Jurassic World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Jurassic World

Post by James » May 2nd, 2022, 3:51 pm

I think the first two movies in the World trilogy were embarrassingly ridiculous. But I have hope for this one. This is what the trilogy should have been about almost from the start. Drop the silly military applications and terrorist auctions and give us the Jurassic World story starting with the release of dinosaurs into the wild at the end of the first film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 2nd, 2022, 6:21 pm

The first Jurassic World was good--and what the JP sequels should have been--in that the Disney World fans in us WANTED to see the park open just once, but the cynic in us also realized that even dinos would soon be at the mercy of easily jaded coaster-head teens, and the park would soon go too far, just like all the others. There's a thin line between Jurassic World and Sea World.

As for JW:FK...wow. And we complained about the gymnastics girl in LW:JP??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 3rd, 2022, 6:30 pm

I did like in JW:FK how the action pieces were one 'long take' like the JP movies, instead of the action pieces in JW where we would cut away from the action to see the response of another character to what was happening. it took away all the tension in those moments.

Not sure if I'm explaining myself well. Just compare the T-Rex attack on the cars from JP with the gyrosphere sequence from JW. With JP there is no time for the audience to breathe from the moment the fence is broken to the time the car is pushed off the edge. Whereas in the gyrosphere the tension is building and then we cut to Claire in the car multiple times. The scene would have been tenser if we just heard Claire on the kid's phone while we were trapped in the gyrosphere with the two boys. There were too many cut aways that allowed me to release the tension and breathe.

I may have hated the overall storyline to JW:FK but at least the action scenes were a tenser viewing expeience due to the reduced cut aways. But having said that I've only watched JW:FK once so maybe my memory isn't recalling the action pieces all that well.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2022, 6:38 pm

FK is gloriously nuts…and all the better for it!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2022, 6:54 pm

Yay! :)

I loved FK because I just didn’t know where the heck it was going!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 6th, 2022, 5:33 am

How great is it to see these guys together again?? Awesome interview. :)

https://youtu.be/LOmlwXM61RQ
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2022, 1:07 pm

And, as is the trend more and more now, I like that they’re not just showing up for a cameo or random scene and are actually integral to the plot to a decent degree. Go big or go home, right? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 1st, 2022, 3:34 pm

Clip:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 7th, 2022, 2:26 pm

A look at the timeline:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 8th, 2022, 4:22 am

Ha! In their being so clever they jumped from the dinosaurs straight to 1993, and missed out when the amber was first found , "in the spring of 1990", according to the Jurassic teaser trailer. But then the whole Jurassic timeline is pretty screwy to begin with, what with not enough time for the dinosaurs to actually grow, and the whole Isla Sorna thing, which seemed bonkers and nonsensical to begin with and now just seems to come and go whenever they feel like it or need an escape clause or reason to remember it, even though it basically makes no sense to have a second island, again especially when it is stated that "all the animals are bred right here on the island" in the first film…!!?!!??

I *love* the Jurassic franchise — I even wrote a "Return To Jurassic Park" sequel screenplay back in 1993 that was miles better than what we got in The Lost World (they even used my adaptation idea in the opening of that film) and preempted a lot of what wound up in IIi and Fallen Kingdom — but it has become as nuts as anything given all the retconning (by Crichton himself, it has to be said, and the refusal to really follow the second book in the eventual film). Hopefully Dominion will tidy everything up, though it’s disappointing to learn that the prologue has been cut: this felt like it would be a terrifically cool opening, in going right back to the beginning before we get to the end, and make this feel even more epic. Maybe we'll get an extended cut on disc, or at least that as an optional extra.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 8th, 2022, 4:58 pm

Oh…

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235161062/

Still sounds big, bonkers, nuts and insane. I’m in! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 9th, 2022, 12:21 am

Shoot, I really need to watch Fallen Kingdom!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 9th, 2022, 1:01 am

You should--It's merely lame for the first 3/4, and then the last act gets really, really...goofy.

Imagine "How could a 21st-cty. studio do an equivalent remake of Lost World, and throw even more hysterically overwrought 'cool' studio tropes into the climax, hoping to create more elaborate backstory for future franchise entries?"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 9th, 2022, 2:27 am

Fallen Kingdom, once THAT thing happens, is INSANE. Best big dumb studio movie in ages, simply because, after that moment, you just didn’t know where it was going and how big it was going to feel.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 12th, 2022, 3:56 am

Rewatched it this week in anticipation of the new one. Even dumber and sillier than I remembered. I thought the militarized raptors were ridiculous in the first one! But they topped themselves!