Mulan (Live-action remake)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by Daniel » June 27th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Disney might as well postpone until next year. It ain't getting better. My theatre is still closed and I'm not sure I want to go back when it opens. The very thought makes me petrified..!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 28th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Delayed indefinitely. About time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 28th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Totally understand. Safety first! :|
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 5th, 2020, 3:58 pm

So, to clarify, they are asking for thirty dollars IN ADDITION TO the regular $6.99 monthly fee, meaning you are essentially paying close to $40 for it!

Thanks, but I'll wait for the disc release (which will hopefully still happen!).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 5th, 2020, 6:54 pm

In case anyone missed it, we have some discussion on this issue here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7530

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 5th, 2020, 8:56 pm

I'm happy to wait for the "wide" release on D+ a few months later, or maybe even a Blu-ray. But I am in no way upset that Disney is offering the VOD window for those who wish to take advantage. While most folks will wait, the VOD window gives Disney a bit of a chance to recoup some losses. Nothing wrong with that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2020, 6:03 am

But it’s a lose-lose for everyone.

It’s a lose for customers who are being asked to shell out for it, and at an inflated price at that. It’s a lose for Disney who won’t recoup anywhere near what it needs to. It’s a lose for the filmmakers who won’t get their film seen the way it was intended. And it’s a lose for the exhibitors, who are desperate for major product and are seeing their business eradicated, which is, ultimately, a lose for all of us.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 6th, 2020, 10:55 am

Covid has made lose-lose propositions the norm.

The price isn’t that inflated considering it’s about the price of two theatre tickets.

Recouping something now is better than nothing considering how much money Disney is losing across all their businesses (not only are theatres closed, but the parks were closed for months, the cruise lines are still down, and ESPN has no live sports).

The viewers-aren’t-seeing-the-film-as-intended ship sailed a long time ago, since I’d wager the majority of movie viewing is done at home these days.

As for exhibitors, is the same guy who said Disney wouldn’t release home videos until Christmas at the earliest now saying Disney should be releasing films to theaters in August? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2020, 1:50 pm

I don’t get that...? I’m not saying anything should be released now, I’m saying it’s a shame that big screen films won’t be being seen on the big screen.

I think there’s a clear divide between people who are involved in making films, and those that just enjoy watching them. Great for non-discerning, happy to pay consumers unbothered by missing out on the cinema experience, but for us production lot, this is a big blow.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 12th, 2020, 11:48 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 12th, 2020, 12:05 pm

What the heck is "disney plus premiere access?"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 12th, 2020, 12:07 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2020, 1:02 pm

So I shall just wait until it’s part of the service I already pay twice that amount for... :roll:

If they stick to the three month window then it should make a nice Christmas or New Years treat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 12th, 2020, 3:10 pm

No-brainer, really. We've waited this long what's another few months. Still such a shame...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2020, 7:03 pm

The real kicker is that, via my Mac or iPad, you can only reproduce HD resolution, so I couldn’t even get it in 4K HDR anyway! Even if the app worked on my TV, it would be 1080 only.

Not that I’m bothered anyway, as I’m going to wait, but they should maybe offer cheaper versions for those that can’t play or don’t want full quality. Netflix offer 4K at a premium cost, so maybe make the thirty bucks for Mulan in UHD, and 20-25 for standard def or HD?

Yes, I realise this horse has bolted a long time ago, but it’s just more evidence that this hasn’t been thought out very well. And then you have to keep subscribing to keep a hold of your "purchase"...!? How the heck is that not, basically, a rental or, worse, blackmail!? :shock: