Scooby-Doo! Theatrical animated movie just announced

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Scooby-Doo! Theatrical animated movie just announced

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2019, 6:51 pm

I’m quite blown away by Scoob himself, actually.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 9th, 2019, 9:19 am

Pretty much agree with everything you said. This looks pretty good, aside from Fred not coming off all that well. Looks like they're nailing the Scoob/Shag friendship.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 11th, 2019, 9:28 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 11th, 2019, 9:35 am

I mostly liked it. Scoob talks too much, though. And I still don't like Fred's look, but it's not a deal-breaker. nice to see allusions to Blue Falcon and Dynomutt too! Overall, I have to say I'm looking forward to it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Not only does Scooby talk too much, he's doing so a little too fluently. Not enough "r". Should have said RIKIA.

I liked the trailer. Looks really heartwarming. The song they chose was perfect.

My main issue, of course, are the voices. Honestly, can't put much of a positive spin on them. They're not bad, just too different. Shaggy basically sounds like a watered down version, minus the rasp. It reminded me of Grandpa Bud from Meet the Robinsons. Fred and Daphne sound generic. Like typical cliché teens. Nothing unique. Velma, I'm sad to say was the worst. She's missing that that kookiness vibe. The current voice is lousy, (why Warner hasn't replaced her is beyond me) but at least she sounds like Velma. This doesn't sound anything remotely like she should. Feels like a completely new character. I guess it sorta matches her new design, still doesn't feel right. None of them do. They're just wrong. I will say, however, the young voices were terrific. No complaints there.

Despite that, I'm still very much interested. If the cast had not been replaced, this could've been so much more...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2019, 5:24 am

Oh dear. Just when I had praised the look and perhaps somewhere felt that this might just rise above any dubious notions of it being good, the trailer has given me several reasons to give this an easy pass. Voices off, Shaggy isn’t Shaggy, Scooby isn’t even Scooby - what’s with all the almost perfectly sounding Rs and fluent speaking? The girls sound bored in their inflections, just reading the words of the script and not putting any performance into it, especially Velma. And Scooby snacks are named after Scooby, not the other way around!

I’m not even saying anything new...Dan makes the same points above and reactions on the voices are all over the place. And then they all just meet as kids and make up the awesome foursome (plus Scoob, natch) right off the bat? Whatever happened to meeting in high school? How boring! And don’t get me started on the flat, home video level animation. This looks more like something they should be leading HBOM with than trailing as a big theatrical feature. I predict low to middling numbers for this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 12th, 2019, 3:21 pm

I thought it was somewhat clever how Scooby got his name, (if you ignore history) but it was kind of a lame joke. Why would the officer ask for a middle and last name?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Photos from CCXP:

Looks pretty groovy. RRrrrooby RRrrooo. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 10th, 2020, 2:31 pm

New-ish trailer... same as before just with new bookend footage:

Blue Falcon's suit looks pretty cool. Sounds good even though his portrayal is different, as is Dynomutt. Maybe they wanted to do a reversal of their usual dynamic. Shaggy's voice is still off...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2020, 12:34 pm

Tom Holkenborg is scoring the film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2020, 1:09 pm

Yeah, definitely agree that both their voices are really off, Scoob’s in particular.

(Kinda reminds me of when The Real Ghostbusters made all these stupid changes and suddenly Slimer could actually talk instead of just mumbling a word or two. :roll:)

Just wondering, how come Matthew Lillard wasn’t a candidate for this??
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2020, 1:21 pm

They wanted a bigger newer name, plain and simple. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2020, 8:26 am

Yeah, that is kind of a shame. :| As I recall his performance was one of the only charming/funny things in the live-action films (I only saw the first one, so maybe the second had more to offer).

Also I find Shaggy being a little boy and actually having a little-boy voice to be just plain weird...I don’t know know if anyone remembers the show A Pup Named Scooby Doo (it originally ran in the late 80s); there Casey Kasem actually did voice Little Shaggy. Basically he only made his voice a little higher which in my opinion is far less jarring than having a whole new voice actor! :? (Even if not as “realistic”—but hey in essence this is a show about a grown man being best friends with a sort-of-talking dog who helps him and his friends basically solve the same mystery every time! Lol. :))
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 5th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Dynomutt talks in last trailer.

Edit--I HATE this sites youtube link. 5 tries and still didn't work. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2020, 3:31 pm

It's because you have to use the main link. I'm guessing you copied the link after watching it embedded elsewhere? When that happens try visiting the Youtube account and click the vid again to get a different url. (one that doesn't have "emb_logo") That should do the trick. Like I said before, it's picky!

Dynomutt's voice is... just not right. Same with Dick Dastardly's outfit. Voices are still grating and the characters feel off. Still say Velma's the worst all around...