Mulan (Live-action remake)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2019, 6:03 am

I thought Kung Fu Panda 3, or at least large parts of it, was animated in China, in both English and Chinese formats?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 19th, 2019, 4:15 pm

This doesn't help matters much...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 24th, 2019, 4:42 pm

According to a scene shown at D23, Cri-Kee has been replaced by a spider during the matchmaker scene. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 25th, 2019, 11:30 am

People need to let go of the notion that this is a straight remake. It incorporates elements, but WILL be different. Just take it on its own merits.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 25th, 2019, 11:57 am

I get that, but a spider is just dumb! Still, I guess it means they'll be keeping the scene at least. Now to see if they keep the "put it out" part. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 17th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Chinese paper poster:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 1st, 2019, 2:55 pm

New still:

And the producer talking about the approach they decided to take... we'll see how long until they change their minds and add a song or two. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 1st, 2019, 11:18 pm

Love the Chinese poster and that photo actually looks all kinds of awesome...I think Mulan is, without a doubt, the only Disney animated film that might actually be enhanced through a live-action adaptation.

EDIT: Trailer was very beautiful...I love the animated version of course, but the live-action shots definitely seemed to have even more of an “epic scope” to them. (I actually think that quality was somewhat lacking in the original. The mountains kind of had this flat feel and sometimes the colors even seemed drained. Kung Fu Panda actually handled color/design/backgrounds aspect much better, in my opinion.).

(I realize, of course, that Mulan 1998 was traditionally animated, not CG or live-action, but there was just something lacking there background-wise...Hunchback and Beauty did much better when it came to those issues. The wide shots had much more grandeur and emotion to them than Mulan’s did.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 2nd, 2019, 5:37 am

Remakes: you need to see Dumbo, Vi. An awesome surprise.

Mulan: I somewhat agree on the animated's backgrounds. Most of the epic scope of that film came from Goldsmith's score, and the final sequences. Much of the film otherwise takes place in either barren landscapes or fairly uninspired locations where I think a wider 'Scope framing would have really helped.

That said, the animated film is one thing, and this will be another. It stands that this will be lacking in some other ways that the animated was not: the thing with these remakes, it seems, is that you can’t have it all and get the "perfect" version!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 18th, 2019, 6:27 pm

The film will undergo extensive reshoots. One song, I beg of you! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 18th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Four months!

Lesser films are shot in that amount of time. This is major...I agree I hear a song or two or three coming on...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 19th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if it gets pushed back, that's dangerously close to release!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 24th, 2019, 3:29 pm

According to another source, it's only a few weeks of reshooting. Guess we'll see...

There's certainly potential for this to be good, by the same token there's just as much that could go wrong. I'm conflicted with the removal of Shan Yu. I thought he was pretty cool villain. Aside from being huge, being mysterious was also interesting. They could've just as easily kept him and maybe flesh him out a little. A witch sounds a little hokey presently. I'll have to see or at least hear more about her to get a better idea.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 6th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Japanese spot. Ah, the instrumental version of "Reflection" playing in the background again. That's one song I feel should be included. Needs some "Disney magic"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2019, 6:48 pm

Japanese poster:

Sweet. Prefer it over the domestic version. And from it, we get a first glimpse of Mushu the phoenix. Here's a close up:

If one is not in the mindset of what should be, it's kinda pretty and very colorful. Reminds me of the legendary birds from Pokémon. Curious how they will make it work.