Mulan (Live-action remake)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by Farerb » August 15th, 2020, 4:35 am

I don't know if it's true or not but I remember reading somewhere that films that will be released in January - February 2021 will be eligible. Anyway I think the time for delaying films is done. Studios will either release the films in whichever theaters are open or put them in streaming or digital. I know Disney has said that Mulan is a one-time only deal, but if it's successful I can see them doing the same with Black Widow and Soul.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 3rd, 2020, 4:46 pm

Ouch!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ilm-review

Definitely waiting for "free" in December.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 3rd, 2020, 5:13 pm

On the flip side, I'm elated about the cameo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 4th, 2020, 9:31 am

Reviews are mixed. Some love it and others hate it. Some reviews tore the film apart! Others loved it.

Ironic thing is love it or hate it most are saying "it needed to be watched on the big screen." Ironic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment- ... 20outbreak.

Here's one of the reviews on youtube.

Another. Not angry joe has spoilers in his review.

So from angry joes review-- (spoilers in angry joe review.)

Note i have not seen it. I can't give a review as i have not seen it.
Last edited by gaastra on September 4th, 2020, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 4th, 2020, 11:20 am

Also keep in mind many do like the film. It has a 80 score on rt.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 4th, 2020, 11:27 am

I didn't hate it

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 4th, 2020, 4:57 pm

I'm sad I won't get to watch it in theaters (duh!), but it also sounds from what I've heard that this is the overly politically correct, Chinese-imperialism friendly take I was afraid it would be (also the argument the producer made for why Mulan can't be in a romantic relationship with someone in a "higher authority" than her in the current climate is stoopid. Stoopid with two Os!).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 4th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Mulan will get a big screen release---in china!

https://deadline.com/2020/09/mulan-chin ... 234568559/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 4th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Meanwhile, in the states, the online marketing showcases people eating popcorn while watching the movie on their laptops.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2020, 3:40 am

Just the way it was intended.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 6th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Checking out Twitter, Mushu is one of the topics trending as most people are only now finding out he's not in it. Along with the other changes we already knew about. Well, I'm still curious to see how they make it work.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 6th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Dacey wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Meanwhile, in the states, the online marketing showcases people eating popcorn while watching the movie on their laptops.
Proving--as I've said for nine years now--that studio marketers have had, for a decade, NO CLUE how real people watch digital movies in their home.
They knocked themselves out trying to sell us "Now you can take your library of movies on the go!...On any device!", because they literally couldn't tell the difference between digital movies and MP3 music.

Back before we got the Instant Netflix app on the living-room game consoles in 2010, Hulu, Amazon Prime and Crackle went all-in believing we'd watch our TV shows on laptops.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 6th, 2020, 8:18 pm

How did mulan do overseas?

https://deadline.com/2020/09/tenet-open ... 234571662/
Disney hasn’t reported Mulan Disney+ revenue figures, and I imagine they won’t until an earnings call, together with the pic’s overseas box office. This weekend, the Niki Caro-directed movie opened to $5.9M from Croatia, Czech Rep, Middle East, Slovakia, Turkey, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, and Thailand.

Mulan opened at #1 in UAE and #2 in Saudi Arabia, posting an estimated $800K in each market. UAE’s opening weekend was +6% ahead of Cinderella and +31% ahead of Tenet (F/S/S). Saudi Arabia’s opening, meanwhile, was +153% ahead of Aladdin, +5% ahead of Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and just -18% below Tenet (F/S/S). Both markets have capacity restrictions in the 30%-50% range. Mulan opened at #1 in Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand, posting the biggest opening weekend to date in 2020 in both Singapore and Thailand. The movie also opened at #2 in Taiwan. All four markets currently have over 90% of theaters open, but the overall market was down vs this time last year in Malaysia (-75%), Singapore (-35%) and Thailand (-23%), while +41% up in Taiwan. Capacity restrictions exist in each of the four markets except for Taiwan.

Rival industry sources with knowledge of PVOD are figuring that Disney may not have earned great presales on Disney+ for Mulan, where the pic was available for $29.99. The studio quickly announced it would be free in early December on the service, and all eyes are watching to see how quickly the film floats to Amazon and GooglePlay services before that free-date. With Disneyland still not open, and other parks still not at their full capacity, Disney needs to make money any way they can, and CEO Bob Chapek told investors Mulan wasn’t creating some new window.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 7th, 2020, 5:59 am

Those Angry Joe guys are pretty funny with their outrage.

(Warning for some heavy language though!)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 10th, 2020, 12:22 pm