The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 17th, 2005, 6:11 am

Bump, bump, bump it up! 8)

Yesterday, I just happened to recieve a new DVD from a trade section in another forum...a sealed Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Pluto DVD! I watched most of it yesterday and I love it! :D
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 17th, 2005, 12:25 pm

Here's a funny thing comparing the animated LotR with the live-action:

http://www.jerrythefrogproductions.com/ ... ction.html

This site also has many other 'puppet show' versions of well-known films; very funny. Check 'em out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 1st, 2005, 11:08 pm

I just got Simpsons Season 4 and Season 6.

Season 4 has the Monorail Episode--("I call the big one Bitey.")

Season 6 has one of my faves, Itchy and Scratchy Land! TOTALLY hilarious parody of you-know-where. :lol:

Oh yeah, and Tommy Boy, Special Edition. "Holy Schnikes!"

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » September 9th, 2005, 7:30 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I just got Simpsons Season 4 and Season 6.
I hope you enjoyed them! I have Season 4 on DVD and I love it. I also have Season 1 of the show on order, and the Region 1 gift set of Cinderella for pre-order (I got my dad to do it as I don't have a darned credit card :roll:).
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2005, 8:18 am

Just got back from NYC and brought back Lilo & Stitch 2 and Fire And Ice.

For the life of me, not ONE store within ten blocks of Times Square in any direction carried Rock & Rule, so I've had to order than online now.

I also picked up the DisneyLand 50th Annivesary* boxed set at World Of Disney, with the limited edition vinyl reproduction of Walt's first record - another classy product from the Disney vaults!

*Okay, this is not a DVD, but still fits in my DVD player and will go on my shelf next to my LaserDisc boxes, which were the ancestors to the DVD - oh why do I have to explain!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 11th, 2005, 4:34 pm

I hope you enjoyed them! I have Season 4 on DVD and I love it.
I did, thank you! :) Season 4 is just awesome, isn't it? I think my favorite ep of that Season was the "Gabbo" episode. "Worker and Parasite" East European cartoon is my fave.

I was never really into Season 1--it always seemed...weird to me for some reason. I watched it way back when when it first aired but....Simpsons is SO different now. The only reason I might get Season 1 is cause of the Commentaries--interesting to hear what motivated them to do those shows and how they reflect on them now.

One of my fave Simpsons moments is when they have the 1995 anniversery show with Troy McLure and deleted scenes (hey! Simpsons had deleted scenes down before any DVDs ever had!) and Troy's showing the original Tracy Ullman shorts. At the end of one they cut to him and he's got this: "What the???" look on his face, and then laughs in his usual phony way....LOVE that.

Hey Ben--how come no DVD reviews on DVD toons past Season 3? :?:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 11th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Also, just thought I'd announce that the Fly (1986) Special Editon complete with deleted scenes, trailers and director commentary is coming out in less than a month!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d&n=507846

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » September 13th, 2005, 9:31 am

ShyViolet wrote:I was never really into Season 1--it always seemed...weird to me for some reason. I watched it way back when when it first aired but....Simpsons is SO different now. The only reason I might get Season 1 is cause of the Commentaries--interesting to hear what motivated them to do those shows and how they reflect on them now.
I know, they are a bit odd, just because they differ from episodes that were yet to come. Season 1 does seem like a development piece. For example, characters have since been added and extracted since the show; when was the last time we saw Bart hanging out with a boy called Lewis, saw psycyatrist Dr Marvin Monroe get a huge role or had no sight of characters like Gill and Mayor Quimby? And when compared to later seasons, Season 1 seems more a normal family sitcom rather than a cynical, fast paced adventure in 20 minutes. I still like it though, and the jerkier animation can be somewhat cute.

By the way, what happened to Dr Marvin Monroe? I once heard that in Springfield, he was six feet under...
-Joe

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 13th, 2005, 10:43 am

Right, he died along with Bleeding Gums Murphy. (I never liked his character much anyway) Along with Maude Flanders that's three Simpsons characters who are dead. :roll:

One character I love that you don't see all that much is Roger Meyers Jr., the son of Roger Meyers, creator of Itchy and Scratchy. It's so obvious that RM Jr. is based on Michael Eisner. Alex Rocco (who played Moe Green in the Godfather) does an amazingly accurate job as the all-powerful executive who says things like: "I could puke in this fountain pen, mail it to a team of monkeys and come up with better scripts!" or "The rest of you, start thinking of a name for this Funky dog. Something like, I don't know, Poochie. Only more proactive." Then when Homer says he has a list of ideas to improve the Poochie show Meyers goes: "Great, just drop it on the floor on your way out." When Marge tries to ban Itchy and Scratchy, Meyers makes the point that: "There was violence in the world, long before cartoons were invented!"

:lol:

when was the last time we saw Bart hanging out with a boy called Lewis
Who's Lewis again? Is he the kid who was nauseous all the time?

Plus I don't know if anyone remembers but Smithers was black in Season 1, and Martin had a different voice. The series definetely had a more conventional feel compared to nowadays, since they were still in the experimentation stage, finding their way. Also they had to be in some kind of recognizable format as to not completely alienate audiences.
Yesterday, I just happened to recieve a new DVD from a trade section in another forum...a sealed Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Pluto DVD! I watched most of it yesterday and I love it!
You lucky guy! :) I envy you... :wink: (j/k)
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 30th, 2005, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » October 11th, 2005, 1:43 pm

Okay, in the past few weeks, I was very naughty and bought...

Cinderella: Gift Set (it arrived in the mail yesterday :mrgreen:)
The Emperor's New Groove: Collector's Edition (on its way though ;) )
My Fair Lady: Special Edition (present for somebody else, though :cry:)
The Simpsons: Season 1
The Simpsons: Season 3
Looney Tunes: Golden Collection Vol 2
ShyViolet wrote:
when was the last time we saw Bart hanging out with a boy called Lewis
Who's Lewis again? Is he the kid who was nauseous all the time?

Plus I don't know if anyone remembers but Smithers was black in Season 1
Lewis wasn't the vomitting kid (that was Wendell, I believe); he was a young African American kid who sounded a bit like Martin. There was also Richard, who was a kid with a cool hair cut and a diamond shape on his top. As for Smithers being black, I believe that was actually a mistake in ink and paint but just in one of the episodes (Homer's Odyessy is the only show where he's an African American).
Last edited by Wonderlicious on October 20th, 2006, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2005, 2:34 pm

Right, the whole Smithers thing was just a screw-up at the animation studio I believe.

BTW as far as DVDs I just got 28 Days Later, Hook, and Like Water for Chocolate.

I really want Batman Begins. (It's coming out any day now.)

Plus Pocahontas, still haven't gotten that.... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 11th, 2005, 2:55 pm

If I don't get the 1st season of Lost on DVD soon my head is going to explode.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 11th, 2005, 2:59 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Right, the whole Smithers thing was just a screw-up at the animation studio I believe.
I remember Chief Wiggom (is that his name?) being black, too. I think it was in "Who Framed Krusty" or something.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2005, 4:55 pm

I think he looked kind of tan in that episode, although not Black. But Moe's hair used to be blue I think.

The designs were very, very different back then. Plus did you know there's a couch gag where the family's about to sit down are horrified to see their Tracy Ullman selves already sitting in the couch! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2005, 7:20 pm

I picked up the Cinderella box set last week, but I came in yesterday with...

Hitchhiker’s Guide,
Ben-Hur,
The Fly SE,
South Park 6,
Adventures of Superman TV box,
the four Batman movie box
and Robots.

Sad thing is, I go away tomorrow and won't be able to see anything on any of them!