Zootopia

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Zootopia

Post by Ben » December 7th, 2015, 8:52 am

Gotcha. More than once the poster for that has popped up to illustrate the Chomet film!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 31st, 2015, 10:05 pm

Let's end this year with one last trailer for Zootopia!

I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 1st, 2016, 3:50 pm

It's starting to look pretty good--
This would be the "Explanation" trailer that follows after the "Out of context funny-bit" trailer: An actual outline of the plot and characters (showing us almost the whole darn thing, in fact), so now does all that Sloth stuff make sense?
Sort of like the later Tangled trailers showed us chase scenes to go with Flynn getting hit with the frying pan, and the later Wreck-It Ralph trailers showed us Vanellope along with the support-group scenes.

And while I usually facepalm at comedies still using Don Corleone parodies because they don't know why their parents did, even the "Molefather" scene looked funny.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 1st, 2016, 4:11 pm

The part of the trailer that impressed me is that the plot seems to revolve around the 'error' of herbivores and carnivores living peacefully together. It seems there is a reason why they are able to do that in this world, and savage beasts suddenly appearing is propelling the plot. The more that is released for the movie the more intrigued I am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 2nd, 2016, 5:38 am

I'm feeling Chicken Little (for obvious reasons) and The Wild (no bad thing) in this, but some of the gags are funny, though Bateman, whom I usually like okay, seems pretty lifeless in his voicing, and they do quite seem to know what a sloth is exactly.

Still...looks like this may be a fun, flippant comedy to cleanse the pallet before Moana...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 2nd, 2016, 2:05 pm

Ben wrote:I'm feeling Chicken Little (for obvious reasons) and The Wild (no bad thing) in this, but some of the gags are funny, though Bateman, whom I usually like okay, seems pretty lifeless in his voicing, and they do quite seem to know what a sloth is exactly.
If you're going to do an animal-gag comedy, Chicken Little and Wild would be the touchstones for what to do wrong:
CL--like Dindal's Cats Don't Dance before it--HATED animals. Almost every gag would involve civilized animals doing what we hate or ridicule the real animals for: A dog in a bar would have his drink served in a little toilet, get it, get it? :roll:
(And it's hard to tell whether Secret Life of Pets also treads dangerously on the same territory, but we shall see.)

Although we can't judge yet from fast isolated trailer gags, Disney's animal-gag movie still has a bit of Pixar-short whimsy in it enough to keep the jokes lighter and amusing.
It's the Bolt director, so the humor might still be a little sitcom, but the current "Pixar-renaissance" WDFA has its new strength on character, and Judy & Nick are definitely characters. I'd say we can stand down on the CL/Madagascar storm warnings, unless you're intent on beating them into the ground every post without watching the trailers.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 12th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Early reviews are coming in, and while I haven't read them (I learned my lesson after having Frozen spoiled for me!), they all seem very positive so far. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2016, 8:48 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 13th, 2016, 9:17 am

Huh. So.... it's actually pretty good? Nice to hear.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 2nd, 2016, 4:16 pm

Rotten Tomatoes at 100% with 44 reviews in

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/zootopia/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 2nd, 2016, 4:34 pm

With Disney/Pixar playing hide-and-seek with their plots, I always cheat and read the children's-books marketed early at Barnes & Noble-- :P
The later official-trailers have finally gotten up off their sloth butts and revealed more of the true tone of the eventual storyline, in that Nick & Judy's buddy-cop case apparently starts wandering into the darker "backstreet" territories of what the predators do with their time, bringing up the issue of just how much of a utopia Zootopia is to begin with.

Which, yes, is a far cry from the wacky lion and wacky zebra of the other studio.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 2nd, 2016, 8:12 pm

All the trailers make Zootopia look like some wacky, frothy, but unsubstantial confection, so I'm pleased to see all the glowing reviews. I'm refraining from reading any of them, though, in hopes of being pleasantly surprised--as I have been with Disney Animation's last few films. I have read that Giacchino's score is Mickey-Mousey and one of his weaker efforts, but maybe it works better in the film. Inside Out was a great score on its own, but coupled with the film, it was sublime.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2016, 8:13 pm

EricJ wrote:...bringing up the issue of just how much of a utopia Zootopia is to begin with.
At least it's a better title than the crappy Zootropolis that the rest of the world is getting it under... :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 2nd, 2016, 8:53 pm

I've been calling it Zow-uh-topia (like "zoology") around my kids. They thought it was hilarious... the first 5-10 times! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2016, 4:32 am

:?

Hoo boy...that James. He ka-ray-zee! ;)