Jurassic World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Jurassic World

Post by Ben » May 23rd, 2015, 6:30 am

What, no thread for this!? Sure we've talked about thi elsewhere...

Here's Empire's page with a new Richard Attenborough-narrated trailer, which kind of works, and an extra featurette that has a bit of Chris Pratt having fun.

I've said before here somewhere that I think this film surreptitiously forgets the last two movies and will play as a direct sequel to the first Jurassic Park. That's not to say the events in Lost World and III didn't happen, but the vibe from the beginning has been, for me, that this picks up years after the first park didn't happen.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44355

More excited now that I learned a couple of weeks back that Michael Giacchino has done the score, which I also commented on in some other thread...and this is stacking up to just look like a really fun time at the movies again!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Jurassic World

Post by ShyViolet » May 23rd, 2015, 5:23 pm

Excited for it, but still wish Spielberg was actually directing. :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 23rd, 2015, 8:47 pm

I've surprisingly no worries with that...I think Spielberg has said and done anything and everything he wanted to say and do on dinosaur pictures about half way through The Lost World, so I'm anticipating a new take on the property by fresher eyes.

The last thing we wanted was Jurassic Park And The Crystal Dinoskulls, was it?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 23rd, 2015, 10:37 pm

Ben wrote:I've surprisingly no worries with that...I think Spielberg has said and done anything and everything he wanted to say and do on dinosaur pictures about half way through The Lost World, so I'm anticipating a new take on the property by fresher eyes.

The last thing we wanted was Jurassic Park And The Crystal Dinoskulls, was it?
Spielberg has said he doesn't like doing sequels, and we have three very unarguable reasons beaten into our subconscious of why never to let him near one EVER AGAIN. :shock:
(And even if Last Crusade was tolerable for being an apology for his other sequel, that still doesn't make it a classic.)
Last edited by EricJ on May 23rd, 2015, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 23rd, 2015, 10:41 pm

I've said before here somewhere that I think this film surreptitiously forgets the last two movies and will play as a direct sequel to the first Jurassic Park. That's not to say the events in Lost World and III didn't happen, but the vibe from the beginning has been, for me, that this picks up years after the first park didn't happen.
It's a "reboot", which is what happens when the last sequel expires past its date, becomes a decade(s)-later revival, and falls into other hands. (As one critic put it, an expired sequel franchise can be passed from hand to hand like a game of Hot-Potato, until it's rebooted, at which point the game is over.)
Not that most fans have objections to starting over and pretending 2 & 3 never happened.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2015, 4:56 am

Except...it's not a reboot, which would imply a whole new cast/take/non-association to the original.

*This* one is going to great pains to make comparisons to the original - if you check out the videos in the link I provided above, you'll see Jurassic World is the culmination of John Hammond's original concept...they use the reveal from Jurassic Park and even his voice to introduce the new World.

In addition, Spielberg in the next clip confirms all this, and really this is just Jurassic Park 4 (as shown in some pre-release teaser posters with the four scratches), but the new Jurassic World moniker also means they don't actually have to call it that, so it can follow on from the first film seamlessly (while not discounting 2 and 3 for those that did like them).

Clever marketing, but not a reboot...this is a sequel very much cut from the same cloth and in the same hands.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 24th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Cool...I'm reassured! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LastActionHero » June 2nd, 2015, 11:29 am

If this is not a reboot, then they MUST give a good explanation for why they are allowed to build more of these Dinosaur Zoos, after all those events happened before.
A good CFO can develop actionable data to inform decision-making - Maureen O'Connell Scholastic

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LastActionHero » June 2nd, 2015, 11:32 am

ShyViolet wrote:Excited for it, but still wish Spielberg was actually directing. :?
Same here. But I guess we should give chance to new blood.
A good CFO can develop actionable data to inform decision-making - Maureen O'Connell Scholastic

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 2nd, 2015, 3:37 pm

LastActionHero wrote:If this is not a reboot, then they MUST give a good explanation for why they are allowed to build more of these Dinosaur Zoos, after all those events happened before.
That was twenty years ago, their technology and safeguards have become more foolproof since then...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 6th, 2015, 1:31 am

Score CD coming in a digipack. The synopsis for the film: Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park (1993), Isla Nublar now features a fully functioning dinosaur theme park, Jurassic World, as originally envisioned by John Hammond. After 10 years of operation and visitor rates declining, in order to fulfill a corporate mandate, a new attraction is created to re-spark visitor's interest, which backfires horribly.

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_de ... -DIGIPACK/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Read a print interview with Pratt this morning: he's genuinely stoked to be in this and says the trailers are holding back big surprises. Even the interviewer admits the film is a blast. I'll wait to see the film before I buy a score, but it's on my radar...!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 6th, 2015, 12:49 pm

We watched the new trailer on YouTube last night. It looks pretty awesome, actually. I'm way more interested in seeing this now than I was initially. Looks like a fun time.

My boy said he may need to wait to see it until he's 9 (he's just turned 8 ). A little too scary for him yet!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Has he seen the original...I'd say you need to see that first anyway, since it appears to be the set-up for this new one, though even that may be too much for him.

I vividly remember seeing the first one back in '93...the trailers all played with relatively low volume, which me and my pal were pretty annoyed about since we figured the movie wouldn't have the wow factor due to the low sound.

Then we got the DTS promo literally blasting onto the screen and out of the speakers...woah! We turned to each other and said "Is THAT loud enough for you?"!

I did say earlier that I might make the pilgrimage to the Imax to see this...as time has gone on that need has softened quite a bit but with current clips coming out and the new trailers, I'm thinking about it again. I think it's going to be the surprise of the summer and the best "ride" event movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 6th, 2015, 6:47 pm

Ben wrote:I vividly remember seeing the first one back in '93...the trailers all played with relatively low volume, which me and my pal were pretty annoyed about since we figured the movie wouldn't have the wow factor due to the low sound.

Then we got the DTS promo literally blasting onto the screen and out of the speakers...woah! We turned to each other and said "Is THAT loud enough for you?"!
Also remember that crazy opening scene with the escaped raptor? Now that was LOUD! Thought I would go deaf or something! :shock: :wink: