The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2007, 3:21 pm

K...I caved in...Amazon juts dropped the Vincent Price Scream Legends to $22.49!!

Now we do need a "Corman, Price and Poe Collection" with those out of print double features covering the rest of these films...!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 2nd, 2007, 12:26 am

That's a darn good price, I don't blame you for caving in. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 2nd, 2007, 3:20 pm

For anyone who might be interested: Amazon's Halloween Sale Includes Some Spooky TV-DVDs

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2007, 4:09 am

I'll try and keep this updated a little more! On the way from Amazon...

Where Eagles Dare
Felix the Cat: The Complete 1958-1959 Series
Surf's Up (Widescreen Special Edition)
Twilight Zone - The Movie
Poltergeist (25th Anniversary Edition)
Deadly Friend
Strange Brew
RKO 281 - The Battle Over Citizen Kane
Unforgiven (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Species (Collector's Edition)
Misery (Collector's Edition)
Vincent Price: MGM Scream Legends Collection

...and lots more later in the month, plus some screener copies of course! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 12th, 2007, 9:05 am

Just in: Galapogos (HD DVD), Hunchback Ultimate Edition, Jungle Book. There are a number just out that I'm waiting to pick up on BluRay, like Surf's Up, The Fly and Twilight Zone.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 12th, 2007, 11:23 am

Last mouth-Disney Princess:Enchanted Tales-Follow Your Dreams.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Guess OUAD didn't read my review, eh?

Hunchback Ultimate Edition - let me know what you think. I was disappointed with the Phantom due to ghosting and frame rates. Is this a PAL-NTSC job? I often find in those cases it's actually best to order in the German Kino or UK Eureka editions on some of these for the cleaner images.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 12th, 2007, 1:37 pm

Actually,i did but i love this DVD :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 29th, 2007, 1:03 am

Okay .. I finally took the 'plunge' into Blu-Ray, this weekend. :twisted:

I got the Playstation 3 60GB (which preserves the 'backward-compatability' with PS2 games .. a feature which has been removed from newer PS3's), and a 40" 1080p Sony HDTV which will play a dual role as a (huge!) computer monitor, since it has a VGA connection.

And I bought the Meet the Robinsons Blu-Ray disc .. bringing my total BD collection to 4; the other titles being Dragon's Lair, Corpse Bride, and Chicken Little.

Though, I'm already planning to nearly double that on Tuesday, which will see the release of Ratatouille, Cars, and the Pixar shorts collection ..

The discs look amazing. Better than the movie theater .. and that's no exaggeration. :shock:

Although, I feel DVD's video quality is plenty 'good enough' for most films; so I certainly don't plan to 'replace' my DVD's. Rather, I'm looking at BD as a 'showcase' format for particular films .. especially more recent, digitally-created titles.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 29th, 2007, 1:47 am

Good for you! I almost ordered all those Pixar and Disney titles last week, even though I dont yet have my player. Sadly, I'll have to hold off a little bit, having just put down a down payment on a minivan. Yes, we're a minivan family now, though my wife made it up to me by asking me if we could get a home theater projector when I get the BluRay player!!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2007, 8:06 am

Lucky, lucky man! ;)

Actually, both of you! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 11th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Haven't bought many dvds lately (my pockets are kinda empty after getting a tablet lol). But my last few purchases were

The Alvin and the Chipmunks Adventure

Rock and Rule, 2 disc collector's edition

And I bought the Swan Princess (A really crappy transfered version, terrible quality) but it was at walmart for only 2 dollars lol ^.^ How can I say no?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 11th, 2007, 10:32 pm

droosan wrote:Okay .. I finally took the 'plunge' into Blu-Ray, this weekend. :twisted:

I got the Playstation 3 60GB (which preserves the 'backward-compatability' with PS2 games .. a feature which has been removed from newer PS3's), and a 40" 1080p Sony HDTV which will play a dual role as a (huge!) computer monitor, since it has a VGA connection.

Ah, so you bought your PS3 four days after I got mine?

Now's definitely the time to get the 60GB model IF you want to preserve hardware compabibility with the highest percentage of PS2 titles. The current predictions is that the 60GB PS3 will be gone by the end of the year/first quarter of next year at the latest.

