Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 23rd, 2005, 9:08 pm

Turned to the Dark Side you all have.

There is no hope...Twisted and evil you have become.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 23rd, 2005, 9:16 pm

I agree with your complaint about the editing at the end. During what was supposed to be the climactic action scene it just seemed to me like "stuff was happening." But it didn't therefore make me dislike the whole movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » June 24th, 2005, 8:47 am

Ummm.. okay.. back to the subject of Batman Begins ---
Ben wrote:Sorry to say that he doesn't.

One - the best - is used barely, the other one/two doesn't stick around very long and then the end is just fighting. Badly cut, can't see what's going on fighting.

I spoke to the Stunt Coordinator today, and most of the stunt guys are very disappointed with it too, given what they they put into it.
On the point of the villains, I'll agree that they don't get into them too much (although I do feel Henri Ducard is used very well). But, Ben, you might be missing the point here: the movie is supposed to be about Batman, seeing as it is Batman Begins :lol: .
I do also agree with you on the editing, which was my one and only complaint. The edits for the fighting scenes are waaaay too quick. It was extremely difficult to see what was happening (this is the same thing that seem to plague Revenge of the Sith, but that's another thread). But that being said, the movie isn't solely about fight scenes, otherwise this would have just been another Bat-movie like, oh, I dunno, Batman & Robin. :roll: :lol:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Interesting essay on Burton's Batman

Post by ShyViolet » August 10th, 2005, 6:30 pm

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/arc ... 74504.html

I must confess that I still haven't seen Batman Begins. :oops: :oops: But I assume they were a little more faithful to Batman lore than Burton's....

Totally agree about what the writer said about Knox. (Vicki Vale's wannabe boyfriend.) I HATE THAT CHARACTER. :x

Even though I enjoyed both Batman and Batman returns, I think George C is right that the animated series (from the 1990's of course) is the best version of Batman we currently have.

Still you have to admit that Jack Palance was hilarious in this movie: (and he wasn't even playing the Joker)

"Jack....you are my #1....guy!!"

"Save this...son-of-a b****!"

"Don't forget....your lucky deck!"

:roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

impregnable

Post by impregnable » August 28th, 2005, 5:13 am

discount pharmacy - http://www.bestrxpills.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

batman Scarecrow--need info

Post by ShyViolet » October 4th, 2005, 5:51 pm

I loved the character in Batman Begins but I never read the comics.
Can anyone give me some background on him?

Thanks. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 5th, 2005, 1:28 am

Here's the background on Scarecrow.

He's an ex-college professor named Jonathon Crane who specialized in phobias/unreasonable fears. Evidently, his research got too macabre and unethical for the Gotham University administration so he was forced to resign. Crane was experimenting on his students with his "fear serums" and that was a serious breach of ethics.

Crane didn't want to quit his research because he "got off" on scaring the ^*&& out of people. However, chemicals are expensive so he was forced to start stealing to raise money to buy the chemical compounds for his research. That's when he started butting heads with Batman.

Like most of Batman's other villains, Scarecrow dresses for psychological effect. He usually dresses similar to the "Oz" Scarecrow but with a meaner facemask that hides his features and suggests a corpse.

The Scarecrow first appeared in Batman comics published in the early 1940s. Those early appearances have been reprinted in the DC Comics Batman and Dark Knight Archives hardcovers. (They're pretty expensive -- borrow them if your library has them!) They'll eventually catch up the earliest Scarecrow appearances within the next volume or two of the cheaper Batman Chronicles trade paperbacks if DC decides to continue the Chronicles TPBs.

The basic origins of the Scarecrow character are the same in the comics as in the 1990s Batman animated series. The Scarecrow never got featured in the 1960s live-action Batman series but has appeared in Batman animated series over the years since at least the late 1970s "Challenge of the Superfriends" (aka "Superfriends") TV series where he was a member of the Legion of Doom.

His biggest animated appearance prior to his 3-5 appearances on the 1990s Batman series was a 1985 episode of the last version of the Superfriends, "Galactic Guardians: The Legendary Super Powers Team." In that episode written by Michael Reeves, who was the story editor on the 1992 Batman series, Scarecrow releases a gas grenade at Batman that causes Batman to relive the memory of his parents' murder. They couldn't show the murder on TV, of course, but the animators intercut lightning with horrified expressions on young Bruce's face to imply it. Batman eventually caught the Scarecrow but not without having to deal reliving his greatest fear over and over again.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 5th, 2005, 1:37 am

More on the animated series Scarecrow here -- http://www.batmantas.com/

and the comics version and other media appearances -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarecrow_%28comics%29

When in doubt, Google it!

Otherwise, go to Wikipedia! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2005, 1:23 pm

Thanks a whole lot!
:) :)

It's also funny how in the movie he's the head of Arkham Asylum but in the cartoon he's an inmate!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 6th, 2005, 11:15 am

You're welcome!

FYI, I personally thought the best Scarecrow scene in the '92 Batman animated series was in the episode, "Harley's Holiday."

Just as Harley was being "paroled"/declared "sane," Batman's bringing in the Scarecrow to Arkham to be recommitted YET AGAIN!

The Scarecrow ranting and raving that everybody should be fearing him because he's the master of fear yadda-yadda when Harley says, "Hello, Pro-fessuh Crane."

Scarecrow stops dead cold in his ranting and "Hello, child. Good day to you, too!" (He likes Harley. Probably relates to her as ex-psychologist to ex-psychiatrist, PRESENT psychopath to PRESENT psycho-ditz!)

It was such a 180-degree spontaneous change in behavior and hilarious to watch!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 6th, 2005, 2:20 pm

Totally. I was thinking of that too. :wink:

Paul Dini wrote that episode. He's really awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 13th, 2005, 9:35 pm

This movie is awesome. Will definetely get the DVD. (I think it's coming out really soon.)

LOVED the Scarecrow. :) :) :)

Also I heard that Paul Bettany (Russell Crow's British friend in A Beautiful Mind) might be considered for the Joker in part II.

BTW, the paperback novel s****. I thought about buying it but it's like on a 6th-grade level. Why didn't they get Peter David (he did the Spider-Man books) to do it?? :shock: :x

Anyone think this film might get an Oscar nom for anything? Acting, technical stuff, screenplay, etc...??

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 14th, 2005, 1:03 am

Violet, if you are looking for some news on the Batman Begins sequel, I think you will find this article interesting: http://www.moviehole.net/news/penguin_r ... man_s.html.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 14th, 2005, 2:33 pm

Thanks Mickey! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 14th, 2005, 3:13 pm

Begins was so awsome - I can't wait for the sequel.