The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by Randall » November 20th, 2010, 10:57 am

GeorgeC wrote: (The BD + DVD Combo is new for a Ghibli release.
Actually, Ponyo got the BD+DVD treatment too.

And, as I'd like to point out to all the other websites saying so incorrectly, Nausicaa is not a Ghibli movie. (I know George knows this, and that it's easier to just include it in the Ghibli canon for most intents and purposes, but I'm a stickler ;) ).

The Ghibli films often look a little soft anyhow, but I'll be interested to see how much of a video upgrade it really is. There will likely be some improvement, but I'd bet it's subtle. Still, it'll be a good excuse to watch the film again, as I rather liked it when I saw it the first time.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: The New DVD and Blu Thread

Post by Dan » November 23rd, 2010, 6:37 pm

Stuff I've picked over the past few days

DVD
- Eclipse Series: Larisa Shepitko
- Tanner '88

Blu Ray
- By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volumes One and Two
- Charade
- Last Year at Marienbad
- Enchanted
- The Expendables
- The Complete Metropolis

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » December 8th, 2010, 11:10 am

I got Wall E, Shrek The Halls, Avatar, How to Train Your Dragon and Apocalypto as Birthday presents.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 8th, 2010, 11:29 am

Nice haul! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 2nd, 2011, 8:45 pm

Yesterday, I got Disney's (1951) Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray + DVD combo pack, and Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated Season One, Volume One on DVD (which contains only the first 4 episodes -- I shouldn't reward WBHV's decision to release partial seasons rather than complete season sets .. but, oh well :oops: ).

I also ordered the Dirty Pair TV Series Part 2 DVD boxed set from The Right Stuf. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 2nd, 2011, 9:54 pm

I picked up Alice today, using Disney's $10 off coupon (good for only 3 days). Yesterday, while picking up Gossip Girls S3 for my wife (it's her birthday today), I also found Fringe S1 on BD for $30, A Passage to India BD for $10, and Unbreakable BD for $14. The good deals rewarded Best Buy with purchases. (I believe it was actually my first Best Buy purchase in Canada; my town just got one a few months ago, and I normally order online anyway.)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 3rd, 2011, 10:09 am

I bought Shrek Forever After and Toy Story 3 for my Christmas present money. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TouchstonePics » February 3rd, 2011, 4:14 pm

What DVD/Blu-Ray is everyone looking forward to picking up next week?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 3rd, 2011, 4:54 pm

Chaplin, Megamind and The Last Unicorn are the next few titles on the list for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » February 3rd, 2011, 4:55 pm

Any word regarding a release date for a Blu ray for Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Dick Tracy(1990), Heavy Traffic, and Doom?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 3rd, 2011, 5:28 pm

Doom's already out on Blu-ray, but as for Roger Rabbit, Dick Tracy and the Rocketeer, anyone know if there's legal troubles standing in the way of most of Disney's '85-'95 Silver Screen Partners movies?
Most of the others weren't classic, but apart from "Pretty Woman", they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth after one quick budget-DVD release. (Even "Ernest Goes to Camp" showed up at another house.)
droosan wrote:I also ordered the Dirty Pair TV Series Part 2 DVD boxed set from The Right Stuf. :mrgreen:
(sigh)...My Blu budget's so strapped, it was only through Christmas charity that I was able to get the Pair v1, and only a $10-off coupon that made me brave the slush to pick up Alice this week.
Well, that's February--Now there's March, with only Bambi, Excalibur, The Mikado (1939), Topsy Turvy, and Nausicaa to go, before Tron in April. :(
Last edited by EricJ on February 3rd, 2011, 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 3rd, 2011, 10:49 pm

I'm both excited and worried for the new Last Unicorn Blu Ray. Will it's features be better than the 2007 DVD? And what about the menu, will it just be recycled with that crappy country guitar music? I wanna see a new menu with a song by America!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 3rd, 2011, 11:09 pm

You know you're a die hard fan when you're that concerned about the menu music, . ;)

All Star Superman and Megamind are my other pick-ups for this month, after getting Alice this week.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 3rd, 2011, 11:55 pm

Sorry, but I truly care for the quality for any blu ray or DVD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » February 4th, 2011, 5:49 am

EricJ wrote:Doom's already out on Blu-ray, but as for Roger Rabbit, Dick Tracy and the Rocketeer, anyone know if there's legal troubles standing in the way of most of Disney's '85-'95 Silver Screen Partners movies?
With Roger Rabbit, I imagine them holding it off until the sequel comes out in a couple of years.