The 80GB model WILL play most PS2 titles through software emulation, but as anybody who owns an XBox 360 can tell you, software emulation is glitchy at best for anything made within the past 5 years. The 40GB PS3 doesn't even have software emulation as part of the package, period!

The good news about all PS3 models is that if the included hard drive isn't big enough for you OR if the HD breaks, you can pretty much buy a stock SATA drive from any computer store (Micro Center) and install it in a PS3. While the manual for the PS3 doesn't guarantee absolute compatibility with the PS3 for all SATA brand models, it's a comforting thought that you aren't forced to buy a brand-name (and hence more expensive) hard drive unlike X-360 owners.

(For people who absolutely have to have a large brand-name hard drive ready made for PS3, both Hori and Nyko offer 160GB replacement drives. Basically, they're just plug-and-play but you have to be retarded if you can't figure out how to install a hard drive in a computer with the instructions right in front of your face! :lol: )

Right now, I don't see a need to use the 60GB HD as a storage area for movies and pictures but it's neat to be able to change that drab standard backdrop for the PS3 menu with a customized wallpaper! (640X480 on a standard TV, or 1920X1080 for 1080p).

I don't have any Blu-Ray movie titles as of yet for my PS3, and I was thinking of acting on the 5 free Blu-Ray titles offer from BVHE, but I passed on that because most of the films on the "free" list are lousy. I'm thinking of the Pixar shorts collections, Ratouille (which I never saw in the theater), Surf's Up, and probably Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise.

I will probably wait and see on Spidey 3. No rush to get that one or Spidey 1 and 2 and Blu-Ray until they're available with decent extras...

P.S. -- Droosan, the 5 free Blu-Ray titles from BVHE is good through at least the end of January next year. Just google on "Free Blu-Ray titles" and you'll get a hit for a weblink to the coupon you have to send to BVHE. Unfortunately, sending in the coupon means you have to cut off the UPC bar code on the PS3 box AND send in the original copy of your system's sales receipt. (That is, unless you get the place you bought it from to print off an extra copy of the receipt OR you scan the receipt into your computer and save it there for posterity.)

The same day I bought my PS3, I also bought Ratchet & Clank Future as well as a cooler fan. The PS3 tends to run hot and I felt I could extend the life of the system with a Pelican fan. I originally had the Nyko fan, but it was a piece of junk and part of it didn't "click" on the PS3 properly. I much prefer the Pelican fan with its auto-on and -off feature and separate power supply. You can set the PS3 to standby mode while the Pelican fan continues to force hot air out of the system and cool it down. No need to shut off a fan with auto shut-off!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 12th, 2007, 1:42 am

I don't have any PS3 games, yet .. but I do have a few PS1 & PS2 games, so I figured it was better to buy one now, than wait. It's still hard for me to believe that Sony figures backward-compatibility isn't 'desirable'. :roll:

The only PS3 game title which even mildly interests me ATM is a 'driving' game based on Disney/Pixar's Cars ("Mater-national Speedway," or something like that) .. but it's $50+, so I think I'll wait until it's on the 'discount' rack, next Christmas. :wink:

Meanwhile, I did scoop up Ratatouille, Cars, and the Pixar shorts collection on blu-ray this past week, and also got the Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise boxed set a couple weeks back. All of them look amazing! :)

---------------------------

But the real 'crown jewel' of my blu-ray collection, thus far, is a japanese disc titled The Art of Disney, which contains a documentary video on the museum display from a couple years back .. consisting of materials from the Disney Animation Research Library, along with nearly 200 pieces from early Disney features which were recently 'rediscovered' in a japanese university.

The documentary, of course, is in japanese (with no subtitles) .. so it might only be of 'marginal' interest, except for the fact that:

Every single piece of artwork displayed in the collection is accessible in a full-screen 1920x1080 slide show! 8)

-----

edit/addendum: I should mention that there is also a standard DVD release of The Art of Disney, as well (which aparently does contain english subtitles for the documentary :shock: ). However, you'd need to have a 'multi-region' player in order to play it.

Sony has set-up a three-region coding 'scheme' for blu-ray .. but, happily, the U.S.A. and Japan are in the same region. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2007, 6:28 am

Wowser...me likey the looks of them apples! :)