumps out the window. Ford gets some great hero moments here, grabbing his hat as he leans into a motorcycle sidecar. "I don’t believe in magic,” Indy says. “But a few times in my life I’ve seen things. Things I can’t explain. And I’ve come to believe it’s not so much what you believe, it’s how hard you believe it," he says in voiceover, before the sneak peek ends.
Great stuff! Fascinated to know how the music is used, and how good the de-aging effect will look.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 14th, 2022, 5:37 pm

Called it on the de-aging, really glad they’re going with that! This sounds all kinds of awesome fun!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 21st, 2022, 2:55 pm

The story behind the reunion I posted above:

Too bad he didn't respond with "Yes, Dr. Jones". Such a wonderful moment.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2022, 4:55 pm

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 23rd, 2022, 1:59 pm

Cover of the latest Empire magazine:

ImageImage

Exclusive images:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 23rd, 2022, 2:47 pm

So pumped!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."