AV Founder

Re: Space Jam 2

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2021, 10:20 am

Rabbit-In-Law?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2021, 3:16 pm

The main image comparison I see being shared on Twitter isn't even real. The Space Jam Lola side is fan art.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 6th, 2021, 5:02 pm

I don't want every thread on the forum to be taken over by the same "cancel culture" discussion, but we've reached peak level stupid here...

https://deadline.com/2021/03/new-york-t ... 234708479/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 6th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Causing every online telephone-gamer who read only half the story to think one editorial is now "legislation", and that "Warner is CANCELLING Pepe!"

UWN. (Uh, What? No.) :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 6th, 2021, 9:26 pm

What's kinda funny from the whole select fanbase moaning about the perceived de-sexualizing is that, through some of the artists I watch and/or follow, a number of female artists have seen this as an opportunity to make Lola theirs, resulting in some very cool fan art and illustrations popping up.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2021, 5:16 am

Just wanted to point out, as my dry Brit wit can sometimes go unnoticed or missed, that my remark above was not me remarking on Lola's de-sexualisation. It doesn’t bother me either way one bit, since she’s an animated character, for one, and was drawn as much at the time to reflect the kind of sports wear that women were — and actually still are — wearing.

It’s great that Lola can wear what she wants and that it has inspired others to champion her and this, but at the end of the day, we are sexual animals who present ourselves in such ways so as to attract a mate, from what we wear, to whatever products we put in our hair or on our faces. I guess she’s still allowed to wear the make-up and blusher, even though this is probably less practical, even for a cartoon bunny, than a loose t-shirt for playing sport.

But, hey-ho, like I said, I’m not actually "against" it, either way. To be honest I never really noticed Lola that much: she was never as attractive as when Bugs Bunny put on a dress and played a girl bunny... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 7th, 2021, 5:43 am

Ben wrote:
March 7th, 2021, 5:16 am
But, hey-ho, like I said, I’m not actually "against" it, either way. To be honest I never really noticed Lola that much: she was never as attractive as when Bugs Bunny put on a dress and played a girl bunny... ;)
On appearance, I'd put her on par with Bugs as a Daisy-Mae in "Hillbilly Hare", but for character, Bugs was far less obnoxious. :lol:

But let's face facts, Lola will never escape her stigma of "the Fake One", and "You actually freakin' WATCH Space Jam??"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 7th, 2021, 11:48 am

Lola's been around for over two decades and has appeared in more than just the one movie. Like it or not, she's now a bona fide looney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 7th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Sure, pal. Just like the big red monster with the sneakers is named "Gossamer".
Whatever Warner says. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Chuck Jones named it Gossamer. Good enough for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 7th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Yep. Although I believe Eric is referring to him originally being called "Rudolph". He's hardly the first character to go through a name change.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2021, 2:56 pm

Rudolph was a completely different big red monster with sneakers! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 7th, 2021, 3:07 pm

Ben wrote:
March 7th, 2021, 2:42 pm
Chuck Jones named it Gossamer. Good enough for me.
I don't consider "Duck Dodgers & the Return of the 24th-1/2th Century" good enough for anyone, but I'm not sure if I'm alone on that. :?
If you consider post-retirement Chuck and his sudden 80's-00's burst of self-referencing narcissism, to be "real" cartoons, then sure, why not, let's lump the Space Jams and the HBOMax toons in there, too, fun for everyone!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 7th, 2021, 3:16 pm

I mean, they wouldn't be making Space Jam 2 if there weren't people who liked the first one...

And Lola's garnered an even bigger fanbase thanks to her being a regular on The Looney Tunes Show (where she also got a redesign, but the internet didn't freak out over that one).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 7th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Dacey wrote:
March 7th, 2021, 3:16 pm
I mean, they wouldn't be making Space Jam 2 if there weren't people who liked the first one...
...OH, YOU POOR SWEET SUMMER CHILD!!!! :lol:

Of course not, Warner would never be that desperate to flog the one association they think they can still make with their Looney franchise, in the starving search for a House Brand name! That'd be like...doing a Tom & Jerry movie, 'r something!
And even if they did, they'd never be so ridiculous as to put self-referencing Harry Potter and Batman characters in it! :wink: