Mulan (Live-action remake)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by Dacey » March 30th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Just announced today. Honestly, I think this could end up being pretty cool, especially if Disney gives it the budget needed for its massive scope.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by LotsoA113 » March 30th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Kevin Hart as Mushu. Calling it now.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 30th, 2015, 6:20 pm

I wonder if Mushu will even be in it...lots of scope for a dramatic epic here...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 30th, 2015, 10:41 pm

I still hope Disney goes through with Order of the Seven (their planned martial arts version of Snow White originally titled Snow and the Seven). :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 31st, 2015, 9:40 am

I actually think this is a really good idea; I was never a terribly big fan of the 1998 film, mostly because I think it lacked an epic feeling, as Ben said, (too many Mushu jokes!) and real scope. I also didn't think China was presented very well visually (much better done in Kung Fu Panda, that's for sure). This will definetly make up for that. :)

It's a better idea than a live-action Dumbo, that's for sure (much as I love Burton).
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jpcase » March 31st, 2015, 11:00 am

A live-action Mulan could be amazing, but I'd much rather see it being done in China. I had always been curious to see more traditional, live-action interpretations of the classic stories behind Disney films, but it doesn't seem like Disney has much interest in going that route (Cinderella notwithstanding, which I haven't gotten to see yet, but have high hopes for).

I mean even Tim Burton's Dumbo would be ten times more interesting (though still not quite warrented) if Burton would look to the old Roll-A-Book for inspiration. Maybe Johnny Depp is actually going to play...(wait for it) Wise One the owl! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2015, 11:22 am

Funny you say that about the animated film not feeling epic enough...this was obviously on the filmmakers' minds, too, as Jerry Goldsmith was brought on last minute to write the score. The official reason was that original composer Rachel Portman became pregnant but in reality it was felt the music needed a more epic feel, which bears out when you know Portman's fine but light approach against what Jerry ultimately provided. Certainly the more serious and epic moments in the film are all underlined by his strong accompaniment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 31st, 2015, 12:39 pm

Jpcase wrote:A live-action Mulan could be amazing, but I'd much rather see it being done in China.
There were Chinese-made live-action versions of the "real" story at the time (just like we got floods of "real" Pocahontas stories after the movie came out), and think there may have been some memo lying around Disney's desk-drawer since then, that they wanted their own "Americanized" version of the HK movie, but Cindy's re-opened the floodgates, just as they were creaking to a close.

They still reportedly have Jon Favreau's live-action Jungle Book next year, which was dueling with Warner's "Jungle Book: Origins", but have a feeling there'll be a new push by the studio and only one will be left standing. (Or at least in theaters.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 31st, 2015, 3:01 pm

EricJ wrote:
They still reportedly have Jon Favreau's live-action Jungle Book next year, which was dueling with Warner's "Jungle Book: Origins", but have a feeling there'll be a new push by the studio and only one will be left standing. (Or at least in theaters.)
Actually, Warner Bros. dueling Jungle Book movie is already filming, and considering it's cast and budget, so I doubt it gets the DTV treatment.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2015, 7:46 pm

I understood Disney's Jungle Book was shooting, but that WB's had been delayed a year...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 31st, 2015, 8:35 pm

Ben wrote:I understood Disney's Jungle Book was shooting, but that WB's had been delayed a year...
Yeah, it's been delayed to 2017, but they started shooting a couple weeks ago.
http://collider.com/the-jungle-book-andy-serkis/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2015, 8:41 pm

Ah...interesting that both versions have gone for women to play Kaa...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 1st, 2015, 2:57 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:Yeah, it's been delayed to 2017, but they started shooting a couple weeks ago.
http://collider.com/the-jungle-book-andy-serkis/
Although it's technically not "Andy Serkis' vision"--The project was originally designed for Alejandro Itti...Irritat...the Birdman Guy, which explained the delay, that he had to drop it for schedule commitments, before they just settled for the quirkiest, most ambitious cast member directing it himself.
(Hoo-boy....Andy was weird enough as an actor. :shock: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 1st, 2015, 3:15 pm

Um, the reason for the delay is because Serkis has re-built it from the ground up again. So, whatever its "origins" (haha), the WB film will be his vision. He got the job after second unit directing The Hobbit and his apparently now abandoned version of Animal Farm.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 1st, 2015, 3:25 pm

Shame. I was kinda looking forward to Animal Farm (and, at the same time, also kinda not).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."