AV Forum Member

The Great Mouse Detective

Post by skyechan » July 2nd, 2005, 8:05 am

The Great Mouse Detective turns 19 years old today! :3

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 2nd, 2005, 2:56 pm

Um...okay...

Wouldn't it be better to wait and have a bigger celebration on its 20th Anniversary??

Welcome to the boards! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by skyechan » July 2nd, 2005, 5:15 pm

True and thank you. ^^; I celebrate it every year anyway. :3

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2005, 9:25 am

Mouse Tec is actually one of my favorite Disney films, because it is simply so much fun and has fun with the concept, despite some flaws.

In fact - and this is not endorsing bootlegging in anyway - Mouse Tec was one of the first Disney titles I ever was handed through "suspicious means" and for about a year it never stopped playing in my VCR. Then Disney started releasing the classics for real and I never saw Basil again until the theatrical re-issue in 1993, and then the VHS, remastered LaserDisc and DVD editions.

The Big Ben air chase never fails to get me excited every time, and Price is (excuse the pun) priceless in his big Disney villain role!

"You're not coming through..." ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 3rd, 2005, 9:50 am

Ratigan was just SO over the top in terms of being a villian. I loved it.

And I loved the big climax at the end where Ratigan finally gets so pissed that he REALLY acts like a rat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » July 3rd, 2005, 4:43 pm

I love it too. I know it was technically The Little Mermaid that revived the whole thing. But GMD is the one that did that for me. Such a huge step forward compared to Black Cauldron. You could tell people were having fun again. The #1 ingredient when making an animated film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2005, 8:16 pm

Although Disney always push Mermaid, they are very aware that it was Mouse Tec that really spured on the coming of the new artists.

In most of their modern retrospective promotions, especially when pushing the involvement of CGI in their animated films, they start with Mouse Tec.

In a wonderful trade ad for Dinosaur, there's a great collage of "great Disney moments" that they promote as getting them to that stage. First among the "new" films is...Mouse Tec.

Mermaid may have developed the hero/heroine-in-trouble musical template, but Mouse Tec laid the foundations for the technology.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » July 4th, 2005, 4:07 pm

that's very true. I forgot how Disney always promotes the Big Ben sequence. It's still an amazing sequence anyway. Even when compared to scenes in The Incredibles and all the big budget CG flicks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by skyechan » July 4th, 2005, 4:14 pm

The Big Ben chase gives me chills every time I see it. :3

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2005, 8:51 am

Mancini's change in score tone (from bright and stringy to dark, sparse piano and cello) goes a long way toward that feeling too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Great Mouse Detective

Post by LotsoA113 » March 20th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Don't know if there's a forum about this already or not. Thought I'd start one.

I love this movie. Like Oliver & Company and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, this film is an underrated gem. I may even buy the new DVD coming out in a few weeks.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by athena » March 20th, 2010, 12:46 pm

This is actually one movie I'm surprised they never tried a DTV sequel of since it would actually be somewhat logical. Not that I've ever been a fan of DTV sequels but at least here you could jump into Basil's next case and all the things you could do with that premise.
Keyframe - the Animation Resource
www.keyframeonline.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 20th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Agreed. More logical then Bambi II and The Fox and the Hound 2

I wonder what kind of bonus features are on the new DVD? Wish it could be on Blu-Ray...
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Great Mouse Detective

Post by droosan » March 20th, 2010, 3:40 pm

athena wrote:This is actually one movie I'm surprised they never tried a DTV sequel of since it would actually be somewhat logical. Not that I've ever been a fan of DTV sequels but at least here you could jump into Basil's next case and all the things you could do with that premise.
Especially since the movie was originally released as The Adventures of the Great Mouse Detective. I guess Disney shortened it because we only got to see one adventure. :lol:

IMO, Robin Hood would also have logically lent itself well to the DTV-sequel treatment .. but didn't get it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 21st, 2010, 7:04 pm

Oh my, Mouse Detective is one of my favorites and had there been a home video continuation or TV series I know it would've been a fixture of my childhood, regardless of the quality. Such a charming film, haha -- it's the way Ratigan practically drapes himself over every scene he's in, or the quirky mutterings and eye twitches of Basil, the great musical score, the soggy London streets, a phenomenal climax... ah, how sweet it is!