The Lion King Remake

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: The Lion King Remake

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2021, 8:47 pm

I will crack up if they go with "The Lion King: Part II".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 26th, 2021, 2:16 am

Would be cool if it was simply called Mufasa. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2021, 4:48 am

Lion King: Circle Of Life.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 11th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Prequel will feature multiple new characters. (mild language in a quote, comes from an interview I posted earlier)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TyraNoah » May 14th, 2021, 11:23 am

Lion king all the way, "Hakuna matata" no worries.
what a remarkable story.
makes me want to visit Africa someday.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 26th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Aaron Pierre will voice young Mufasa and Kelvin Harrison Jr. will voice Taka. (thinking they mean Scar)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 26th, 2021, 4:36 pm

Can’t wait?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2021, 5:31 pm

Actually… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » August 26th, 2021, 6:43 pm

I doubt this will have any connections to the DisneyToon Studios production The Lion King II: Simba's Pride.

That would probably leave my older sister (a fan of The Lion King, especially Simba's Pride) a little upset if she finds out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2021, 8:41 pm

Being that it’s confirmed this will be a prequel, I'm afraid you’re right: it has nothing to do with Simba's Pride.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 9th, 2022, 9:11 pm

Title for the prequel:

Wow. So I was partly right...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2022, 3:55 am

Well, they did announce the title almost back when they announced it was a prequel, so I’m not sure what the big deal is here. Maybe they switched it from The Lion King: Mufasa?

Either way, it’s pointless. Without spoiling the ending, he dies. And how are they going to work in "young" Timon and Pumbaa without it being a cringefest? Just make up new supporting characters that have the same kind of symmetrical storytelling role!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 10th, 2022, 12:04 pm

No, the rumored title was Wonderwall.

More info:
Slashfilm wrote:The film is directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Barry Jenkins ("Moonlight," "The Underground Railroad") and will utilize the same CGI technology that Favreau used. It's the story of who Mufasa was before he took over the Pridelands. Kelvin Harrison Jr. ("The Trial of the Chicago 7") will play the young lion Taka, who later takes the name Scar. Aaron Pierre ("The Underground Railroad") will play the young version of Mufasa, the father of Simba that we met in "The Lion King."

Jenkins introduced the panel by saying that this is the story of how Mufasa rose to royalty. He was an orphaned lion cub who had to figure out the world all by himself. We'll learn about his journey to find his place in the Circle of Life. Jenkins told the crowd that he felt like he had to make this film after watching the original one over and over again with his nephews.

Here's what was shown at the panel

The footage begins with a shot of mountains in glowing sunlight. We see the familiar mandrill Rafiki, the Shaman of the Pride Lands, with glowing orbs. We move into the orbs as we head into a rocky desert area. Rafiki tells us that this is where a lion was born with no noble blood in his veins. This is a lion who would change our lives forever.

Then the rain pours in and floods the place, washing away the baby Mufasa away. The poor little guy ends up in a sort of marshland, floating on a log. He's not alone, though. He meets some other lions and says, "Hello, what's your name?"

The footage doesn't leave out some of our favorite characters from the first film, though. They managed to work Timon and Pumbaa into the story as bookends. They say, "So wait, you're telling the story without us?"
Pretty big retcon, no? Now Mufasa and Scar aren't biological brothers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 10th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Whoa, they really pulled a George Lucas! Honestly, it’s not really making much of an impression on me. :?

The next one should just be called: “Scar.” Tagline? “I’m surrounded by idiots.” Lol. :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2022, 7:45 pm

So the real title is actually "Moses: The Lion King"…