Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 29th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Josh wrote:Even if The Dark Knight doesn't reach Titanic's record, I'm still glad that it is doing very well.
I really hope it does. This film is much more worthy of that record (in my opinion :P )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 29th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Josh wrote:Meanwhile, the initial reactions from people who might have blurted something out, such as a certain character's wife and kids, are not seen.
Yeah, good point...also, I was kind of thinking that in a way it's better that we didn't see Harvey's first reaction to how he looks since it's better to imagine how horrible it must have been. (plus you do see that amzing silent scream of horror when he regains consiousness in the hospital. :( :shock:)

I still feel that they did need a bit more "horror" in Gordon and even the bartender's reactions, since no matter how good a friend he is and how well you might know him, the guy is horribly disfigured. In a way I think that knowing Harvey well might make them even more emotional, even with trying to "hold back". Just my opinion, though. I guess maybe the mood Nolan was trying to establish had a more "philosophical" edge to it rather than a completely realistic one and that's how he decided to follow through on it.
Josh wrote:(By the way, cool article! Even if The Dark Knight doesn't reach Titanic's record, I'm still glad that it is doing very well. Earlier this summer, I assumed Knight would make close to what Batman Begins made.)
Thanks Josh. :) Yeah, I'm also glad it's doing well. As far-fetched as this MAY sound, I think there might possibly be a chance of a Best Picture nom later this year--really, I do. If the Sixth Sense can do it, TDK certainly can!
eddievalient wrote:But they may have written themselves into a corner now. With Two Face dead and the Joker not likely to be seen again, how are they going to even come close to matching this? It doesn't seem possible.
Interesting eddie. There's still other great villains though--the Scarecrow for one, he never really got his own film and I think that would be wonderful since he's a very psychological villain and Nolan can reveal more about his origin this time. There's also The Vantriloquest/Scarface guy, Clayface and possibly Mr. Freeze? (If he's done right this time, of course. :wink:)
Whippet Angel wrote:I really hope it does. This film is much more worthy of that record (in my opinion :P)
I agree Angel! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2008, 5:11 pm

Was hoping to catch this stateside but we hardly got a minute off! Only managed to pack WALL-E in because of a perfect gap in our schedule!

But...tomorrow, TDK will be seen...I'm starting to hear too many spoilers so I need to catch up quick!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 4th, 2008, 1:11 pm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 4th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Oh, no. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 4th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Here is a positive update on Morgan Freeman: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=47631

Looks like he is going to be fine, thank goodness. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 4th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Good to hear. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 4th, 2008, 8:44 pm

That is good to hear. I was actually worried for a minute.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 5th, 2008, 3:14 pm

That's great news! :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 10th, 2008, 7:50 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2008, 8:12 pm

I'm afraid I gotta come clean...

While I thought it was a much, <I>much</I> better film than Batman Begins, that wasn't saying much for me.

I just didn't like the <I>Dark Knight</I> all that much and can't see how it's making all this coinage. I found it to be a series of non-linking scenes that didn't really build to anything (within a scene) and cut to something else just as things were getting interesting.

Case in point: the party that the Joker crashes: Bats arrives, things start getting juicy and he has to leap out to save the girl, we think there's an action sequence about to begin, but no: they just land and...that's it!? Are we to believe the Joker then carried on partying upstairs with the other guests? Batman just went home? That was a real "<I>what?</I>" moment for me.

The rest of the film followed suit: again things just happen and drop into place all too conveniently. I didn't think Ledger actually had much chance to assert his Joker character - the impact he <I>did</I> make was down to him being a superlative performer, but his character was hardly in the movie. I thought the best thing was the treatment of Two-Face, which was handled pretty well.

I found the use of Chicago to be <I>much</I> better utilised in the film: no fake, jarring CG monorail shots: just a tough, hard city at work and play. There were good things: the gritty opening had nice touches, but I was hoping the vigilante Batmans would be back, possibly even killed in mistake for being the real deal.

I found the music to be the same old thing as before. Quick, we must have action, and so Zimmer's pounding strings - the same four notes - just kept plugging away in the background while the horns built some kind of tension that the picture wasn't accomplishing elsewhere.

I just thought that each scene was a snapshot of something much better: I'm sure there's a three and a half hour director's cut in here that could be mega-fantastic, but I didn't see that one last week in the theater.

I didn't think it was "bad", but just not very good. Sorry! :cool:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 10th, 2008, 8:50 pm

You might like this, then. :)

*this goes on a bit too long but is funny nonetheless! :P (Thanks Animation Nation! )

RIP Heath Ledger--it's respectful to him.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 10th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Ah yeah, I've seen that! Very good little spoof right there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 11th, 2008, 12:00 am

Oooookay, make that two movies that Ben and I have disagreed on! (At least this time, I have the critics and popular opinion on my side. ;) I didn't have much support for my favorable view of Beowulf.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 11th, 2008, 8:32 am

I'm right there with ya, Randall.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83