The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » April 24th, 2006, 10:27 am

Hey Violet,

"Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss?"

The producers do have pacing issues but the humour is funnyXD. Rent is just gorgeous.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: Pimpin all over the world...currently residing in Florida.

Post by 2good4u » June 27th, 2006, 10:02 pm

I love Rent!....I really wanna see the play.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2006, 4:19 pm

I finally got the Rent soundtrack! :) It's really good.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 7th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Yeah this thread is old but....here it goes.... :wink:

Past month or so:

The Sopranos Season 2, 4 and 5.

Futurama Volume 1

Silverado

Jurassic Park

The Lost World

The Sixth Sense

The Ten Commandments (1956 and Silent version) Special Edition

The Butterfly Effect

Requiem for a Dream

Rosemary's Baby

BTW, did anyone ever see or hear of "Freaks" directed by Todd Browning? (1932)

It's a cult film classic about a freak show in a circus. I saw a VHS version but it's out on DVD now. It was supposed to be "scary" and was banned in Britain for 30 years, I heard.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Freaks is brilliant.

I am split over that 10 Commandments. I have the 2-disc SE and the only addition is the silent feature. Nice but not essential.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 9th, 2006, 6:27 pm

My grandmother just gave us Best in Show today...It is SUCH a funny movie.

And I can't wait for that Narnia DVD!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 9th, 2006, 10:08 pm

The box looks like a wardrobe... :wink: It opens up and everything.

Also, the Silverado set came with a free set of playing cards. (although I don't play cards much, it's still kind of cool.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 10th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Best In Show is hysterical.

You should check out Spinal Tap, obviously, but also Waiting For Guffman and A Mighty Wind.

A new Guest comedy, For Your Consideration, looks at the hoopla surrounding Oscar season. I think it's released in the fall.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 10th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Freaks is brilliant.
I agree. It was riveting and left me somewhat unsettled.

"Gooble, gobble, gooble gobble, we accept her, one of us, one of us, one of us!"

:)

(Supposadly Browning tried to get big stars to act alongside the "freaks" but no star would agree, so he used unknowns.)

BTW I heard there's new Fly 4-disc set coming out.

It has:

The Fly (1958)

Return of the Fly

Curse of the Fly

The Fly (1986)

The Fly II (1989)

And of course lots of extras.... :wink:

I'm kinda split over it..... :roll:

The original 1958 (color) fly interests me the most. :) (I of course already have the SE 1986 Fly.)

And what's with the two original Fly sequels being B + W?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 11th, 2006, 12:11 pm

The original Fly, while being in color, was still a filler, or B-picture dressed in A colors.

When it came time for sequels, they were just rushed out quick and cheap. Only the first sequel is really worth seeing.

Is this set for R1? I know an R2 has been announced but nothing for the US yet. I would say to get the Fly disc separetely. The extras are nothing new, just a re-package (if the specs are the same as the announced R2 one).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2006, 10:55 pm

Only the first sequel is really worth seeing.
Isn't that about his son? (Return of the Fly) Funny how that's so similar to The Fly II. :)

I looked up the set on Amazon, but all they have is the 1986 SE from last fall. So I guess it hasn't come to Region 1 yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » July 16th, 2006, 10:36 am

Okay im really in to musicals and things like that.
My favorite made into a movie musical is "The phantom of the Opera" (the new one) But i havent seen rent yet.
I saw the producers in theaters and thought it was funny. Some of the scenes seemed to drag on and on and on...
When i see Rent i'll be sure and post what i think of it here.
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Not posted my new pickups in here for quite a while, but there HAVE been many!

Anyway, I just managed to git me paws on the Animaniacs and Pinky And The Brain sets - the covers are great and a lot more snazzy than the online pictures show. They come fully embossed with a nice shiny/sparkly foil effect. Animaniacs is the thicker set of the two, but both are good old fold out digi-paks. I'm guessing Animaniacs has an extra disc to Pinky And The Brain, but both look packed and nice sets to have (I haven't cracked 'em open yet).

WB points to the classiccartoons.com website on the back of the packs, so I guess these guys are now firmly part of the classic establishment. Though both are labelled Volume 1, it looks like Animaniacs is a season set as mentioned on the back of the packaging, but I'm not 100% sure. Sure great to be able to sit and see these again though!

Also picked up the Final Destination Thrillogy (love that name, and thought the first two movies were fun examples of the "teen slasher" genre that is otherwise fairly boring). I love that "Death" is the "villain" in these instead of some old washed up guy with a meat cleaver, so looking forward to the third, which I haven't seen yet, and the "choose their path" styled feature should be fun.

Completed my purchases today with Tales From The Crypt 4, Cagney's G-Men, Hitchcock's new Rope remaster (I'm choosing to get the H films I didn't already have individually since it seems I was the only one who hated the styling of Universal's box set last year), and the second season of the 1950s Invisible Man, which includes the very fun episode where he's up against an invisible army, and comes with another excellent lenticular front cover in its initial pressings.

On order from various places I have the new Grand Prix SE, Queen Kong (a terrible saucy Brit-com entry), the Pink Panther individuals that weren't in the Seller box set from last year, the Marilyn Monroe: Diamond Collection #1, which I decided on when the new 80th Anniversary set failed to include her best features (her movies I mean!), and another Marilyn, the new 2-disc Some Like It Hot, which will replace my previous SE.

PHEW!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 20th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Don't hurt yourself.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 20th, 2006, 9:50 pm

In Barnes and Noble there was this great Tennessee Williams collection of classic films like A Streetcar named Desire and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I would kill to have it...maybe eventually. :wink: