Mulan (Live-action remake)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by Ben » March 12th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Most of Disney's summer titles will be pushed back, some possibly until next year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 13th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Message from the director:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 13th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Ben wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 7:47 pm
Most of Disney's summer titles will be pushed back, some possibly until next year.
Including those not finished, like Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Marvel's Shang-Chi and the D+ Home Alone ownership-reboot.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disn ... 203531990/

(At this point, Marvel, it would be wise to say that Karma is simply against you for the Shang-Chi movie...Let's face it, you were planning to release it in China anyway, you were doomed from the start.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 14th, 2020, 3:25 pm

"Reflection" is up again on CCTV's channel:

Update on the song, there will be two versions of it played during the end credits but only Christina's will be in English. Now it makes sense. Different, yet cool.

Reminds me of the dub of Pokémon: Jirachi Wish Maker. The end credits theme had the song in English and the original Japanese! (partial) It was so cool at the time because it had never been done before. What I also like is 4Kids made it sound like a duet at the end, even though it didn't happen. That could've been a neat angle for Mulan:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm

To think this would have opened up two days ago. Here's some words from the director:
Niki Caro wrote:Today should have been an amazing moment as we released the live action Mulan around the world. So until that day comes, I’ve resolved to share my journey as the director of this iconic story. I hope you enjoy my diary-in-reverse as I look back at at the glorious, and sometimes daunting experience of making the movie. Today I give you the first challenge I set myself. How to tell the story of a village girl who becomes a male soldier, then ultimately a warrior and a legend... This was a photo shoot I did with a single actress. It’s the same young woman in each frame. These were the first images the studio saw of my vision of Mulan. I’ll keep posting these memories until I can share the whole movie with you all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Wow I LOVE the mystical/passionate feeling that those photos suggest...gives us another glimpse of what is most likely an amazing movie.

I’m just so disappointed...who knows how long we’ll have to wait now??? :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 30th, 2020, 1:50 pm

The optimist in me says 4th of July, the realist says November/December... if lucky.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2020, 7:37 pm

You guys are not getting any major movies until August...at the very earliest. Nov/Dec is more realistic (maybe for Thanksgiving), but a lot of these will end up coming out next year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 20th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Ming-Na Wen, the original voice of Mulan, reads "A Place for Mulan" a tie-in storybook to the live-action movie:

Like how she gets into the roles. Cute story.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 22nd, 2020, 12:12 am

She’s really cool! :). She definitely gave a great performance in Mulan (that’s another reason I wish that film had more dramatic scenes and less of an emphasis on humor; would’ve been wonderful to hear her performing more serious stuff as well.)

Also she was awesome in The Joy Luck Club (which interestingly was also distributed by Disney when it came out in 1993, although it came from an independent studio.)

EDIT: I think it was called Merchant Ivory or something like that.
Last edited by ShyViolet on April 22nd, 2020, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 22nd, 2020, 12:26 am

Also really cool article on the state of Hollywood right now (basically closed for business) and the likely effects COVID-19 will have on the film industry in the long run.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/04/hollywo ... ovies.html

*A bit of language but mostly ok

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 22nd, 2020, 9:12 am

ShyViolet wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 12:12 am
She’s really cool! :). She definitely gave a great performance in Mulan (that’s another reason I wish that film had more dramatic scenes and less of an emphasis on humor; would’ve been wonderful to hear her performing more serious stuff as well.)

Also she was awesome in The Joy Luck Club (which interestingly was also distributed by Disney when it came out in 1993, although it came from an independent studio.)

EDIT: I think it was called Merchant Ivory or something like that.
She was also recently named a Disney Legend, and has appeared not only in a canon animated film, but been part of the Marvel and Star Wars franchises as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 3rd, 2020, 2:21 pm

Niki Caro wrote:One of the most important roles on a film of this scale (or any film really) is the Production Designer. Grant Major and I had worked together a number of times before and I really value his eye, his taste, his huge vision, and his gentle manner. Under his direction a team of concept artists started to show us what our big set pieces could look like. These images were created three years ago. A desert garrison and thriving marketplace on the Silk Road that is the location for our first big action sequence. Once again, it amazes me how faithful we kept to the original vision. Three years later you can see the real shots in the trailer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 26th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Delayed till end of aug. AMC is in big trouble.

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-offic ... 234576142/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2020, 6:16 am

I keep telling you guys...until you all stay home and let this thing fade away, you’re not getting any big summer movies this summer...!! :(