Madagascar

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 10th, 2005, 3:24 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Katzenberg actually does one of the Penguins, Rico. (He's uncredited)

He doesn't speak, but he does "react." He's the "silent" Penguin who doesn't talk. Kind of ironic. :wink:
Well, there goes my brain... When you say 'react', do you mean things like gasping, or maybe laughing?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2005, 2:33 pm

How can you voice an animated character without...voicing an animated character?

Plus, it seemed to me that Rico talked.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 13th, 2005, 10:25 am

I'm not sure, I guess I meant just "making sounds" or whatever. Like Meg said, gasping or laughing.

I saw Mad for the first time last night. Awesome. Film.

I don't really remember Rico talking, although when he slices up the fish like sushi in the end he does go "Hi!" Japanese-style. Very cute. :)

What else did Rico say? I honestly can't remember. :oops:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 13th, 2005, 12:52 pm

Rico didn't say anything from what I recall.

I saw it again yesterday ^_^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 14th, 2005, 3:21 pm

Rico was the one with the spoon.... :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 14th, 2005, 4:18 pm

... Okay WHATEVER penguin it is that doesn't talk... he doesn't talk.

...yeah that came out beautifully.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 15th, 2005, 6:42 pm

post deleted
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 21st, 2005, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 15th, 2005, 8:50 pm

You know...

Opinions are opinions, and yours, with the greatest of respect, are getting really tired.

I actually agree with what he's saying in that most people do just live in the now - gawd knows how many people I know or read about who won't/can't even watch a black and white film or anything from before the 60s or 70s.

The best way I saw the Pixa/DreamWorks divide explained recently was the quote about it being like the 1930s and 40s, when the differences were between if you were a "Disney" or "Warners" type of person.

Luckily, most of us are above this and can appreciate ALL kids of animation, even those who fill themselves with pop-culture references in a bid to appeal to more families.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » June 16th, 2005, 3:24 am

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » June 17th, 2005, 12:28 pm

:roll: Y'know, I'm a little annoyed at something I keep reading in this thread. I keep hearing that the "adult humor" in a lot of Dreamworks films is unappreciated. I for one love it. The problem is not the adult humor. It's not whether Donkey kicks Shrek in the crotch or not. It's the fact that too many people still assume that animation equals kid-friendly. It sounds like a lot of you on these boards, alas, still have that mentality, too. Without realizing it you automatically assume an animated film means its a kids film or family film. Yes, I know that animation typically has great appeal to children, but it is not exclusive to them. As parents we need to determine if a film will be suitable for our children or not. What might be suitable for my kids may not be for others, but we need to be adults and figure that stuff out before heading off to see the latest animated blockbuster. I didn't find anything objectionable in the least about either Shrek film; most of the more adult stuff went right over my kids heads. I just think we need to be a lot less puritanical.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 17th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Well, I agree with you Ani. :)

What I don't agree with, and with Father Of The Pride in particular, is the pushing of such crude stuff in something that is blatantly marketed towards families.

The humor in such films as Shrek and SharkTale doesn't bother me in the least - I just don't think it's always as clever as the studio thinks it is!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » June 17th, 2005, 2:44 pm

AniMan wrote::roll: Y'know, I'm a little annoyed at something I keep reading in this thread. I keep hearing that the "adult humor" in a lot of Dreamworks films is unappreciated. I for one love it. The problem is not the adult humor. It's not whether Donkey kicks Shrek in the crotch or not. It's the fact that too many people still assume that animation equals kid-friendly.
Well... This kind of "adult humor" maybe is "adult" but it is not very mature ;) Not very sophisticated - nice and quite silly adult humor indeed ;) It is not bad, almost everyone sometimes enjoy it but it seems to be more appealing to teenagers who are so pleased (even proud!) of their brand new adulthood :)
Lack of this so-called "adult humor" doesn't instantly transform any film into a kiddie movie :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 17th, 2005, 3:16 pm

AniMan wrote:The problem is not the adult humor. It's not whether Donkey kicks Shrek in the crotch or not. It's the fact that too many people still assume that animation equals kid-friendly. It sounds like a lot of you on these boards, alas, still have that mentality, too. Without realizing it you automatically assume an animated film means its a kids film or family film... I just think we need to be a lot less puritanical.
The problem isn't an animated project with adult humor. The problem is when that project is marketed heavily to kids. Being against that is not being puritanical. Otherwise Joe Camel would still be around marketing cigarettes to kids!

That is not the big problem with DreamWorks however. They've apparently heard critics rave that Disney and Pixar films have something at different levels for adults and kids. They've misinterpreted that to mean we have to have a kids joke then an adult joke, kids, joke, adult joke, etc.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Uh

Post by fani » June 19th, 2005, 10:51 pm

I have to agree with ShyViolet on one thing. No I have not seen Madagascar but lately movie critics are getting stupider.

In a movie review you should mention three things

1. General plot
2. Why it sucked/good points and bad pints
3.conclusion

They hardly do it anymore...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 20th, 2005, 8:21 am

Most reviewers seem to take glee in revealing the whole plot as well!

In my DVD Toons reviews, that's something I am very concious of and steer away from. I know people like to know the general outline (and a bit more) but I try to basically set things up using what happens in the first act, and then point toward the second, leaving the (usually happy) ending out completely, or else there's no fun and no reason to see the title at all.

Of course, things usually work out for the best anyway, but it's the getting there that's half the fun, and to have it spoilt or heavily alluded too doesn't seem to do anyone any favors.